Singapore Expats

Two Month stay, what to do??????

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Credit Card

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 1:18 pm

muratkorman wrote:I know that different conditions may apply on credit cards depending on the country. In my case, I have a Turkish Visa Card obtained from a Turkish Bank. There is no commission applied for transactions (including overseas) and the exchange rates are daily rates which are reasonable. My bill is being paid in Turkey from my Turkish account.

I only use it for transactions more than 100 SGD, but until now I didn't have any problem with it.

Perhaps it would be better for Lively1nc to check his credit card terms and conditions before using it.
Same as with muratkorman. I use my Philippine bank-issued credit card and there's no surcharge. The bank just uses their conversion rate to convert the SGD to Philippine pesos (Thank God their conversion rate is not that high compared to current exchange rates).

Better call the customer service of the credit card company and check what are the surcharges.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 4:03 pm

muratkorman wrote:It is very easy to exchange money through exchange offices. There are so many all around Singapore and their rates are reasonable. I never tried exchanging money in a bank, but I suppose these offices provide better rates.
Actually, the opposite is true. You will get a better rate exchanging cash at a money changer (if not at one of the tourist hang outs) than you can get for bank wire transfers... and bank cash rates are worse.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 6:25 pm

The most consistent best exchange rates (I have found that is) can be had in most any of the moneychangers on the second floor of "The Exchange" and next door to them at the Raffles Place MRT.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 8:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
muratkorman wrote:It is very easy to exchange money through exchange offices. There are so many all around Singapore and their rates are reasonable. I never tried exchanging money in a bank, but I suppose these offices provide better rates.
Actually, the opposite is true. You will get a better rate exchanging cash at a money changer (if not at one of the tourist hang outs) than you can get for bank wire transfers... and bank cash rates are worse.
If you read carefully, that's exactly what murat said :cool:

I find Mustafa the best place in Singapore to exchange most currencies. The exchange booths in Changi, on the other hand, often have miserable rates for everything except USD.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Kimbely

hi

Post by Kimbely » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 8:42 pm

Planning for a two months holiday in Singapore . I need to make a wire transfer . Can anyone suggest me about the charges , I have a Citi bank account .

Kimbely

Shankar
Regular
Regular

more spoil brats.

Post by Shankar » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:37 am

Agree with you on your views about this forum. People are more interested in screwing people or giving obscure answers. The most frustrating part is that people who have no clue about what the post is for, ensure that they answer a "I don't know" as a long paragraph.

The moderator too could have styled is language differently by putting it as " ensure that you do not flout any visa rules" rather than asking whether a person is Guilty.

Anyways, as to your problem, Mustafa is the best for exchange rates, but I see that your problem more is "how to bring in cash into the country, without a bank account".. will pm you.

Cheers!!!
lively1nc wrote: but I am really disappointed in the lack of information provided from all of you. The Moderator blasts me for some lame attempt of accusing me of abusing a tourist visa? What’s up with that? If you are supposed to help people, then why can’t you just answer some simple questions?
Anybody who would like to provide me with some helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]
recently attained my Nirvaana and became a Budha.