Singapore Expats Forum

work prospects in singapore???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Paw

work prospects in singapore???

Postby Paw » Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:32 am

Hi all,
I am a Polish guy who can speak fluent English, good French and a little Russian.
I am interested in moving to Singapore, but I will need to get a job locally as I haven't gotthe opportunity to move with a large multi-national.

I have a Masters in Business with specialization in Human Resources and have experience of working in the office of LOT Polish Airlines in London, behind the bar of a busy pub, as well as working as a research assistant in a well known London film & TV archive. I hear that economically things are fairly depressed in Singapore at the moment, but what do you think my chances are of finding work.

Will my languages help - esp as Poland is about to join the EU? ANY information would be of great help.

Thanks

dragonboat

Postby dragonboat » Thu, 11 Dec 2003 2:10 am

Hi Paw,

Kindly refer to www.jobs.com.sg for a list of recruiting firms. You should be able to find what you need. Singapore is pretty open when comes to employing foreign talent. CHeerS

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:44 am

Open, yes, but the job market is not good and, for any jobs that can also be filled by a local, being an expensive foreigner and requiring employment passes and all that will be major hindrance. Remember that you will only have 14 days to find that job after you have arrived in Singapore, and just living those 14 days in a hotel will be expensive!

So if you can, line up the job before you get here. Your unique angle would be speaking Polish, try contacting any Polish companies with offices here...?

prodigy

Postby prodigy » Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:23 pm

jpatokal wrote:Open, yes, but the job market is not good and, for any jobs that can also be filled by a local, being an expensive foreigner and requiring employment passes and all that will be major hindrance. Remember that you will only have 14 days to find that job after you have arrived in Singapore, and just living those 14 days in a hotel will be expensive!

So if you can, line up the job before you get here. Your unique angle would be speaking Polish, try contacting any Polish companies with offices here...?

I totally agree, opening up to the newspaper classifieds Job section would also wld faciliate. But now that times are bad, it's really not easy to receive a call from a company tell you ' you've been shortlisted, please come down for an interview'. (Better than winning LOTTO here)

Other options include online job sites like:

www.jobsdb.com

www.jobstreet.com.sg

Or get yourself registered with the headhunting firms. Or even better, like jpak mentioned- try the Polish offices or embassies :?: