Singapore Expats Forum

Dengue Fever

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 3:24 pm

Yes SMS
but we don't live in the dark ages anymore.
sure if we didn't have things like Plumbing or efficient removal of refuse. then other diseases would spread too such as Cholera.

As for Bird Flu there haven't yet been many reported cases of human to human transmission from what i remember. Regardless I think Even China is doing a good job of killing all the infected chickens immediately (well at least they tell us so).

in singapore i think you fear a greater threat of:
sunburn, getting scared by that artificial woman on the pack of cigarettes, AIDS, Dehydration, and getting bitten by the Tse Tse fly and getting African Sleeping Sickness.

Ok well i just wanted to say Tse Tse but seriously that is a threat too. run for the hills.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 5:18 pm

The bitgest problem here is complacency on the part of home owners. Almost 80% of the breeding sites found are within the residences of homeowners and not construction sites as one might believe if you look at the waters laying around in those sites. The sites are oiled regularly, but the private homes are not. Several years ago (about 3 or 4 I believe) we had a malaria scare in Changi. Seems that a local went to india and contracted malaria but did not show signs until returning to singapore. Unfortunately, he was bitten several times after returning to changi so it was all out war once it was found out that he brought it back with him and had "infected" some of the local mozzie population with his infected blood. It doesn't take much, even in a first world country. Remember how long it took for the US to own up to having a number of Mad Cow episodes? My brother in law had Dengue and it put him into the hospital for almost 10 days. And he's a big strapping fellow. As was said before, just because your mozzie breeding places are dry don't mean your neighbours are.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 4:43 am

regarding your last statement.
i just think that's true everywhere.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

I may have dengue

Postby Thaiclan » Wed, 27 Jun 2007 8:09 pm

I have had general malaise for the past few days, accompanied by a couple of nosebleeds daily for past 5 days. Yesterday I noticed an itchy rash on my chest which has since spread to back of neck and abdomen. I went to the Dr this morning and he suspects dengue and has sent some blood off to the lab. I get the results tomorrow. He told me there is an epidemic going around and if the test does show dengue I may have to have a hospital stay due to the nosebleeds.
We live in a condo and the management are constantly raising mosquito erradication methods. Its such a small amount of water required its almost impossible. Ironically we lived in Thailand 5 years prior and I constantly got bit by mosquitos - here I can count on 2 hands how many times I've been bitten in the past year! Yet I never got sick in Thailand! Sods Law! haha

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Wed, 27 Jun 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Thaiclan, sorry to hear that and I hope for your sake that it isn't dengue.

I'm not sure if it always takes the same route, but have you had any bad headaches? Mine were killers, and they were before the fever and much before the rash. In our cases (husband also) the fever went up and down for a few days too before we went for our bloods - kept thinking it was flu and we were on the mend.