Singapore Expats Forum

LEGAL ADVISE FOR DISTRESSED HUSBAND

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

HUX123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 28 May 2007
Location: Kuala Lumpur

LEGAL ADVISE FOR DISTRESSED HUSBAND

Postby HUX123 » Mon, 28 May 2007 1:33 am

I left my wife (8) months ago after years of both emotional & physical abuse. It is not easy for a man to report he is being abused by his wife, because you sound like a sissy.

The current problem is my seperated wife out of spite has started a campaign to try and destroy my name and business by telling my suppliers and clients many lies about me and at the same time also disclosing secret business information.

I am based in Malaysia and operate a Malaysian Company, but she has contacted many of my Singapore Clients and even told them I was arrested and currently on Charges of Corruption etc.

Due to the above I would like to find a lawyer in Singapore to assist me, but don't know where to look. Both my wife & myself are Australian's but were married in Singapore.

Additionally to legal advise, I would appreciate any support from people with experience in my problems (So far suffering in Silence)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: LEGAL ADVISE FOR DISTRESSED HUSBAND

Postby ksl » Tue, 29 May 2007 3:44 am

HUX123 wrote:I left my wife (8) months ago after years of both emotional & physical abuse. It is not easy for a man to report he is being abused by his wife, because you sound like a sissy.

The current problem is my seperated wife out of spite has started a campaign to try and destroy my name and business by telling my suppliers and clients many lies about me and at the same time also disclosing secret business information.

I am based in Malaysia and operate a Malaysian Company, but she has contacted many of my Singapore Clients and even told them I was arrested and currently on Charges of Corruption etc.

Due to the above I would like to find a lawyer in Singapore to assist me, but don't know where to look. Both my wife & myself are Australian's but were married in Singapore.

Additionally to legal advise, I would appreciate any support from people with experience in my problems (So far suffering in Silence)

It appears you may be able to sue her for defamation in Singapore quite easy! But you may need the proof of what she's been up to! Best of luck you'll need it, My ex has been married 4 times now over the last 37 years since our divorce, and whenever anything happens between her and my adult kids, I still get the blame!

It's called love! :lol: She's still peeved that i wouldn't take her back, after she made the first mistake of leaving after an affair! Talk about women scorned! they can be a menace, i try to always keep the peace with her, and know better to keep quite. Talk about living nightmares, although you could try some carribean black magic! :lol:

I'm careful with what I wish on people these days, because some power of thought seems to work!

yabe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 22 May 2007

Postby yabe » Tue, 29 May 2007 11:19 am

Get a hitman?
They are relatively cheap in Malaysia and Indonesia.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Re: LEGAL ADVISE FOR DISTRESSED HUSBAND

Postby Splatted » Wed, 30 May 2007 2:19 am

HUX123 wrote:I am based in Malaysia and operate a Malaysian Company, but she has contacted many of my Singapore Clients and even told them I was arrested and currently on Charges of Corruption etc.


Well that one is dead easy. Visit your clients (starting with your most important ones & work your way down) - take them out for a casual business lunch - conduct yourself as normal as if nothing has ruffled your feathers. It will be obvious you aren't in prison.

If the question is raised about your wife - just be frank about the situation, without hanging out your dirty laundry before your clients or rubbishing her. It will show your professionalism & instill trust in you.

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Postby Winxkid » Wed, 30 May 2007 3:19 am

yabe wrote:Get a hitman?
They are relatively cheap in Malaysia and Indonesia.


This doesnt go with the direction of this thread "legal advise....."
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Wed, 30 May 2007 10:20 am

yabe wrote:Get a hitman?
They are relatively cheap in Malaysia and Indonesia.


Can be done but this is a pretty final soultion and should be given a lot of thought before goign that way. Such services are pretty easy to get from Malaysia but I recommend you just ignore her and get on with life.
Be Like Water

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 30 May 2007 4:24 pm

HUX123,

The other members have already given good advice. ksl's advice about getting as much evidence as you can will help your legal case. I did check out what is the definition of defamation under Singaporean legal system.

Under the Penal Code:
"499. Whoever, by words either spoken or intended to be read, or by signs, or by visible representations, makes or publishes any imputation concerning any person, intending to harm, or knowing or having reason to believe that such imputation will harm, the reputation of such person, is said, except in the cases hereinafter excepted, to defame that person." (Source: http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/ For full text, check this link.)

So you need to gather plenty of evidence to show "bad faith" on your ex-wife's actions (because your wife could use the first exception defined in the law). Better ask a Singaporean lawyer (one admitted to practice law in Singapore) on what type of evidence will be considered as showing bad faith.

If you need lawyers, contact the Law Society of Singapore. This is their website: http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/index.shtml

You need to protect yourself legally as well as making sure that you appear professional & trustworthy to your business contacts.

Just hang in there! Don't try to let your ex manipulate you into getting back with her. You may also consider getting professional counselling help to help you deal with the trauma that your ex has inflicted on you.

Good luck!
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

angel_rose
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon, 26 Mar 2007
Location: On earth "Values are only measured by the importance it has to you"

Re: LEGAL ADVISE FOR DISTRESSED HUSBAND

Postby angel_rose » Thu, 31 May 2007 12:06 am

HUX123 wrote:I left my wife (8) months ago after years of both emotional & physical abuse. It is not easy for a man to report he is being abused by his wife, because you sound like a sissy.

The current problem is my seperated wife out of spite has started a campaign to try and destroy my name and business by telling my suppliers and clients many lies about me and at the same time also disclosing secret business information.

I am based in Malaysia and operate a Malaysian Company, but she has contacted many of my Singapore Clients and even told them I was arrested and currently on Charges of Corruption etc.

Due to the above I would like to find a lawyer in Singapore to assist me, but don't know where to look. Both my wife & myself are Australian's but were married in Singapore.

Additionally to legal advise, I would appreciate any support from people with experience in my problems (So far suffering in Silence)


HUX123,You can lose all your money but not your HONOUR :wink:......and i believe many poster here can give you some good advices,all the best.
*lo que siembres cosecharás
quien siembra vientos recoge tempestades*

HUX123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 28 May 2007
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Thanks for the advice so far

Postby HUX123 » Thu, 31 May 2007 1:16 am

Today received legal advise, want to protect my rights and at the same time not do anything negative back to her (Two Wrongs do not make a right).
** That Rules out the Hit Man or the Carribian Magic

Did find out today that there is in Singapore a Grounds for divorce in Singapore when your Spouse displays extremely negative behavior.
This seems to fit my situation.

Thanks for the advise so far

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Re: Thanks for the advice so far

Postby Asian_Geekette » Fri, 01 Jun 2007 9:17 pm

HUX123 wrote:Today received legal advise, want to protect my rights and at the same time not do anything negative back to her (Two Wrongs do not make a right).
** That Rules out the Hit Man or the Carribian Magic



Well, as they say... good or bad it may be, it will all come back to you three times (Rule of Three).

Just do the right thing. Hang in there. It's going to be a tough ride but once you get through it, you'll be a much stronger person.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ashnd76
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue, 19 Jun 2007

Postby ashnd76 » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:15 am

sure you can go for defamation i.e slander, but bear in mind that the evidential for defamation and the liability are strict, in other words you got to have a very strong case.

Even defamation cases involving Spore leaders take years, and they are represented by Senior counsel or equivalent to Queens Counsel.

Since there's a likelihood that it'll involve evidence from Malaysia, Singapore and Aust, it might get tougher, but thank God all three are common law countries.

Since you mentioned she disclosed company secrets? assume clients database or confidential financial records? Then if she was a director, you can go after her under breach of director's duty under Company Law, whcih is more straight forward rather than defamation.

It can get complex can there are issues of family law, contract, tort and criminal law here, so you decide.

trikal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 06 Jun 2007

take legal advise locally.

Postby trikal » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:35 pm

Firstly you should seek advise locally for your business you say is registered in Malaysia. Things work better through chamber of commerce / high commissions, especially since you say that your business is affected.

Forget about doing things illegally. It can bounce back on you in a nasty manner.

Try to gather evidences. You must sure by now, know some client who may come forward to help you in this. You may also hire a private detective to pretend as your client and record her conversation.

But if you have a status in Singapore, you can take a personal protection order. A few of your clients may just have to certify that she has been trying to spread news about your business.

But I see it more as a psychiatric problem. Some just need help to come to ground. So empathise and take some help from common friends or her relatives to distract her attention. So if you have money Appoint some "Love thugs" who can ease her mind.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests