Singapore Expats Forum

Where to get the best deal for Rolex watch?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zratter

Where to get the best deal for Rolex watch?

Postby zratter » Sun, 27 May 2007 12:02 am

Guys,

I am thinking of getting a Rolex in Singapore. May I know where is the best place to buy them? How much discount should I be asking the Authorized Dealers? I went to Hour Glass and they quote me 15% off. I believe there should be other places that offer more. Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 May 2007 2:27 pm

I know where you can get one for $15 dollars! :wink:

May I ask an innocent question?

Why buy a rolex in the first place?

It is neither:
1. an investment (investments normally are made with the idea of increasing in value - a Rolex does not. It just decreases slightly slower)
2. Exceptional complications (nothing there either)
3. Design? (dated to say the least); OR
4. "Perceived" cachet? (not to say it still has any but fair enough - it's your money)

Cute anecdote:

A few years ago my wife (singaporean) wanted me to buy a "Good" fake Lolex (these can be had in Hong Kong for around $100 Sgd) They come with Seiko movements so are very accurate as well. I told her no and she wanted to know why. At the time I was traveling all over SE Asia and told her the last thing I wanted to happen is to pull up to a traffic light in the 'peens or Jakarta and have my arm hacked off at the elbow for a $100 copy watch. My arm is a lot more valuable than that!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Where to get the best deal for Rolex watch?

Postby ksl » Tue, 29 May 2007 3:58 am

zratter wrote:Guys,

I am thinking of getting a Rolex in Singapore. May I know where is the best place to buy them? How much discount should I be asking the Authorized Dealers? I went to Hour Glass and they quote me 15% off. I believe there should be other places that offer more. Thanks!

Actually while cleaning my new house I found a rolex box hidden in the ceiling, it had been there 22 years, according to the date on the documents and purchase slip. It was a rolex date adjust or something and the price was 5.500 Sing$ in 1984, the guy actually got 1000$ off on a cash purchase! That will give you some idea of what to expect! Although I do know they could easy drop 50% if they wanted.

Like SMS says its not a good investment! I bought my 1400$ Seiko kinetic on ebay from Singapore supplier for 700$ parallel import! Cost is 1800 Sing in UK, So I'm happy with a 1000$ :P No flies on this kid, collect assets and not liabilities!

SMS:A few years ago my wife (singaporean) wanted me to buy a "Good" fake Lolex (these can be had in Hong Kong for around $100 Sgd) They come with Seiko movements so are very accurate as well. I told her no and she wanted to know why. At the time I was traveling all over SE Asia and told her the last thing I wanted to happen is to pull up to a traffic light in the 'peens or Jakarta and have my arm hacked off at the elbow for a $100 copy watch. My arm is a lot more valuable than that!
Quite true! Let me know if you change your mind ha! A friend of mine in UK gave 350 pounds for a superb copy lolex, the best i had ever seen, it was aquired from the Irish gypsies, japanese made too!

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Tue, 29 May 2007 7:19 am

I agree with what SMS / KSL say.
Rolex blows.

Depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for the Daytona, you'll have to pay a premium.

If you're looking for the ugly submariner or whatever that piece of crap is called...if you want a new one ... you should be able to get no more then 25-30% off at most. If you're ok with used ... there are SO MANY available ... there's a good place called monster time in far east plaza on scotts road or in penisula plaza where all those camera stores are? there are a few watch places that sell a lot of used rolexes.

Rolexs blow. But they're great if you want to impress people who don't know anything other then they think you are wealthy if you own a rolex. To me it's like the person who buys the BMW 1 series with manual windows, manual locks. haha.

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Where to get the best deal for Rolex watch?

Postby deb96 » Tue, 29 May 2007 8:42 am

zratter wrote:Guys,

You can shop around Peoples park and check out the discount each shop offers.
Personally I trust Hour glass and Sincere. I got mine at $3.2k and now i have a offer of 5k.

Happy shopping
Debs

supari

Postby supari » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 2:39 pm

You should be able to get a discount of 30-35% from the listed price. I bought Omega and Philippe Patek and this is what i got. You will have to negotiate hard and take the list price discount it by 30-35 points and tell them if they will match the price.

Happy Hunting

fumei
Regular
Regular

Postby fumei » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 2:00 am

At raffles hotel shop also can get discount :D