Singapore Expats Forum

From India, Want job in Import Export Trading Co.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 8:28 pm

Beware SMS your sins will find you out. :P

By the way your off topic :P :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 9:23 pm

Plavt wrote:Beware SMS your sins will find you out. :P

By the way your off topic :P :lol:

That's why it's not in the strictly speaking forum! :P

Oh, after I found out the basics online I did ask her last night as well, after I PM'd you.

chixchix,

You say you are a local indian? Correct? How many dialects do you understand? At least 4 and possibly 5? You are probably fluent in Hindi and Urdu right? plus you have probably got a pretty good working knowledge of both Punjabi and Malayalam. correct? And you probably know enough Tamil to get around seeing as how it's the largest of the Indian dialects spoken here. Shall we continue? So why shouldn't my wife understand some of the other dialects as well? :wink:

Anyway, I was just trying to prove a point. You have to be careful what you write as others like even a dumb ole farmboy like myself can find enough online dictionaries and translators to be able to figure out what the general gist of something is even if it's not a literal translation. :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 5:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Anyway, I was just trying to prove a point. You have to be careful what you write as others like even a dumb ole farmboy like myself can find enough online dictionaries and translators to be able to figure out what the general gist of something is even if it's not a literal translation. :)

Hey sms,

Why do you always have to downplay your abilities and call yourself a "dumb ole farmboy"? You seem pretty wise (for your age) and streetsmart. Not to say very internet savvy. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 7:15 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Anyway, I was just trying to prove a point. You have to be careful what you write as others like even a dumb ole farmboy like myself can find enough online dictionaries and translators to be able to figure out what the general gist of something is even if it's not a literal translation. :)

Hey sms,

Why do you always have to downplay your abilities and call yourself a "dumb ole farmboy"? You seem pretty wise (for your age) and streetsmart. Not to say very internet savvy. :)

Cause when they start believin' it that's when I can blindside 'em! :P

Also, cause I don't got no paper saying I'm theoretically smart! :wink:

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 8:06 pm

Now I know SMS ,,you must be so free to go and find out my translation over the net... :D
Always have a smile on that face!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 8:29 pm

chixchix wrote:Now I know SMS ,,you must be so free to go and find out my translation over the net... :D

Initially I did, but as your localized spelling of romanised Hindi is so bad (no offense) it was rather difficult because initially I wasn't sure if it was Hindi or Urdu due to the many similarities between the two. After I had a general idea what the topic was about, I did ask my wife later for more help. While she is not 'fluent' in Hindi, you don't live 60 years in the varied Singapore Indian community without learning considerable amounts of the other major languages found here (like the chinese with their mandarin also knowing a goodly amount of hakka, hokkien, cantonese and so forth).

The point I was making is anything you write on a public forum can be "overheard" by those who don't necessarily know the language. :wink:

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 9:13 pm

:-| ok lah ok lah ,,SMS you are so naggy ....hhmmm no offence yeah .. :) Anyways even though I am local Indian ,I only understand my own language Punjabi and Hindi. Not the rest like Malayalam...Usually those who are Tamil speakers will be able to understand Malayalam,,and whatever other dialects that South Indians have.
Always have a smile on that face!