Singapore Expats Forum

Express couriers (esp Fedex and DHL) experiences

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
sonicdragon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 12 May 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Express couriers (esp Fedex and DHL) experiences

Postby sonicdragon » Fri, 25 May 2007 5:35 pm

Hi

Can anyone relate any expereince of the relative merits of express couriers operating in Singapore - in particular DHL and Fedex (but also TNT and UPS) - I am intererested in general levels of service (published transit times), customer service, on-time deliveries etc. We have a lot of outgoing shipments to Japan, Australia and the US west coast, and a lot of incoming from Europe (esp UK, Germany, Austria).

Thanks !
SD

E-T
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu, 24 May 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby E-T » Fri, 25 May 2007 8:46 pm

Only these? Ever consider using shipments other than these?

sonicdragon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 12 May 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Postby sonicdragon » Fri, 25 May 2007 9:53 pm

E-T wrote:Only these? Ever consider using shipments other than these?


I would consider others, yes. The criteria is as follows:
1. we ship 30-50 outgoing shipments every day with an average weight range of 0.5Kg to 3Kg, and delivery must be overnight to major cities in Japan Australia, USA, and Europe. We have collections 3 times per day in order to meet flight schedule deadlines for certain destinations.
2. We have 5-10 inbound shipments per week, with an average weight range of 20-50Kg, mainly originating in UK, Germany and Austria. 2 day service is required with local delivery before 11AM. We do not require consolidation.

Thanks
SD

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 25 May 2007 10:36 pm

sonicdragon wrote:
E-T wrote:Only these? Ever consider using shipments other than these?


I would consider others, yes. The criteria is as follows:
1. we ship 30-50 outgoing shipments every day with an average weight range of 0.5Kg to 3Kg, and delivery must be overnight to major cities in Japan Australia, USA, and Europe. We have collections 3 times per day in order to meet flight schedule deadlines for certain destinations.
2. We have 5-10 inbound shipments per week, with an average weight range of 20-50Kg, mainly originating in UK, Germany and Austria. 2 day service is required with local delivery before 11AM. We do not require consolidation.

Thanks
SD


So, the big players are/have developed computer systems to make themselves attractive to you. What they are trying to offer is a "solution" instead of package delivery. If you search around you may find local shippers who can do what you want but you are in a much more uncertain market. The big guys are known quantities.

DHL has been around forever. UPS is working hard to take business away from them. I think you will find UPS cheaper by some percentage points. Certainly, from my limited experience UPS is more responsive, and they don't have minor irritations like inbound and outbound shipper numbers that DHL has.

Only way to know for sure is to call the shippers. My money says you will get a bunch of confused people at DHL. UPS will be more on the mark to quote exactly what you need.

sonicdragon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 12 May 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Postby sonicdragon » Sat, 26 May 2007 8:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sonicdragon wrote:
E-T wrote:Only these? Ever consider using shipments other than these?


I would consider others, yes. The criteria is as follows:
1. we ship 30-50 outgoing shipments every day with an average weight range of 0.5Kg to 3Kg, and delivery must be overnight to major cities in Japan Australia, USA, and Europe. We have collections 3 times per day in order to meet flight schedule deadlines for certain destinations.
2. We have 5-10 inbound shipments per week, with an average weight range of 20-50Kg, mainly originating in UK, Germany and Austria. 2 day service is required with local delivery before 11AM. We do not require consolidation.

Thanks
SD


So, the big players are/have developed computer systems to make themselves attractive to you. What they are trying to offer is a "solution" instead of package delivery. If you search around you may find local shippers who can do what you want but you are in a much more uncertain market. The big guys are known quantities.

DHL has been around forever. UPS is working hard to take business away from them. I think you will find UPS cheaper by some percentage points. Certainly, from my limited experience UPS is more responsive, and they don't have minor irritations like inbound and outbound shipper numbers that DHL has.

Only way to know for sure is to call the shippers. My money says you will get a bunch of confused people at DHL. UPS will be more on the mark to quote exactly what you need.

That's an interesting perspective. I'll definitely check UPS. Thanks.

FWIW, I have found UPS in Hong Kong to be close to incompetent with missed pickups, deliveries to the wrong address for incoming and a lot of breakages.. On the other hand DHL have proven to be excellent in HK with 24/7 pickups and deliveries, as well as scheduled pickups, and only 1 local breakage in 5 years. Their transit time to our major outgoing desitnations (Japan, Australia and USA) are the same as Fedex, although they have a later cut-off time which is an important factor for us. However, their rates on small (<3Kg) shipments are higher so we consequently use Fedex for a lot of our outgoing. Also Fedex has a better US network.

My understanding is that DHL has a big regional hub in SIN with direct flights to most asian destination and also some direct flights to/from Europe, and with such a short flight to the main regional hub in HK that it won't affect our sevice too much. It remains to be seen whether DHL SIN has lower overal rates than HK (although this is what I have been told).

Any further insiight much appreciated.

E-T
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu, 24 May 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby E-T » Mon, 28 May 2007 2:46 pm

I'll give it a pass, since my friend's company don't do anything less than 45kg.

DHL is your best bet here in Singapore.

sonicdragon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 12 May 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Postby sonicdragon » Mon, 28 May 2007 6:57 pm

E-T wrote:I'll give it a pass, since my friend's company don't do anything less than 45kg.

DHL is your best bet here in Singapore.


I guess your friend's company is a freight forwarder, rather than an express courier ?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 May 2007 9:28 pm

sonicdragon wrote:FWIW, I have found UPS in Hong Kong to be close to incompetent with missed pickups, deliveries to the wrong address for incoming and a lot of breakages.. On the other hand DHL have proven to be excellent in HK with 24/7 pickups and deliveries, as well as scheduled pickups, and only 1 local breakage in 5 years. Their transit time to our major outgoing desitnations (Japan, Australia and USA) are the same as Fedex, although they have a later cut-off time which is an important factor for us. However, their rates on small (<3Kg) shipments are higher so we consequently use Fedex for a lot of our outgoing. Also Fedex has a better US network.

My understanding is that DHL has a big regional hub in SIN with direct flights to most asian destination and also some direct flights to/from Europe, and with such a short flight to the main regional hub in HK that it won't affect our sevice too much. It remains to be seen whether DHL SIN has lower overal rates than HK (although this is what I have been told).

Any further insiight much appreciated.


This is very interesting information. I have signed up with UPS after using DHL for quite some time. Mostly for cheaper rates and better office staff in SG. But, my volume is low and I have only shipped to the US. Very good to know about HK incompetence.

I would have to say that UPS has its work cut out for it. Building a business in the Asian environment does take special skill, and DHL has had time to master it.

deveb
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat, 16 Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby deveb » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 2:36 pm

Have anyone got any comment on Fedex. I have use Fedex once to ship a Parcel to Japan. The process is very easy. And there is this tracking number that you know where is the current location of your parcel. I guess the other big player should have also.
The other time i try to use Fedex to collect sth from Shanghai China. I was told the person/company in China must has a Fedex A/c in order to have the item collected. In the end, I ask my friend in Shanghai to collect the item from my customer and has the item sent to me. He is supposed to use my account so I pay for the freight, but the staff told him that it would be easy if he used his account instead. So defeat the purpose of me applying for an account.
Talking about applying for account, I get push from one CS to another , and take more than 2 week to have the a/c setup.
Fedex offer cheaper freight charges compare to UPS which I asked, and that is why I decide to sign up with Fedex and go through all the hassle.
Anyone has the contact of other courier or freight forwarder that I can used to either ship item in/out Singapore?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests