Singapore Expats Forum

Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Way_Fast_Whitey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 13 May 2007

Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby Way_Fast_Whitey » Tue, 22 May 2007 3:58 pm

I'm just curious about their experience good/bad etc. :roll:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 May 2007 5:04 pm

It has it's good points (cost) and and bad points. Always some kind of festival, funeral or other excuse to make noise at ungodly hours of the night or morning at the void deck. This also has it's good points if you've taken the time to get to know your neighbours as you usually get invited (a face thing). Course condo dwellers have the ability to use gyms with broken equipment, pools with screaming kids who pee in the pools (course public pools aren't any different it that respect) but have free parking normally. HDB estates have to use season parking from URA which I think is $50 or $70/mo.

If you are on a housing allowance (cash upfront & you pay) and are here for a couple of years only and want to experience the Singaporean way of life, you can save a bundle of bread.e

I bought my HDB flat of 1300+ SqFt 8 years ago and have no real regrets at all. It has allowed me to park my funds in other types of areas not quite as subject to wild fluctuations as the local property market has been over the past 8 years or so.

The disadvantage for me is that it has given me HBP (I think - I didn't have it until I moved into the unit). I think being a good 'ole farmboy and having to look at bars on the windows and doors day in and day out has done it. That and no ability to run out the front door into the dewy grass in the morning!

Also, if you are not the type of person who likes to assimilate with the locals, then I don't recommend HDB estates at all. There used to be a lot of expats here like that but most are getting better in that regard.

sms

Way_Fast_Whitey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 13 May 2007

Postby Way_Fast_Whitey » Tue, 22 May 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for your insights sms! Pardon my ignorance..."HBP"??? What's that?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 May 2007 6:31 pm

Way_Fast_Whitey wrote:Thanks for your insights sms! Pardon my ignorance..."HBP"??? What's that?


High Blood Pressure! :cry:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby ksl » Sat, 26 May 2007 4:58 am

Way_Fast_Whitey wrote:I'm just curious about their experience good/bad etc. :roll:
Just moved in 3 weeks ago, and still decorating. Very quite where I am, ground floor level maisonette 4 inline block with plenty of parking.

Neighbours very helpful, thought our washing was knicked one day at 10 a.m in the morning, came back at 6pm to find it hanging again :???: They had kindly taken it in because of the rain, and put it out again!

We have been introduced to those in the block, seems a very friendly bunch that have lived side by side for 20 odd years, strange that no one had moved in all that time, I thought!

Apparently Singaporeans like to live higher up, than ground level, and don't like to walk very far to the shopping mall. For me its just a 10 minute walk, with no effort, my cat seems to be just as lazy as the locals and is still using it's cat tray instead of going outside!

We get a few stares, when we visit the local hawkers, although everyone seems quite civil, and my daughter is adapting very quickly to the different dialects and languages.

But like SMS says, you can't beat the open air farm land, I prefer Denmark any day of the week! To hot for me here! Heat rash at the moment, is killing me! Although I will make the best of it for a few years.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 May 2007 12:43 pm

Hey ksl! Where you been? UK or Taiwan? Holidays?

Welcome back!

:D

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 26 May 2007 2:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey ksl! Where you been? UK or Taiwan? Holidays?

Welcome back!

:D

Just popped in for a break from all the fuss of moving, and decorating the place myself, which brings back memories of elbow grease, but worth it in the end! DIY man is the best policy for garanteed work and self satisfaction :lol: After seeing whats been done by some of the local contractors!

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Re: Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby Splatted » Sun, 27 May 2007 1:26 am

ksl wrote:Apparently Singaporeans like to live higher up, than ground level, and don't like to walk very far to the shopping mall.


Hi KSL,

Funny you should mention that. When looking at flats a few months back, the inlaws advised us to find something 5th floor and above. I found this rather odd, but the reason behind it was that depending on the time of year you can have issues with the smell coming through the rubbish disposal chuites if you live too close to ground zero.

Apparently there is also the issue of cockroaches and rats closer to ground floor, though, I think this bit is just heresay.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 May 2007 2:12 pm

Splatted wrote:Funny you should mention that. When looking at flats a few months back, the inlaws advised us to find something 5th floor and above. I found this rather odd, but the reason behind it was that depending on the time of year you can have issues with the smell coming through the rubbish disposal chutes if you live too close to ground zero.

Apparently there is also the issue of cockroaches and rats closer to ground floor, though, I think this bit is just heresay.


I've also been told that it's:
1. relative to one's perceived position (from the way I see it - it's still HDB) possible I guess
2. cooler if not using air-conditioning (less airflow blockage) true
3. tends to be above the street level noise (true)
4. would agree on the ground level smells depending on the refuge disposal building. As far as the chutes are concerned I doubt it seriously as most don't keep their chutes open and even if they did, rubbish create compote which creates heat which rises so those on the top floors would ultimately have the problem for longer until the topmost one opens their chutes to release the pent up hot air/aroma into their flats.
5. heard the cockroach one but don't believe it either. They have found 3m boas in HDB stairwells on the tenth floor.
6. it is true however, there will be less mosquitoes breeding as most will stay lower to the ground levels. This unfortunately will stay so as long as the lower levels don't start breeding. Then they will rise up one or two stories at a time if they can finds breeding places within their territory. An example is that there are mozzies on the top of Mt. Faber which is a lot higher than most flats.

I live in a 2nd floor walk-up by design. At the time I moved in I had a rather large black 4-legged member of the family that had been with me for some 11 years since a puppy. While she wasn't technically allowed, I wasn't about to get rid of a dog that had been with me a year longer than my son! This alleviated the need to use the lifts and was only a one flight walk up and the flat is fronted by a park. Due to it's low level however, I was able to get the flat for a good price because of the noted perceived reasons.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 May 2007 3:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Splatted wrote:Funny you should mention that. When looking at flats a few months back, the inlaws advised us to find something 5th floor and above. I found this rather odd, but the reason behind it was that depending on the time of year you can have issues with the smell coming through the rubbish disposal chutes if you live too close to ground zero.

Apparently there is also the issue of cockroaches and rats closer to ground floor, though, I think this bit is just heresay.


I've also been told that it's:
1. relative to one's perceived position (from the way I see it - it's still HDB) possible I guess
2. cooler if not using air-conditioning (less airflow blockage) true
3. tends to be above the street level noise (true)
4. would agree on the ground level smells depending on the refuge disposal building. As far as the chutes are concerned I doubt it seriously as most don't keep their chutes open and even if they did, rubbish create compote which creates heat which rises so those on the top floors would ultimately have the problem for longer until the topmost one opens their chutes to release the pent up hot air/aroma into their flats.
5. heard the cockroach one but don't believe it either. They have found 3m boas in HDB stairwells on the tenth floor.
6. it is true however, there will be less mosquitoes breeding as most will stay lower to the ground levels. This unfortunately will stay so as long as the lower levels don't start breeding. Then they will rise up one or two stories at a time if they can finds breeding places within their territory. An example is that there are mozzies on the top of Mt. Faber which is a lot higher than most flats.

I live in a 2nd floor walk-up by design. At the time I moved in I had a rather large black 4-legged member of the family that had been with me for some 11 years since a puppy. While she wasn't technically allowed, I wasn't about to get rid of a dog that had been with me a year longer than my son! This alleviated the need to use the lifts and was only a one flight walk up and the flat is fronted by a park. Due to it's low level however, I was able to get the flat for a good price because of the noted perceived reasons.


Interesting although the ground floor suits me fine, having lived in Taiwan for 4 years on the 5th floor, with no elevator! Cockroaches don't seem to bad around here, I've seen 3 in 3 weeks, and they where on their way to the next life, after my cat had played russian roulette with them. Same goes for the geckos'.

Smell haven't noticed it yet! Although it can't be so bad, considering I have worked for Danish Crown in the slaughter house, God! now thats something to face at 6 a.m in a morning walking past the tarm department!

The heat is without a doubt troublesome for me, if I am active in the household, which I am of course! :oops: Even at my age! So the price goes up for the air conditioning to be turned on ha!

Otherwise it's fans only for the last couple of years, the other apartment was a little cooler, that i have noticed, and it was only on the first floor.
I can't help wondering if it's the humidity, that makes it feel hotter than it is, because in Greece and Malta all the buildings inside seem very cool and drafty, in comparison.

Reminds me of the days I used to count off in the dessert, when i was stationed out there! days to do are getting few! Although god knows where I will end up, literally speaking that is!

One problem bugging me are the ants! everywhere, is it wise to have the place debugged every now and then? I think even my cat gets a bit peeved when she sees her food walking away from her! :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Any Caucasians here living in HDB? If so, how is it??

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 May 2007 3:08 pm

ksl wrote:I think even my cat gets a bit peeved when she sees her food walking away from her! :lol:


sssssshhhhhh! You did say HDB? Mine little calico disappeared after 8 years about 2 years ago. Because she was so friendly hopefully someone catnapped her and also gave her a good home (she was a stray that I adopted many years ago in Seletar Camp). Unfortunately, I somehow feel that AVA might have gotten her in one of their roundup that they conduct in HDB estates seeing cats aren't allowed. I couldn't even go to them to check! :cry: :mad:

I think it's probably one of HDB's stupidest rulings ever!

angel_rose
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon, 26 Mar 2007
Location: On earth "Values are only measured by the importance it has to you"

=))

Postby angel_rose » Tue, 29 May 2007 2:10 am

Hi,I'm not Caucasian but i just want to share this with you all...I've been living in hdb for few years before i moved in to my present condo and honestly,i still prefer hdb.It's been more than a year now and i still don't know my neighbours,unlike in hdb when i got to know most of them very well...When I was locked outside my house in hdb,my friendly neighbour let me stay at her house for a while till the locksmith came to the rescue and i still can't forget special ginger coffee that she made for me,yummy :lol:
*lo que siembres cosecharás
quien siembra vientos recoge tempestades*


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests