Singapore Expats

Legal advice needed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
devion23

Legal advice needed

Post by devion23 » Tue, 22 May 2007 12:34 am

Currently I have ran into problems with a UK based online gambling site.It is intending to lodge a police report in Singapore. Will the Singapore police acknowledge an UK based online gambing company?

The matter was due to a failed online money bank transfer which the gambling company acknowledged by simply accepting a jpeg screenshot of the bank transfer statement by the bank. Since the money did not get credited because I decided to cancel the transfer, the gambling company decided to lodge a report against me.

Any advice? Should I make the payments in case I can run into more trouble with the police?
I know online gambling is not really being favoured in Singapore...so I was hoping that the police might not want to take up a case with relations with an online gambling company.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 May 2007 6:15 am

Not enough information.

Did you owe them the money? Or were you just building an account to play? Did you play their website/lose money after they accepted the transfer? Does their website state the terms and conditions of sending them money?

Why did the wire transfer fail?

devion23

Post by devion23 » Tue, 22 May 2007 7:00 am

I cannot talk in too details here. Basically I did play and lost the money.The bank rejected the transfer.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 May 2007 8:23 am

devion23 wrote:I cannot talk in too details here. Basically I did play and lost the money.The bank rejected the transfer.
I'd say you owe them the money and should take all necessary steps to see that they are reimbursed. Otherwise you will be open to theft charges.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Tue, 22 May 2007 3:54 pm

why don't you call a lawyer?

sounds like you're looking for free legal advice.

i would suggest you look at the terms / conditions agreement you signed (probably by clicking on a box when you set up your account).

devion23

Post by devion23 » Tue, 22 May 2007 6:06 pm

Yes, I am seeking legal advice.....but am not sure how much it would cost me for that....I heard that Chinatown point has lots of lawyer firms.

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Winxkid » Wed, 23 May 2007 4:38 am

its still a pretty grey issue in Singapore. Its gonna be a pretty tough fight anyway. Save up to get yourself a consultant, dude :wink:

As its a grey issue internationally.. You can actually find loopholes to go about doing it. Anyway, ya, depending on the charge brought towards You. You might pretty soon get a letter of Summon from the Courts :evil: . I think reaching a settlement is the best way to deal with

God bless

E-T

Post by E-T » Thu, 24 May 2007 8:17 pm

If they are registered and based in UK, they have no legal grounds in Singapore. They will have to go through their own legal structure to put up a case.

Secondly, this is not a criminal case relating to Fraud. The police will not handle this issue here in Singapore. At best, the website will put up a civil lawsuit against you.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 25 May 2007 3:56 pm

Depending upon how much you owe them I would move to Thailand or Indonesia. Singapore Police will follow up on this complaint if it comes from the British Police - Govt to Govt style. Doubt they would follow up on a complaint direct from an English company only but you never know especially if we are talking large sums.
Be Like Water

ashnd76

Post by ashnd76 » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:19 am

Singapore law follows lock stock and barrel from English Common Law, albeit there are some differences whereby our Criminal Penal Code follows India, but then again India was once a British colony.

So if they want to pursue a criminal action against you, they can.

Under English law, you can be brought back, tried and sentence in UK, eventhough the crimes are committed elsewhere.

Thats the Royal Prerogative in action.

Especially with the new Fraud Act 2006 just being implemented, it gives the authorities in UK more power.

ashnd76

Post by ashnd76 » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:19 am

Singapore law follows lock stock and barrel from English Common Law, albeit there are some differences whereby our Criminal Penal Code follows India, but then again India was once a British colony.

So if they want to pursue a criminal action against you, they can.

Under English law, you can be brought back, tried and sentence in UK, eventhough the crimes are committed elsewhere.

Thats the Royal Prerogative in action.

Especially with the new Fraud Act 2006 just being implemented, it gives the authorities in UK more power.