Singapore Expats Forum

A first for me

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

A first for me

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 20 May 2007 10:01 am

I actually found myself feeling sorry for a taxi driver.

Just the other night i flagged down a cab. The old uncle agreed to take me home even though he was about to change shift. Just chatting away about how many more cars there were nowadays etc and he mentioned life was getting tougher now he also didn't work late at night because of the robberies!!! What robbieries I asked. Turns out ( according to him) theres a lot more cabbies getting robbed and people just walking away with out payment!
Is Singapore getting more violent? Will we end up with cabbies behind little cages like China n Taiwan ?
I guess we all know how lucky we are here with Taxi's being so cheap and its sad these old guys are getting scared.

PS he also told me how he was scared of all the big ang moh men with shaved heads nowadays.
I told him shaving your head makes you bald not tough! :D
And while on the subject whats with all the "hair fall" adverts. What happened to good old hair loss.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 21 May 2007 1:21 pm

simple solution. just put cameras in all the cars. they do that in NYC. so starting to get more cabs that don't have the 6 inches of bulletproof glass.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Mon, 21 May 2007 4:02 pm

huggybear wrote:simple solution. just put cameras in all the cars. they do that in NYC. so starting to get more cabs that don't have the 6 inches of bulletproof glass.

Yes and please add a voice record too - just to show how annoying some cabbies can be when they start interrogating you.

Where are you from?
How old are you?
Where do you live?
How much rent do you pay? How many bedroom flat?
What is your monthly income?

sigh...
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 May 2007 7:59 pm

I believe that a number of years ago the idea of camera's in taxis was mooted but if I remember correctly the people most opposed to the idea was the drivers themselves. I think it had something to do with stiffing the passengers, going the long way around and other bits that the drivers were/are famous for. Like rolling down the window to ask where you are going to before they let you get into the vehicle that way they can avoid having to go someplace where it's doubtful that they will get a paying fare back into town (Seletar Camp used to be a good one before the SLE - lived there for 15 years).