Singapore Expats Forum

Men and plants

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Alexander

Men and plants

Postby Alexander » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:42 pm

Men and plants,

This is a chance for all the plant loving men out there who are willing to share their deep secrets with another plant loving man (wow, this sounds really umn...yea).

Ok maybe women know about plants too? So feel free to enlighten me with your wisdom.

People..I purchased two plants today...I have very little sunlight in my room (i.e no direct light, and just enough to read letters from my pen-pals in the middle of the day..just). Is there anyway I can purchase some sort of funky 'plant' lamps to help them grow (that one goes out to all you EX dope growers ;)) - or if i take them out for a walk in the sun ..how many days a week and for how long would I need to do this for?

...now I know the first thing you arer thinking!! "Umn...Alexander..what kind of plants are they!"..... My answer to that is! This is my first step into my feminine side (sorry ladies..plants are a lady thing), I want to take this one step at a time..right now..i know they are plants..maybe next week i'll know what kind (but this isn't an easy thing for me to do.).

But if it helps..they are really green and leafy, one is in a blue/white pot (looks great with my floor tiles)..the other is in a maroon one. They are alive and need light..so help me help them :).

Advice on special lights? Mirror rigging to redirect sun, rough sun requirements..that kinda thing. Google has so many conflicting views, i'd rather put my faith in the minds of my fellow Singapore expats.

Thanks people, Another lovely day in the sweaty Singapore! congrats for making it through,

Alexander

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:38 pm

Elementary, dear.

1. When the plants start dying, take them outside in the sun.

2. If they recover, bring them back in and repeat step 1.

3. If they die, buy another plant and repeat step 1.

If the above proves too complicated, get a wife. At least that doesn't need sunlight.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:45 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:If the above proves too complicated, get a wife. At least that doesn't need sunlight.

Just copious quantities of SK-II whitening cream which costs a fortune. Better do it my way, much to my wife's dismay. Buy plastic plants. Then you only need to dust them or occasionally put them in the shower and hose 'em down.

:wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Buy plastic plants.

Yuck. That's the equivalent of a mannequin for a wife. And you being a farming boy and all... tsk tsk. Nah, real or nothing.

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Thu, 17 May 2007 1:32 am

Mannequin for a wife, hmmmmmm........sounds good as she will be mute but who's gonna dust the plastic plants?

Alexander, there are such lights used for horticultural displays in buildings but I'm afraid where they are to be found in Singapore and how much I do not know.

Wonderful though it is for you to have found your feminine side it might have been a good idea to have kept in contact with your logical, male characteristics and asked in the shop for plants that like shade.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 May 2007 6:35 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Elementary, dear.

1. When the plants start dying, take them outside in the sun.

2. If they recover, bring them back in and repeat step 1.

3. If they die, buy another plant and repeat step 1.

If the above proves too complicated, get a wife. At least that doesn't need sunlight.

This is very funny!

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Thu, 17 May 2007 7:58 am

Alexander

I disagree with the statement that plants are a lady thing.

Farmers spend there whole life with plants and at least in the European countries most of the farmers are men.

In regards to your plants- one idea is to find the type of plant on the internet. Once you have the name of the plant. DO another search to find out the needs. Low light, acidic soil, moist soil, ect. Go to some nurseries and observe where they have they're plants. I have been to a few here and the staff is usually very friendly and helpfull.

A good rule of thumb for light needs is. A broad leaf plant needs more sun the a thin leafed plant. So a plant that has wide and meaty leafs will need more sun light than a skinny thin leafed plant. However a plant with dense skinny leafs require more sunlight than a sparsly leafed plant.

I have also noticed that most of MY (not my wifes) plants I have noticed in different areas of the island. Take note of the enviroment they are in and judge from there.

Also remember that even plants have a natural cycle. If you start lossing leafs it is not necessarly a bad thing the plant may just be going threw its natural cycle.

I have a plant that around this time of the year it losses all its leafs. Right before the leafs start falling it flowers thus spreading seeds before the leafs fall. Then the cycle starts all over again.

As far as wartering goes. You can guage your water needs in most plants by the apperance. If the plant looks sad or tired. It needs water. But be carefull you can very easily drown a plant.

If you like where you plant is located and need additional light. Find a lighting store. The type of bulb you will need is a grow bulb. They will have a light blue tint to it rather than the powder white frosted bulbs.

Fluorescent lights of any type will add some nutrients.

Another place that it may be easy to find a bulb is an aquarium/fish store.
Most fully aquatic plants have to have sun light as well. the sub terrain aquatic plants need even more.

IF you go into a fish store here do not tell them what you are doing just simply tell them you need a flourescent bulb for fish tanks plants.

Most importantly when dealing with plants is- Talk to them, they love music, not gentle music music with some beat. I am willing to bet that Chinese music wold be greatly appriciated.

Sorry about any typos as there is no spell check.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 17 May 2007 11:16 am

Could you post pictures of the plants? I find that the stems (e.g. succulent vs woody) and leaves can sometimes provide clue on the nature of the care needed.

Take my advice if you dare! I have killed more plants than I can remember :o .

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Thu, 17 May 2007 11:26 am

Oh yes. Somepeople are toxic to plants.

No matter what they do the die.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 17 May 2007 1:23 pm

Alexie,

The best of horticulturists/botanists are men!!

Congrats on developing a green thumb. Well done.

WIMH, you are hilarious!!
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 17 May 2007 2:07 pm

1843, that's not a very nice thing to say. And for that, I am gonna give your nick to my mom. She plays 4D :P .

And for the record, for every plant that I killed, there's one that survive. So I would say I have pretty good success rate. I don't play too much music to them. But I caress them a lot. And like my husband, sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't :P .

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Thu, 17 May 2007 3:30 pm

earth-
Your sucess rate is only 50%. That would make your thumb light green. :lol:
If your mum wins 4D I get half. :lol:

Alexander

Right!

Postby Alexander » Thu, 17 May 2007 8:36 pm

Ok far out thanks people. Big thanks to one843 for your novel response, i've taken it all in. And for the others thanks.

I'll try taking some photos, but Sarah and Jam are really shy - they haven't said a word back since we started talking..not one ;)

But thanks people.

Cheers,

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Right!

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 17 May 2007 11:09 pm

Alexander wrote:Ok far out thanks people. Big thanks to one843 for your novel response, i've taken it all in. And for the others thanks.

I'll try taking some photos, but Sarah and Jam are really shy - they haven't said a word back since we started talking..not one ;)

But thanks people.

Cheers,

You need to get them some breeze for them to make some noise! ;)
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?