Singapore Expats Forum

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Thu, 27 Sep 2007 4:22 pm

1 2 3 4 5,

I work in the Banking industry. The line of work is not what is important but rather the role. Is it a Local role or is it a Regional/Global. That is what dictates the travel. For example, you can be in Sales, but are you in Local sales or Regional sales? This would apply to all the other functions, be it Risk Management, etc. Is it Local Risk Management or Regional Risk Management. So on and so forth. You are right, consultants travel extensively because the role requires it.

Just think about it. The First/Business class sections in most SQ flights are almost always packed (at least that is the case when I travel - not surprising that SIA is so profitable). Is everybody travelling in that section in the same industry and doing the same line of work? I don't think so. It can be very diverse in nature.

What field/discipline are you currently studying by the way?

I do agree with Missy_a that being a Cabin Crew is a great way to see the world and I too share the same view that being paid to see the world is something fantastic. However there are other options if you fail to meet the airlines stringent selection criteria, or if you feel that being a Cabin Crew is not your cup of tea. But if it is your dream, then go for it!

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 27 Sep 2007 5:40 pm

Stu wrote:
I do agree with Missy_a that being a Cabin Crew is a great way to see the world


I disagree; cabin crew don't get too stay too long in any particular place; on the London route they arrive one day are free the next and return home the following. You will get too see Oxford Street and the famous parts of London or if you choose to some very touristy spots outside London but that's all. Yes you are seeing the world but in a stilted form since you can never know or really understand a society in such a short time. However, some enjoy doing that plus the fact some cabin crew have relations in the country they visit.

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Thu, 27 Sep 2007 7:20 pm

Plavt

That is true. Nothing beats living in a country for a couple of years so that you can immerse yourself into the culture or pick up the local lingo/courtney rhyme like: "I am going apples & pears to get a cup of rosie lee".

But from the perspectives of many, if they do fly long enough, and have made several trips to London they would have enough of those "one free day" to explore something different each time they are there. They may not have sufficient time to make a decent trip to say the Lake district but would have been able to do what they want in London or the neighbouring parts. I believe from reading comments in this forum, that would have met their definition of "seeing the world".

12345
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2007

Postby 12345 » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 2:07 am

Stu wrote:1 2 3 4 5,

I work in the Banking industry. The line of work is not what is important but rather the role. Is it a Local role or is it a Regional/Global. That is what dictates the travel. For example, you can be in Sales, but are you in Local sales or Regional sales? This would apply to all the other functions, be it Risk Management, etc. Is it Local Risk Management or Regional Risk Management. So on and so forth. You are right, consultants travel extensively because the role requires it.

Just think about it. The First/Business class sections in most SQ flights are almost always packed (at least that is the case when I travel - not surprising that SIA is so profitable). Is everybody travelling in that section in the same industry and doing the same line of work? I don't think so. It can be very diverse in nature.

What field/discipline are you currently studying by the way?

I do agree with Missy_a that being a Cabin Crew is a great way to see the world and I too share the same view that being paid to see the world is something fantastic. However there are other options if you fail to meet the airlines stringent selection criteria, or if you feel that being a Cabin Crew is not your cup of tea. But if it is your dream, then go for it!


Thanks stu for the reply. That really gave me additional insights to what's available in the job market that offers an employee a chance to do a fair bit of traveling.

The banking industry also speaks some relation to me as i'm currently doing a business and commerce degree majoring in accounting, n something like a minor in finance (although my uni doenst approve a minor but my electives are mostly all finance papers). N u really widened my horizon because it never struck me in the past that ppl from the banking industry could travel as widely as u do.

Well, i would have to say that being a cabin crew is my dream. Just that i've tried twice, and both times i got stuck at the management round. At least now i'm glad that there are other options available :)

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 1:16 pm

12345 - That would be 10 dollars for the career counselling... :)

12345
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2007

Postby 12345 » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 5:24 pm

Stu wrote:12345 - That would be 10 dollars for the career counselling... :)


Maybe another 50 dollars if u could recommend me to a position in a bank? :lol: But i mean, seriously...in which department are u working in the bank? :)

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 7:29 pm

1 2 3 4 5, once I caught a fish alive

6 7 8 9 10, then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go,

because it bit my finger so.

..................sorry, but I couldn't resist..... :)

*************************************************************

As the Brits would say: "that would be telling....." :)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 7:32 pm

Stu wrote:As the Brits would say: "that would be telling....." :)


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 7:35 pm

Plavt - I knew you would like that one... :D

12345
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2007

Postby 12345 » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 1:21 am

Stu wrote:1 2 3 4 5, once I caught a fish alive

6 7 8 9 10, then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go,

because it bit my finger so.

..................sorry, but I couldn't resist..... :)

*************************************************************

As the Brits would say: "that would be telling....." :)


Oh my gosh...pardon me for my bad english, but that was wayyyy beyond my comprehension. I know there's sarcasm involved...but still at a lost. haha...

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:45 am

12345 - There was no sarcasm there.

You just need to know how the British speak their English (during conversations) which at times can be quite different to how it is taught at school. Unless you have lived in the UK for some time or have quite a few friends from the UK, you will not be able understand their conversation at times even though everybody is still speaking English!

Just for your benefit, in case you didn't know, the first part is just a Children's nursery rhyme (which uses your forum nickname). This has nothing to do with anything that is why I said: "sorry but I couldn't resist......"

The second part means: I am not telling you........

Hope that helps!!!! :D

12345
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2007

Postby 12345 » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 2:37 am

U are SO MEAN!!! :P

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:04 pm

Hahaha.....sorry. Never intended it to be. :)

- Elektra -
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 07 Oct 2007

Postby - Elektra - » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 4:01 am

- Deleted -
Last edited by - Elektra - on Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jencrs
Regular
Regular
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon, 27 Feb 2006

Postby jencrs » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 8:18 am

- Elektra - wrote:
vix wrote:aiyo, not tat I want to say, out of ur 20 flight crew, it takes 1 to make u to be so pssed? Com'n, r u here to get attention, change jobs, or what?! most FA cook instant noodles in hotels too ... so did u ask urself if something might also be wrong about u?

SIA Cabin Crew Gal is merely sharing her personal experience as a cabin crew. the same job will be perceived differently with each person. she has been invited to vent her frustrations on this thread and therefore she is doing so. there is really no need to belittle her or make her feel that all her whinings are uncalled for. i dun think she's out to get attention, afterall, what she's sharing has been very useful info to those who think the life of an FA is so easy and bimbotic.

it's nice of you to encourage any cabin crew to be strong and not let one person or a small matter piss them off. but perhaps you could suggest solutions or share your experience so it'll be easier for anyone to heed your advice. we're all here to learn and contribute, ya?
You DO realise that you're refering to a post made over 4 months ago?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest