Singapore Expats

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
SIA Cabin Crew Gal

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 1:56 am

We have to put up With alot of SHIT!

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

hmmm

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 2:07 am

i really wanted this so bad at one point of time...
seriously, After each round i'd be so so so happy and just before
the next selection round i'd be just so nervous and asking questions to so many on this forum to prepare myself...

At the end of the day. the life of a flight attendant is not so great after all... Its scary bcoz i just joined... You get 'zapped' (term for seniors bullying the juniors) , the passengers are extremely demanding and annoying....managing the crew is more difficult than dealing w the passengers.... the pay is the only motivation.

On my last flight, a poor junior got wriiten in by the chief for having light make-up and messy hair. Wat i dont understand is that all the other seniors had lighter makeup! According to the grooming guide, we must be wearing either cool or warm, whiecher was assigned to u during training days. However, you'll realise tht most of the stewardesses are using pink/purple/gold... and so many other pastel lip colours... Being junior means ur scrutinised top to toe. you have a 'P' next to ur name during the 1st 6months of flying and you'll be on the bottom of the crew name list if you're most junior. (Most junior means uve to cal up everyone to org lunch / dinner meetings....collect tips fr everyone to give the bus driver etc)

Have to also add tht there r crew who r damn nice too....

For me...i just cant wait for my probation to end....and my bond too.
Its just ironic thinking that THIS is wat i wanted so much last time...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 16 May 2007 2:19 am

SIA Cabin Crew Gal,
Sounds to me like you have been rather unlucky as I have been led to believe my members of this forum that the days of 'zapping' are over. Would you care to explain in what way the seniors bully the juniors and how the passengers are annoying and demanding (not doubting that they can be)?

I realize there may be some favouritism but there may be some stress on more experienced crew having to train newbies and although I don't know they may not get any more money for doing so?

Good you have found some nice people as you would but try not to let things wear you down, what you have said only underlines what I have tried to point out here more than once; not an easy job despite what the public may think.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 30 Sep 2008 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

DinG DonG BeLL
Chatter
Chatter

Re: hmmm

Post by DinG DonG BeLL » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:18 am

gs luck gal... i think everywhere u work oso will happen e same tht. juz pray time flies. :P

tk care & ENDURE~ :wink:
Can i fly higher than a bird?

mayfair

Post by mayfair » Wed, 16 May 2007 11:55 am

Yes finally some reality check... really appreciate that.
thank you so much for sharing your experience... though it may sound discouraging and alittle anti climax for some.... at least we know its not a bed of roses...
if you dont mind please share some more and perhaps use this as an outlet to vent your frustrations.... there are people who think the world of this profession.
wonder whats up with these zapping people??? its extremely unprofessional and distasteful.

Missy_Dulcie

Post by Missy_Dulcie » Wed, 16 May 2007 3:20 pm

This is the culture and can't be helped.. all or rather most junior have to go through this so call shit. Like collecting tips, calll seniors for makan, offer them drinks before u grab 1... check the toilets more than anyone else, call light, bla bla bla... If you think it possitively, take it as training yourself to be a stronger person, someone who will not defeat so easily. End of the day, your seniors also when through exactly what you are going through now, eventually you will be the senior and enjoy your previledge as 1...Love to fly? love the uniform? love the attention? Then take the CHALLENGE...

bellez

Post by bellez » Wed, 16 May 2007 3:31 pm

Missy_Duckie, i like the way you think. Take up the challenge :D

for me, i will tell myself to stay positive & be strong. :)

By the way, thanks SIA Cabin Crew Gal for sharing. You might wanna use this forum as a way of lettin out your frustrations ^_^ People here will thank you for sharing and also help you in sum ways or others . hehe

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Wed, 16 May 2007 3:57 pm

I have quite a few friends who are with SQ. They endured and prevailed. Although they have not shared the intricate details for the fear of being embarrased (I never got that part). I do realize its not an easy task. Hey 12-13 years ago, I got into serious trouble authorities for nutting a drunken smelly skunk on the plane for using filthy abusive language to a stewardess who stopped serving alcohol as the flight was landing. I was young, hot headed and stupid.

No regrets! Ever since I am a model passenger. I dont drink, I sleep a lot and I keep my own water bottle topped up with my water needs. :-) And since I do have friends I imagine how they would feel if I throw a needless fit. :-)

DinG DonG BeLL
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DinG DonG BeLL » Wed, 16 May 2007 3:58 pm

went airport few hrs ago to send my fren off. hmm~ saw few SQ gals. they gave mi a look as if they r e biggest. :? they use their nose to see ppl & not their eyes. cant they juz gif a frenly smile even they r not on board..?
Silkair gals r more frenly. :)
Can i fly higher than a bird?

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

hi guys

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:19 pm

thks for the encouraging werds...

This is the experience of my WORST Flight!

on my long flight! i had the honor of flying with this LSS A. During the layover we hung out in the crew room n she was rather nice and all.
Its was on the sector back into sin tht i werked with her.

OMG! tht was during my first few solos. during takeoff (strapped to seat)She asked me if i had checked the plastic cups ... My mistake i didnt. It was the 777-300ER aircraft which means economy class is down by one crew n we have to do both crew duties. Its not an excuse i noe...

But then i recovered the situation by getting fr fwd. (Thk god they cld spare)

A kept on being NASTY and making rude comments n glaring at me throughout the flight. Treating me like i was in primary school! when i collected the Child meals order... she scolded me for not taking their drink order!

Things were really torturous. i cried in the toilet. It didnt help that the senior GS was also zapping me. He was also being zapped by A. so he had to take it out on me. Whenever A was out he'd be spouting vulgarites/ profanites abt her... i just felt like jumping out of the plane!

Luckily he went to rest with her. Then i had 3 hrs to calm down n have a breather. Otherwise...

During the lull period the LS who i werked with on the way up actually came down n asked me how am i... he lent me a listening ear n even reassured me tht my werk is ok for a 5th solo... And to my surprise he said A has a reputation for zapping jrs!

Hmph....

:(

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

guruvishwanath

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:21 pm

Haha...

yes on my auzzie flight aso we were instructed not to give out any alcoholic drinks to this particular pax...

n he becane more unruly !

It was dramatic man!!

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

annoying pax

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:25 pm

indian sectors / chinese sectors are the worst!

k....
On one flight..it wasnt a chinese flight but there was a grp of mainland Chinese tourists....

During boarding they kept standing in the aisle and took severall pic of the crew.. causing a major bottleneck and just shouted so much like as tho they have just reunited after a decade!

They kept filming me throughout the meal svc...
And aking photos as tho im a celeb....

The rest of the ang moh pax simply looked at me sympathetically...

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

Bitchy mentor

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:32 pm

Once this mentor, X, i werked with was so damn unfriendly and she was reluctant to guide me at all. When the chief came down to check on me he asked if i had done the uplifts anot... i said, 'not yet' and he asked her how come she hasn't taught me . and she humiliated me by spelling out each n every word as tho i cant write....

I mean even the rest who were in he galley made remarks like ,'relax lar sista' to her. How was i to react. just hold back my feelings n endure the shit.

WTF!

hate her

Oh yah...some pax will also ask u for so many amenities. eg this little indian girl kept asking me for childrens amenties even tho she's not from my zone. Apparently she asked each and every single crew for toys... untill everything was wiped out!

so damn kanchong? and kiasu fer wat!

SIA Cabin Crew Gal

hi guru

Post by SIA Cabin Crew Gal » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:40 pm

you're so right... i graduated w hons and here's my BIG TIME

Reality CHECK...

1. I took out the blue trash bag and went out to clear the cabin... a female pax asked me very condescendingly, 'r u collecting rubbish?' It just stunned me for a moment. This is my 2 nd job. i was previously a graphics designer... and i just felt so warped.... some pax r jus out to belittle u...if it was a benign qtn i dont even care less. Her tome of voice... expression etc was jus sickening.

2. I was waiting outside the toiltets to do toilet check. As i asked this ang moh lady if i can go in b4 her to check the toilets she retorted, 'Lucky you...'

hmmm...food 4 thought.

mayfair

Post by mayfair » Wed, 16 May 2007 5:41 pm

omg all that sounds terrible and very real.
Do you work with the same seniors/mentors all the time? If no, how likely will you all meet again?
Is it common to not pass the probation?