Singapore Expats

The reality of being an SQ GAL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 7:35 pm

Abercrombie wrote:Well this is the Singapore culture, local company generally don't treat their employees well :tongue: All they are thinking is PROFIT and CUT COST so that they can pocket more $$$$ :x
Do you think it is different anywhere else!? :o

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:24 am

Sad to sad local chinese company are out to squeeze their workers Jinger Bells :shock:

nana07
Regular
Regular

Post by nana07 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:38 am

Abercrombie wrote:Sad to sad local chinese company are out to squeeze their workers Jinger Bells :shock:
that is so true. :P

Kayleeee

Post by Kayleeee » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 1:07 pm

shenoes wrote:'Need to remember that people who can do acting well, to answer interview questions are not a problem for them at all.'
And those SIA ccs who had successfully pass through hell of rubbish, their mentality would of cos be ' eh, I'm wif SIA ley, prestigeous airline k? u know how hard to pass the stages or nt? I pass them liao ok? i am smart and I am the one they are looking for.' kua kua kua..
:P
Shenoes is not sterotyping la... I am sure there are some out of the hundreds of crew who behave like that.. But then again, in any/every organisation, got good people also got bad people...

I remembered during my interview few years back, there was this few particular girls I met in the ladies whom I smiled to and said hello. Did it out of politeness as I knew they were there at the STC for the interview too..

But they gave me a blardy stuck up face and this glimpse that seemed to be telling me, " wha lau ey, you this kind of pattern also dare to try..bey pai say..", as if they are very pretty like that.. haven got the job so arrogant leow..
(I must admit I didnt dress to impress on that day)

Turned out I was in the same group with those hao lian idiots, and I ended up chatting with this very very sweet girl with minimal make up and simple shirt and pants, instead of the fancy sexy dresses and the 4 inch foundation like those stuck up bi*ches.

She has one of the nicest smile I had seen and she was very humble. Most importantly she didnt sound like she's faking the conversation..Although we only spoke for like 20 minutes I liked her already.

That girl was the only girl in our group that made through round one. Good for her! Those hao lian ones got booted out and ended up crying.. Orr bee good.. But then again, How many interviewers can tell from 3 minutes who are the genuinely warm ones and who are the actresses? I am sure there are many girls who are like that too and those who got the job confirm will be even more "hao lian like what shenoes mentioned.

These are the "bad eggs" that damage the reputation of our airlines. Maybe the co. should sent some "spies" to monitor the behavior of the girls prior the interview...
Believe in the strength of universe, for the law of attraction is the greatest power ever exist.

shenoes
Regular
Regular

Post by shenoes » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 4:13 pm

hmm..the sentence 'Need to remember that people who can do acting well, to answer interview questions are not a problem for them at all.' is actuali quoted from Tres Bien Merci. it's just that maybe i accidently deleted those quote thingies :oops:

see page 9, 2 post on top of mine :D
-shenoes-

Teufel

Post by Teufel » Sun, 28 Dec 2008 2:42 pm

emmy_g wrote:In my opinion, the 'Crew Culture' hardly exists these days amongst the newer crew. Generally, I find tht the newbies are less humble (prob cos they're higher educated - I'm serious! I've had personal experiences of newbies telling me tht they did not study so hard for a degree just to come onboard to clean toilets/clear rubbish/help a passenger who vomited on herself), less respectful/fearful of hierachy and more aggressive in pushing their point across.

*snip.. snip..*

They dun receive feedback/criticism too well either.

Well, I've stuck thru my bond, finished my first contract AND am almost 2 yrs into my second.

You dun hear ME complaining. :)
I have to agree with this one.. I had read through some postings by the new crew here who had been graciously talking abt the seniors and the passengers, grumbling that she had to eat her humble pie after graduating with honours and working professionally as a designer, and yet silly enough to post her roster out in public and therefore made it easy for anyone to trace her staff number.

Do not bite the hands that feed u. If u think u are too good for the job, then feel free to quit.

So what if the passengers are demanding? They PAID for it.

11 years of flying, and I yet have to grumble.

We all go through ups and downs. If ur previous job as a designer was so much better, why quit and join the airlines?

Bearie

Post by Bearie » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 1:41 am

Plavt wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:Well this is the Singapore culture, local company generally don't treat their employees well :tongue: All they are thinking is PROFIT and CUT COST so that they can pocket more $$$$ :x
Do you think it is different anywhere else!? :o
Hi,happened to see this post while looking through this forum..I realised that not only local company don't treat their staffs well,there are also other foreign company who is the same & all they can say is"Due to recession this year so we have to cut down on unnecessary cost" so end up they will cut pay & commision as well. :cry:

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 4:41 pm

Its ok to cut pay during bad times, this is understandable but must increase back when the tide is over. Worst is even during good times they will still try to squeeze you, still trying to say that the profit is less compared to last year etc...so continue the cost cutting and forget about the restoring of pay cut....CPF also maintain at 16% even they made so much profit :x Full of Sh1t !!!

eikonal

Post by eikonal » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 4:41 pm

I have only read the first page of the post so forgive me if this is off topic. I have flown on several airlines around the world and I have to say that SQ has the most friendly, approachable, and beautiful women of any airline. If I have a choice I will always fly SQ.

Thank-you for an awsome experience and fantastic service. I have told a flight attendant friend of mine that every FA needs to fly on SQ once to see how the job is done right. She told me that her job is to get me from A to B. I told her "that's the pilots job, not yours."

Thanks again

mayoliss

Post by mayoliss » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 9:44 am

why is my post reply deleted? :?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 3:39 pm

mayoliss wrote:why is my post reply deleted? :?

You made the same post in two different threads - that is regarded as spam. Please use different posts in different threads, thank you.

Moderator.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 4:41 pm

Sorry friends have been a little busy hence I haven't been active here...I have just re-reviewed this thread.

As usual, Plavt is 100% correct.

To the poster who talked about cost cutting/pay decreases for a short period of time. That's in your contract I believe (please correct me as I haven't seen the latest CC contracts).

Spare a thought for your tech crew friends that work Cargo. They are basically going on extended furlough, for up to 30 MONTHS!

QF, CQ, and most major's in the region are cutting back. Be thankful you still get a slot.

Just my 10c worth...always look at those who have done more training and don't have the choice to do anything. If it's happening to tech, it's happening to CC as well (not to mention ENG etc.).

Stay well, fly safe, Mr. P

Vortex

Post by Vortex » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 2:24 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:Sorry friends have been a little busy hence I haven't been active here...I have just re-reviewed this thread.

As usual, Plavt is 100% correct.

To the poster who talked about cost cutting/pay decreases for a short period of time. That's in your contract I believe (please correct me as I haven't seen the latest CC contracts).

Spare a thought for your tech crew friends that work Cargo. They are basically going on extended furlough, for up to 30 MONTHS!

QF, CQ, and most major's in the region are cutting back. Be thankful you still get a slot.

Just my 10c worth...always look at those who have done more training and don't have the choice to do anything. If it's happening to tech, it's happening to CC as well (not to mention ENG etc.).

Stay well, fly safe, Mr. P
Agreed...I think cost cutting is inevitable, esp during an economic slump...good thing that some of us are still holding on to our jobs...just have to sit tight and ride this one out...and hope that things will pick up again :)
Don't just dream,... Live it!!!! It's only 36 000 ft....

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Sun, 03 May 2009 11:45 pm

You should work for Cathay. It's a career as opose to contract to contract work. Strong Union,Good pay,grauity.retirement pay-out.Also not many Singaporeans!

kelsen83

Post by kelsen83 » Thu, 07 May 2009 8:14 am

Blade wrote:You should work for Cathay. It's a career as opose to contract to contract work. Strong Union,Good pay,grauity.retirement pay-out.Also not many Singaporeans!
Yea, that's what i heard too.. But hey, i'm still happy. Hate the company, but love the job- pax and crew too!! :D