Singapore Expats Forum

Some of my colleagues r Caucasians and they r pretty humble.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lotus sutra

Some of my colleagues r Caucasians and they r pretty humble.

Postby lotus sutra » Tue, 15 May 2007 9:26 pm

Some of my colleagues are Caucasians and they are pretty humble; not stuck up.... They are really the salt of the earth doing blue collar engineering jobs.

They have changed a lot since colonial days about a century ago.

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby muratkorman » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:23 am

What is exactly your point with this post? Are you trying to generalise expats and put them into some categories? Believe me you can find every type of expats (talking about caucasians like me). Certainly, the most appreciated are the humble guys trying to do their job and mix with the locals, but there is also this group which believe that they have created this world. Some of them even ignore people from their own country. Why should they waste their time with those low-level people anyway?

I wish the ratio of humble caucasians increase in time as the other part is just creating anger and frustration amongst locals because of their attitudes.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 16 May 2007 2:48 pm

Lotus sutra,

You speak of the ethnic group with such an air of familiarity from a century ago. How old are you? ;)

Besides, what is humility to you?

I know several "blue-collared" individuals proud of what they do. Engineers, as you state or otherwise.
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

lotus sutra

Postby lotus sutra » Wed, 16 May 2007 9:18 pm

Kats_ wrote:Lotus sutra,

You speak of the ethnic group with such an air of familiarity from a century ago. How old are you? ;)
..........................................................................................

I am SMS junior by 7 yrs. I was a boy when the Vietnam war was raging, and the Watergate was erupting.
..................................................................................
Besides, what is humility to you?

I know several "blue-collared" individuals proud of what they do. Engineers, as you state or otherwise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Humility means among other things...unpretentious, not pompous, comceited or self righteous....down to earth...et al..

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 16 May 2007 10:15 pm

Some caucasians still have the colonial attitude that they know best and their way is better, and I think they tend to be unhappy and frustrated here when we refuse to change our society to fit their preferences. They probably won't last long here. But I think the "arrogant angmoh" is a dying breed. By and large most I've met are quite okay and some have said they are in Asia for good and won't return home.

By the way, there are many stuck-up Singaporeans too who look down on their own kind as well as foreigners, including caucasians.

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Winxkid » Thu, 17 May 2007 5:49 am

Its rounded up all in your mindset & not the color

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 17 May 2007 9:22 am

Winxkid wrote:Its rounded up all in your mindset & not the color

I agree.

WIMH, I understand what you mean but I like you yourself said there are snobs in every culture.

My friend's dad is well over 70 and it is embarrassing to dine with him especially when we are at an Indian restaurant. He claps his hands at the waiters to grab their attention and says "jaldi, jaldi" (means - quick, hurry up, come here). I would think the habit's from the "Raj" days. IMHO, this is pardonable - hard to change their mentality.

At the same time the neo-Raj attitude that you are talking about is just plain silly.

One is treated the way one wants to be.
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Arizona

Postby Arizona » Thu, 17 May 2007 11:22 am

Lotus Sutra, are you doing a Bart Simpson?

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 1:11 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Some caucasians still have the colonial attitude that they know best and their way is better.

Well,

most of the time it is actually, you disagree? :twisted:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 1:23 pm

Ah, Superglide. Still playing with fire, I see.

Unfortunately for you, in the last few months I've achieved nirvana (well, closer anyway :D ) and now have more important things to ponder, like how to get rid of the pimples on my left cheek. :-k

ps: You must be pretty bored to resurrect a thread from May.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 2:01 pm

Playing with Fire? :o

About being bored, that was not the reason I digged up this one. I stumbled across, when checking something here.

Your cheek should be fine again soon, no worries!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 2:15 pm

Superglide wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:Some caucasians still have the colonial attitude that they know best and their way is better.

Well,

most of the time it is actually, you disagree? :twisted:

Maybe you should re-phrase that to most of the time and most of them considering the attitude of a number of my own I have noticed when travelling in Asia (certain areas at least). :oops!:

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 8:04 am

Kats_ wrote:
Winxkid wrote:Its rounded up all in your mindset & not the color
My friend's dad is well over 70 and it is embarrassing to dine with him especially when we are at an Indian restaurant. He claps his hands at the waiters to grab their attention and says "jaldi, jaldi" (means - quick, hurry up, come here). I would think the habit's from the "Raj" days. IMHO, this is pardonable - hard to change their mentality.

At the same time the neo-Raj attitude that you are talking about is just plain silly.

One is treated the way one wants to be.

Indians do that to one another. It's because of the "class based" system. The wait staff (and your maid, cook etc) were all of a class beneath you ... and you treated them in that respect. Just look at how some Asians treat their maids. Maybe the concept of equality is a western evolution...cause even in Japan etc you tend to have a class based society. Tho now a days in the US your "class" is determined by where you live and what car you drive and less so what family you were born into.