Singapore Expats Forum

singapore lifestyle magazine & AI members

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Pringles with Dip

singapore lifestyle magazine & AI members

Postby Pringles with Dip » Sun, 13 May 2007 12:52 am

hello to all!

will be landing in singapore early june and looking forward in joining you guys on your night-outs...especially sportive events...

tiny question...is there a free lifestyle magazine circulated around or available in the city?..coz here in tokyo we have one that covers weekly events from arts exhibitions - themed singles party....makes organizing my weekend activities very easy that's why.

orrr a one-stop events website???...and! and! and! recommendations for a hearty comedy bar?!!! thank youuuuu.... :lol:

p.s. any Amnesty International presence in Sing?

jim_stark

Street Mag

Postby jim_stark » Sun, 13 May 2007 12:14 pm

There's a mag called Juice that's good for club events and another one whose name escapes me at the moment but most places generally stock both.

Websites - check out

http://www.mumtazz.com/singapore/

So far i haven't really found anything with art exhibitions, the art scene here is very different from say, Tokyo, London or Sydney. Not to say its not getting better but its probably where Sydney was 10 years ago. THat being said i've only been here a short time so I could just be going to the wrong places.

Haven't found any AI members - let me know if you find them around.

Pringles with Dip

Re: Street Mag

Postby Pringles with Dip » Sun, 13 May 2007 4:52 pm

jim_stark wrote:There's a mag called Juice that's good for club events and another one whose name escapes me at the moment but most places generally stock both.

Websites - check out

http://www.mumtazz.com/singapore/

So far i haven't really found anything with art exhibitions, the art scene here is very different from say, Tokyo, London or Sydney. Not to say its not getting better but its probably where Sydney was 10 years ago. THat being said i've only been here a short time so I could just be going to the wrong places.

Haven't found any AI members - let me know if you find them around.

Thanks jim_S!

guess will start with embassy exhibits for the time being....italian cultural institute seems to run like the one here though..yeba!

will hunt those AI pips too...were u a member before?

jim_stark

Re:AI

Postby jim_stark » Sun, 13 May 2007 5:42 pm

I was an active member back in Sydney during uni and then just became a donating member when i started working.

I haven't actually looked since arriving in here, i was surpirsed not to see more social justice networks here given asia is a continent where 62% of population live below the poverty line.

may i ask why you are moving to sing? tokyo or manila is much more fun places to be. not saying sing is bad...

Pringles with Dip

AI & singapore move

Postby Pringles with Dip » Sun, 13 May 2007 6:04 pm

cheerio! jim_S!

you dropped 62% as pips below the poverty line...people are more busy trying to make a living...it hits them only when they become victimized of injustices....sad. hope people in the know and with honest intentions would campaign for more awareness....will definitely miss AI activities...helluva loved those documentaries we review here.

for my move..mmm..trying to build a more solid track record.
plus the industry i am in is very much in demand in Singapore (shipping).

let me know of very happening gigs/sporting events when i get there! toodles...

jim_stark

AI and Street Majs

Postby jim_stark » Sun, 13 May 2007 8:33 pm

No worries, drop me a line when you are in town. My email is francis.ocampo@gmail.com