Singapore Expats Forum

Hello from Amy

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
amytylor

Hello from Amy

Postby amytylor » Tue, 08 May 2007 3:48 pm

Hello,

I am planning to visit singapore at the end of this month to
participate in World Internet Business Summit at Singapore Expo
http://tinyurl.com/ytmayt.

Could you please suggest a cheap hotel near Singapore Expo hall.
(Geylang area)

I am planning to setup a business in Singapore. Please suggest
a website with valuable information for beginners.
BTW; I am from Eastern Europe.

Best Regards,
Amy.

SingaporeOrBust

Postby SingaporeOrBust » Tue, 08 May 2007 3:54 pm

doubt there will be any cheap places to stay near the center at that time. Then again not sure how you define cheap.

amytylor

Postby amytylor » Tue, 08 May 2007 4:08 pm

I found a report saying rooms are available in 3 star hotels for 30 to 50 Singapore dollars per night. Is that true ?

Amy.

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hei guess what » Tue, 08 May 2007 4:51 pm

There is a list in a previous thread
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic29235

The more popular ones seem to be

Sleepy Sams
www.sleepysams.com

Prince of Wales
www.pow.com.sg
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/s ... Wales.html

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Postby sharkie8480 » Tue, 08 May 2007 5:01 pm

www.hotel81.com.sg

Budget hotels

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hotels

Postby joop » Tue, 08 May 2007 5:15 pm

May not be pleasant for a lady to stay alone in Geylang, you can check out Malacca Hotel (East Coast) It's also near eateries and public transportation.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

AdiCtion
Regular
Regular

Hotels around Little India..

Postby AdiCtion » Tue, 08 May 2007 8:09 pm

Well you can try Broadway hotel in Serangoon road...they charge about SGD60 & the rooms are spacious (but old).

For biz setup you try the goverment websites like iesingapore.gov.sg or singapore business federation...etc.

Cheers!!!
Adi

Shankar
Regular
Regular

Hi amy

Postby Shankar » Tue, 08 May 2007 9:22 pm

Hi amy

please be informed that Geylang is the Red Light District of Singapore and a 24 X 7 industry. You can find cheaper accomodations from S$40-70 around Serangoon road and lotsa backpackers lodge too around the area.

feel free to PM me in case you need to know anything about doing business in Singapore.

Cheers!!!
Shan
recently attained my Nirvaana and became a Budha.

masauds
Chatter
Chatter

hi

Postby masauds » Thu, 10 May 2007 10:11 am

go to hotel 81 china town

its dam cheap

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Re: hi

Postby vjsimon » Sat, 12 May 2007 6:26 pm

masauds wrote:go to hotel 81 china town

its dam cheap

I agree... Most probably the cheapest budget hotel around in this tiny island... :)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sun, 13 May 2007 5:30 pm

Hi Amy, Expo is nowhere near Geylang. Well they're both on the same side of the island and on the same MRT (train) line but that's about as close and convenient as it gets.

The nearest hotel would, I think, be the Changi Village but it's probably not in your budget and also not on the MRT line.

The others are right - Geylang is not a good place for a lone woman to stay, if she doesn't know her way around. You'll attract a lot of attention!

There are some good ideas on the link hei guess wat posted. The Betel Box is in a convenient location for getting to Expo if you can get to the east-west MRT line. Singapore is not a big place and public transport is very efficient, so the more central ones would also suit.

Alexander

Answers

Postby Alexander » Tue, 15 May 2007 5:41 pm

Hi Amy,

To answer your question you can find rooms for the $45 or so you said. I stayed in one place Hotel 81 in geylang when I first got here ...right in the heart of the red light district...i'm a dude (guy/male)..and even I felt uncomfotable, no window either ! In saying that, I moved to another Hotel 81 branch for the same price and it was ok. As long as you are close to an MRT station (you can never be THAT far away from one :)) You are doing ok.

My advice would be stay anywhere resonably central in singapore. The MRT here is like $2 to anywhere in the entire country, its quick, safe easy to get around anywhere. Avoid geylang..its so grotty! I wouldn't advise my sister stay there..my grandma, or you!

Don't suppose you are from czech republic or slovakia russia??

Enjoy your Expo Amy!!,
Alexander

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Winxkid » Tue, 15 May 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Amy,
For more details about hotel rates & booking, You might want to book online or via phone. But I believe @ this period of the year You would propably get the room anytime U want. In geylang there's alot of budget hotels which might not be registered online. U can try out your luck when You reach here.
http://hotels.online.com.sg/hotels-50andbelow.asp

Geylang is a fine area & a gourmet heaven, example like bee-horfun, spicy frog porridge blar blar blar. Don't have to worry about your stay in geylang as its still relatively safe (increased police presence there) with survellience cameras in a number of locations. But for precaution, just try not to go out late in the night.

4 bucks will get you a decent meal @ any foodcourts or hawker centre.

For business setup You can actually go to www.business.gov.sg , its a A-Z guide for business setup in Singapore. For now, I believe You should read up more on entrepass & taxes. If You have any doubt about immigration, You can check out www.ica.gov.sg .

If You decide to stay in one of e hotel in geylang, You can go get to aljunied or kallang mrt in a 10mins walk. From there, You are only a few stations away from Singapore expo's station. Its less than 4bucks to & fro. http://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eg ... ys_map.htm

If you need other information, just let Us know & I believe the folks here would be glad to impart their knowledge :D or you might want to visit this website for information about Singapore. www.visitsingapore.com

adios

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Winxkid » Tue, 15 May 2007 8:13 pm

World Internet Business Summit at Singapore Expo
http://tinyurl.com/ytmayt.

i wonder how many person out of 1,000 actually make it... hmm

javer
Chatter
Chatter

Postby javer » Fri, 18 May 2007 5:10 pm

try booking Le Meridien in changi.

not very bear but at least not as far as any other hotels..
nice place to stay in too...
Belial - Personification of Evil; Synonym for Satan; Angel of Lawlessness;