Singapore Expats

Horrible experience in Sim Lim Square

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
taikoo

Horrible experience in Sim Lim Square

Post by taikoo » Thu, 03 May 2007 11:58 am

On 29th April I underwent a horrible experience at Royal Plus Pacific Pte Ltd shop on the groung level in Sim Lim Square.

I went to buy a Nintendo Wii. The sales person in Royal Plus Pacific Pte Ltd. was not explaining the features but was only answering my basic questions. When I pointed out that as a sales person shouldn't he be the one who explains what are the features, he immediately got angry and told me that I am talking too much. I told him I am only pointing out to him that he should explain instead of make me ask questions. At this point in time he further became angry and shouted 'get out'. I was shocked at this. As I was with my family, I didn't want to get further insults hence asked him to keep quiet and was leaving the shop, for which he once again got further angry and banged on the glass top and shouted 'Get out'.

While walking out of the shop I pointed out to other sales guy about this guy's behaviour, but with no joy, as the others too were too rude and showed their hands in such a way to ask me to leave.

I know customer service in Singapore is not the best. But what I went through perhaps may be the worst.

I wrote a feedback report to SimLimSquare with all the above details and gave it to the security and obtained a copy. So far I haven't heard on any action taken against the sales guy or the shop.

I seek guidance from the members here on the options available for me to escalate this experience. In addition to get the culprit sales guy get his lesson on being dis-corteous, my intention is that no other shopper undergoes this traumatic experience.

Thanks and best regards.

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Post by brifusg » Thu, 03 May 2007 12:30 pm

That does not surprise me much. Thanks for your feedback to Sim Lim Square and perhaps they could come up with some actions to improve the SLS's image which is so bad for years.

I have not bought any valuable goods from SLS for more than 4 years. Courts / Best / Funan / Carrefour are the places I buy those things.

Cubby

Post by Cubby » Thu, 03 May 2007 4:32 pm

Oh dear not pleasant huh?...Not only in singapore thou, I have witnessed another such incident in a shop in San Fran too! Although here You can always report your incident to 'case' (search 'case singapore' on the web) they handle all sorts of complaints and I think have a black list of shops to avoid with continuous complaints about bad service. I think the trouble with SLS is they expect you to already know what you want and how much you are prepared to pay, time is money, dont waste theirs asking questions they probably dont know the answer to anyway!! :?

GKalra
Regular
Regular

Post by GKalra » Fri, 04 May 2007 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience. You have done your bit by filing a complaint, hope something happens about it.

I saw a programme about SMSqaure on TV a couple of days ago. it highlighted the lack of professionalism in their sales staff. Another thing that was very interesting was that the sales people quote different prices to customers based on their nationality and accents. The difference is sometimes more than $100-150.
They have got a lot of negative publicity in the past years but business there is still thriving thanks to the tourists.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 May 2007 2:31 pm

GKalra wrote:Another thing that was very interesting was that the sales people quote different prices to customers based on their nationality and accents. The difference is sometimes more than $100-150.
This is nothing new or unusual here in Singapore. It happens in every store where there is no fixed pricing visible. Walk into a Wet Market as see what happens if you happen to be a caucasian. I used to get my wife to go get a quote on live crabs at Tekka while I waited outside or behind another aisle. Once she had a firm quote she would call out to me so I could pick the crabs (I been crabbing since I was a kid so it's easy for me to deplete their whole lots of good crabs from the empty ones). The quotes I would get would be some three times higher or more. This is commonly known as "fleece the unsuspecting" or just "how bad do you want it!" It's best to do some homework before going into those kinds of places.

Sim Lim Square is bad but is tolerable. The worst offender is Sim Lim Towers. Even the locals get ripped there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taikoo

Post by taikoo » Fri, 04 May 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks, GKalra, Cubby, brifusg for your feedback and sympathies.

The whole day last Sunday I felt miserable as no where in my four decades plus life have I had such a bad experience. All the more shocking that it happened in Singapore (supposed to be a first wold in the third world countries!!!).

So far I haven't heard from the SLS management on the action taken against the sales guy.

I saw the CASE website, it looks to me they are more into arbitration when goods are purchased. In my case it is more a customer service issue.

Is there any other forum (except writing a letter directly to PM Lee) where I can escalare and seek redressal?

Cubby

Post by Cubby » Fri, 04 May 2007 6:29 pm

I think you could be right?!, there is also a list on the singapore tourism site( visitsingapore.com) uniquely singapore, about errant retailers, they have a hotline to deal with complaints, but looks like they may also only be interrested if you bought something and got ripped off, not insulted by bad service, you never know thou it could be worth a try!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 May 2007 9:07 pm

I am afraid that the Singapore Government would need another portfolio and AT LEAST one and possibly two MP to run it. They have been "asking" for better service for years but like job discrimination, they are afraid to give it any teeth.

Oh, for all the others who will inadvertently jump to Singapore's defense here, don't bother. Not all Singaporeans are rude and give bad service (My wife for instance, has dozens of letters praising her for her courtesy and helpfulness over the years). This is the same in all countries (bad service that is). The reason Singaporeans have earned that moniker around the world is like the proverbial bad apple in the barrel (one doesn't spoil the barrel) but let there be two or three or more and see what happens. That's how reputations are acquired. Not the actual count but the percentage of per capita displaying such traits. That and the visibility of the bad apples! Sure don't need them in the tourist belt do we.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Sat, 05 May 2007 12:54 pm

taikoo wrote:Thanks, GKalra, Cubby, brifusg for your feedback and sympathies.

The whole day last Sunday I felt miserable as no where in my four decades plus life have I had such a bad experience. All the more shocking that it happened in Singapore (supposed to be a first wold in the third world countries!!!).

So far I haven't heard from the SLS management on the action taken against the sales guy.

I saw the CASE website, it looks to me they are more into arbitration when goods are purchased. In my case it is more a customer service issue.

Is there any other forum (except writing a letter directly to PM Lee) where I can escalare and seek redressal?
I do sympathise with you there, but to me it is like following:

You have a problem with someone, sort it out with that person. Go back and tell him what you think of his behaviour, right in his face. Preferably when you see there are other potential customers around.
Time will come....

RickBath

Post by RickBath » Sat, 05 May 2007 4:00 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:

You have a problem with someone, sort it out with that person. Go back and tell him what you think of his behaviour, right in his face. Preferably when you see there are other potential customers around.

haha... that is the best... you increase the tone of your voice only when there are potential customers around.. haha

many shops in SLS has got bad reputation...

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 07 May 2007 6:46 am

Write to teh SIngapore Tourism Board - Soemtimes the best strategy is to hit them with a heavy had from a direction they cannot see. I know it sounds like a strange move and you are not a tourist but if you word it in such a way as someone concerned for Singapores image this shop is gonna take a hammering as the Tourist Board has a lot of friends leh.
Be Like Water

taikoo

Post by taikoo » Mon, 07 May 2007 1:38 pm

Bafana,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will update you all soon on the actions taken by me.

Just to update, I haven't received any feedback so far from the SimLimSquare management on my feedback form!

Regards,

German_Expat

SLS and rude sales staff

Post by German_Expat » Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:44 pm

haha... that is the best... you increase the tone of your voice only when there are potential customers around.. haha

many shops in SLS has got bad reputation...
Hahaha.... that way the sound level all over SLS will soon increase a few notches :lol:

But seriously, I have found that most sales staff dont know anything about the product they are selling. Not only Sim Lim Square retailers. However, there are a few excellent shops with very helpful and knowledgeable staff. Thats where I alwasy go directly now. Off course as a tourist you dont have the time to find out but I have been here for two years now and know where to go and where not to and also what to say and what not to say :wink:

This seems to be the pricing structure there: friends and family 1.0; locals 1.5; asian foreigners 1.8; caucasian foreigners 3.6....... I also had my wife go and check prices :wink:

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 12 Jun 2007 7:53 pm

OMG - i was at sim lim square the other day with my 3 year old (don't ask! told him it was an 'adventure' :) anyhow - we were there to get our portable dvd player fixed since every shop i went to on orchard and funan told me to go to sim lim square.

anyhow - the first store i went into the guy basically told me he didn't speak english. fair enough... but the second and third store too? they just sort of waved me away... i was getting really frustrated b/c i couldn't figure out where the repair shop was and these guys wouldn't even look at me. even when i asked about buying one!!

finally found a guy willing to help me (think he felt sorry for me since by this time i had my son in a headlock trying to keep him with me)... and found the repair shop and they were actually super friendly. couldn't fix my machine - but was pleased that they were so nice!

anyhow - had to empathize with you on your post!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 9:23 am

Grim Reaper wrote:

I would not do that If I were you. If you have problems with that guy/sales staff, ask to see his manager or boss and let him know the situation. If his boss or that person you had problems with is the boss of that company, do us a favourite and let us know the name of that store. Alternatively, let CASE know about this.

BOTTOMLINE :- DO NOT CONFRONT THEM. Some of the sales staff are from " troubled" background. You might get into trouble with them, if you know what I mean.