Singapore Expats

Rental Agreement Enforcible?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
djb123

Rental Agreement Enforcible?

Post by djb123 » Wed, 02 May 2007 8:09 pm

Hi, I am wanting to move apartments. I have a 2 year lease with a 1 year diplomatic clause get out. I have been in my current place 18 months. I have just informed the landlord of my intention to leave, and the response from them was that I can only leave for the following reasons...

1. I am being deported.
2. Govt has refused me permission to work.
3. l Am being transferred to another country.
4. Have ceased employment from my current employer.

This is all in my contract.

So what is the store here, I must stay for another 6 months in my current place unless I fufill one of the above? - surely not, I have lived in many countries and have never come across such ridiculous restrictions.

Please tell me this is not legal/enforcable

thanks

D.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 May 2007 11:13 pm

'fraid so. The only way is to pay off the balance of the rent for the 6 months remaining less the security deposit. They've got you by the short & curlys.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NBB2

Post by NBB2 » Thu, 03 May 2007 7:41 am

Or ask your LL if you can find a replacement tenant. Odds are you may even score him a higher rent, so he's bound to go for it.

Good luck.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 03 May 2007 4:19 pm

Check your lease again. There should be a 3 month termination clause alongside the diplomatic clause.

This is also contradictory to the current market trend ( or so the hype tells us) The land lord should be chuffed as the increased rent he could now ask for would compensate for you leaving. The market says he could get 10 to 30 % more now than when you signed. That may not
be there in 6 months from now. !!!!!!

Good luck

IceWharf

Post by IceWharf » Wed, 09 May 2007 10:26 am

...but if the LL can get your 6 months of rent and a new tenant of course he's going to try. Are you talking to the Agent or the LL, from what I have read they could have different goals?

Eaindria Creation

Re: Rental Agreement Enforcible?

Post by Eaindria Creation » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:18 am

djb123 wrote:Hi, I am wanting to move apartments. I have a 2 year lease with a 1 year diplomatic clause get out. I have been in my current place 18 months. I have just informed the landlord of my intention to leave, and the response from them was that I can only leave for the following reasons...

1. I am being deported.
2. Govt has refused me permission to work.
3. l Am being transferred to another country.
4. Have ceased employment from my current employer.

This is all in my contract.

So what is the store here, I must stay for another 6 months in my current place unless I fufill one of the above? - surely not, I have lived in many countries and have never come across such ridiculous restrictions.

Please tell me this is not legal/enforcable

thanks

D.
Hi,

I'm afraid to say that is true. Unless you can pay off the balance 6mth rental, then you can get out of that place.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Rental Agreement Enforcible?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:43 am

Eaindria Creation wrote:
Hi,

I'm afraid to say that is true. Unless you can pay off the balance 6mth rental, then you can get out of that place.
Wow!

Did you bother to read the thread at all? We have already told the OP this.

Or, did you post this seeming redundant message like the other two non-relevant one-liners in the other threads only to advertise your own website?

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ashnd76

Post by ashnd76 » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:35 pm

Generally a contract would be legally enforceable. But in practise, not every aggrieved individual, will have the strengths, financially and mentally to actually pursue the case to the courts of law.

Litigation is a lot of hassle, esp when the amount involved does not justify legal action in the first place.

If you're an expatriate, and intend to leave Singapore, legal jurisdiction issue, among others, might hamper legal proceedings. Assuming they can track you down in the first place.

And even if they commence legal proceedings, you can still opt for alternate dispute resolution e.g mediation etc.