Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore - World's Fastest Walkers?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rhino
Regular
Regular

Singapore - World's Fastest Walkers?

Postby rhino » Wed, 02 May 2007 6:35 pm

What does everyone think of this...? I wonder where these super fast walkers are!! :o Maybe its all because they measured people who were alone?!?

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ ... ng.speeds/

Humour_Me

Postby Humour_Me » Wed, 02 May 2007 9:19 pm

Hahaha...So I heard too - where are these people?! Or have just been so bloody unlucky? My pet peeve is that Singaporeans do not watch where they are going - they expect that the other person look out and are able to read their minds instead. The ones that really get to me are those who stand just at the top of the escalator and block the bloody way while trying to decide which way to go. :x :x (Most) Singaporeans - bloody cows!

Hey, before anyone says anything about local bashing - I AM Singaporean!! :)

fast_dolphin

Postby fast_dolphin » Thu, 03 May 2007 1:13 pm

it's a bunch of crap. singaporeans are bovines and act as such (when it comes to walking at least)

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 03 May 2007 4:08 pm

fast_dolphin wrote:it's a bunch of crap. singaporeans are bovines and act as such (when it comes to walking at least)

i agree. What a load of crap. Singaporeans are some of the slowest moochers around. How many times have you tried to walk the street, mall, shop etc and had to constantly dodge sleepy idiots. And what about the morons who stand in front of escalators and dont get on. or stand still when they get off.
Dont even start me off about all the vain numpty's ( boys and girls) thats slow down when passing large stores to see their reflection in the window.
Jeeeerze...... fast pace my bottom!!!!

Here endeth todays rant

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Thu, 03 May 2007 4:12 pm

they walk fast when someone is offering anything for free.

like...fill out this survey (on walking) and get a free bowl of kway teow.

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby muratkorman » Thu, 03 May 2007 5:32 pm

Extremely funny!!! This shows that we can't trust all scientific experiments as some of them have crap results. We all suffer this slow mood and the experiment says the contrary. They should have done the research in a shopping mall and the results would have changed I guess. I would be happy if they also wrote down which street it was. I want to see if there is such a special street where people move fast in Singapore.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Humour_Me

Postby Humour_Me » Thu, 03 May 2007 11:42 pm

I think the only time they move fast - aside from getting something free out of it - is when they are at Changi Airport or Dhoby Ghaut MRT station - on the travelator. :roll: :D

RimBlock
Regular
Regular

Postby RimBlock » Fri, 04 May 2007 10:18 am

[Disclaimer...... As emotions can sometimes run high here I wish to point out that this post is made as light humour and is not intended to insult or distress anyone....... even if you do wear 6" high heals, have a modile phone stuch to your head and have no ability to make decisions expecially at the top of escelators or just before / after going through the MRT ticket barrier :wink: . Please take it as such :).]

Ahh,

But you have to read the test conditions......

They timed how long it took 35 men and women to walk along a 60-foot (18-meter) stretch of pavement, monitoring only adults who were on their own and ignoring those conducting mobile phone conversations or struggling with shopping bags.

So no one walking whilst talking on mobile phones.............(So it was probably only men timed in Singapore) :wink:

Only adults........ (we know to our western eyes that most Asian people look younger than they are). :???:

60ft stretch of road (obviously with no shops for Singapore to win). :)

They must have been waiting for days to get to time 35 people here meeting those conditions. I wonder how many of them were tourists :twisted: .

Yes everywhere has slow walkers. I have often been frustrated by people in my home city walking very slowly sometimes reading a paper whilst walking in the middle of rush hour. Singapore seems to have the most though that I have yet come across. Whether it is people who have no idea of what is going on around them or are yapping on their mobile phones and / or are tettering along on very high heals so they have to take very small steps to stop from toppling over..... It can be quite enjoyable to watch life float by sometimes but if you are rushing to work it can be quite annoying.

I once was told by my wife (Singaporean) not to walk outside between City Hall MRT and Suntec City which I usually do, but to use the city link mall. When I expressed an enjoyment of walking with the open sky, fresh(ish) air and greenary around I was told that it was boring......... When I asked if she just wanted to walk in the mall because it was air conditioned (it was in the morning and not that hot outside) she said 'Nope I want to look at the shops',
'Err, but they are not open' I replied,
'I know, I just like to window shop when I can.' which obviously means while walking to work because there is so much to do here that she could not possible go shopping when the shops are open :twisted: .

I am enjoying my time in Singapore, the sights are very nice whether it is the beautiful ladies in short skirts or short skirt wearing beautiful ladies of just the ladies who are wearing skirts which are quite short. Oh the architecture, greenary etc is also nice (as long as it is not on the girls wearing the short skirts) :wink: .

Cheers
RB
Last edited by RimBlock on Fri, 04 May 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Fast walkers? I think not

Postby Dolph » Fri, 04 May 2007 12:02 pm

Singaporeans are probably the slowest walkers I have ever encountered. And they will drift in front of you as soon as you try to overtake them in a busy shopping mall. They are also the only people I know on the planet who will actually stand on a walkway :-| But perhaps their speed was measured on the platform just as the doors of the MRT train opens and people are trying to alight... :wink:

lithium

Postby lithium » Sun, 06 May 2007 11:39 pm

this is funny... i was just muttering to myself abt this while walking from millenia walk to city hall mrt. no i hadn't heard abt this survey at the time but it was pretty challenging to time my "runs" to dodge the many slow pokes around... and a lot of them wud somehow just step in front of me as i was about to pass them... i guess they were having a more relaxed weekend than i was... hehe....

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 07 May 2007 12:54 am

Oh come on you lot everybody knows Singaporeans are the fastest thing on earth.............................................................

.......when Macdonalds offers a free Hello Kitty doll with a hamburger. :P :lol: :lol:

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 07 May 2007 6:52 am

They can walk very fast lah - Its the stopping in strange paces and standing without a care that bothers me leh.
Be Like Water

Yoda

Re: Singapore - World's Fastest Walkers?

Postby Yoda » Tue, 08 May 2007 5:03 pm

Biggest farce I have ever read since I live here in SING ... amazing...

Now too bad (as commented) that we dont know how this was measure.. Locals on the way to the SALES store or locals running to a FREE MAGGY MEE - store? hahaha.... or maybe they had just measured tourists and the experts thought these are real locals .. haha :o :o

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 09 May 2007 11:44 am

I'm just sitting here thinking to replace the word "Singapore" with "Hong Kong" and exactly the same is true.

I spend quite a time there now after living there 8-yrs intially so it's funny for me to read this and see how everybody thinks Singaporeans are somehow different.

I've had to physically push people out of the way at the top of an escalator in HK because they couldn't decide left or right and i was coming right up their @rse. I didn't shout at them, just a quick shove then a glare..... that did the trick.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 09 May 2007 4:47 pm

I think it just shows that they are excited about getting to where they want to get to.
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?