New American Expat coming in - advice on locations

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
xernstx
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue, 01 May 2007 8:14 am

New American Expat coming in - advice on locations

Post by xernstx » Tue, 01 May 2007 8:25 am

I'm moving to Singapore in November for work - will have a budget between 3000-5000 SGD (depending on final housing allowance).

Looking for a 2-bedroom apartment/condo with nice amenities - just my girlfriend and I.

I have a friend who lived here for about a year, and he recommended that I check out the following places:

Tanglin Road
Holland Village
Tanjong Pagar (Chinatown)
American Embassy area
New Bridge Road
Victoria Ave

Some of them are hard to find on a map (I'm using Google Maps).

Any advice on what's the best way to get the lay of the land and scope out possible apartments/areas?

Thanks!

-Mike

Singapore Property Search

 

humpbackwhale
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:12 am

Post by humpbackwhale » Tue, 01 May 2007 12:33 pm

use the above link key in the name and the condo and you get a map of their location.

tanglin is too expensive
i personally prefer Holland village, you have to live there to know why
the rest of the area is too city for me.

good luck

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 9:07 am
Location: Hibernation

Post by huggybear » Tue, 01 May 2007 1:58 pm

like everyone else who posts up here asking for help.

we know nothing of your personal perferences that would assist us in helping you better.

Nov is 6 months away. the market is very dynamic and check back in one month prior to your coming out here.

as for amenities. make a specific list of what you want.


one thing i'd consider is where your office is and how long a commute you want. If you work in downtown or CBD and are in Holland V. your commute is going to suck. express bus is your only option.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39632
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2007 6:17 pm

Hey Huggy,

Guess you are starting to see why sometimes us mods get rather ascerbic yeah? They use google okay but just can't seem to get a handle on the forum search facility.

:?

Oh, if you haven't guessed. I'm back! Went home as my Dad had some setbacks with his colon cancer operation and it was looking pretty grim. He on the road to recovery now but for a week I didn't have any internet connectivity down on my farm.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 9:07 am
Location: Hibernation

Post by huggybear » Tue, 01 May 2007 8:59 pm

hah. yep. had to fill in for your big shoes while you were away attending to your personal matters. usually i ignore the posts but wanted to help out a fellow americana. good to hear everything is ok and best of luck. surgery is never a pleasant experience but good to see they caught everything.

Mike,
some advice i would offer you is to talk with your american girlfriend on how she is going to react to living in a city where every woman on the island is rail thin and petite. i'd venture to throw a guess out there that there are more then a few women who don't take too well to this and end up becoming very bitter and leaving after a bit to go home.

unless of course your girlfriend is petite and heroin skinny, then she'll fit right in and be hunky dory...but honestly. Nip this in the bud now dude. it will save you some big time problems later.

Dolph
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 4:47 am
Location: Singapore

Eh?

Post by Dolph » Mon, 07 May 2007 2:47 pm

some advice i would offer you is to talk with your american girlfriend on how she is going to react to living in a city where every woman on the island is rail thin and petite. i'd venture to throw a guess out there that there are more then a few women who don't take too well to this and end up becoming very bitter and leaving after a bit to go home.
Expat men don't seem worried about their plentiful statures vis-a-vis their Asian counterparts' slim and healthy builds, so what on earth makes you think it would be any different for women?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39632
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Eh?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 May 2007 6:19 pm

Dolph wrote: Expat men don't seem worried about their plentiful statures vis-a-vis their Asian counterparts' slim and healthy builds, so what on earth makes you think it would be any different for women?
In my case, 25 years of Asian Experience and knowledge of literally dozens of failed marriages and so forth due to exactly those reasons. It is a unfortunate thing but statistically speaking a western male (regardless of his race) is more likely to have a fling with an asian woman than a Western female having an affair with an Asian Male. Unfair. Probably. But them's the facts bro. Take the advice as advice, not as a commandment. Always remember forewarned is forearmed.

Another thing, before just jumping on the plane, make sure you have enough legal documentation to cover your girlfriends requirements (unless she has an employment pass and job of her own). If you cannot document through your embassy or produce evidence of an existing cohabition arrangement prior to arriving here you will really have to jump through some hoops in order to ensure her ability to stay here with you. Visa's aren't usually granted to "girlfriends" and de facto common-law spouses need to provide what I have noted above (and it's still not a guarantee).

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 4:07 pm
Location: Still based in Singapore but wanders around...

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 10 May 2007 6:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: :?

Oh, if you haven't guessed. I'm back! Went home as my Dad had some setbacks with his colon cancer operation and it was looking pretty grim. He on the road to recovery now but for a week I didn't have any internet connectivity down on my farm.
sms,

I hope your dad is doing ok now.

It's only now I got to check the forum. I've been busy packing my stuff for the relocation.

xernstx,

huggybear's right. Better just check out the places a month before you finally move here. I was supposed to relocate a few months ago and it was only this month that things have become a bit firm. And guess what? The rental has really gone up the roof!


If your gf has enough self-confidence and if your relationship is quite strong, then she wouldn't be threated with those lithe SPGs (Sarong Party Girls). :P :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Sydney C
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 21 May 2007 1:10 pm

Re: New American Expat coming in - advice on locations

Post by Sydney C » Mon, 21 May 2007 1:39 pm

xernstx wrote:I'm moving to Singapore in November for work - will have a budget between 3000-5000 SGD (depending on final housing allowance).

Looking for a 2-bedroom apartment/condo with nice amenities - just my girlfriend and I.

I have a friend who lived here for about a year, and he recommended that I check out the following places:

Tanglin Road
Holland Village
Tanjong Pagar (Chinatown)
American Embassy area
New Bridge Road
Victoria Ave

Some of them are hard to find on a map (I'm using Google Maps).

Any advice on what's the best way to get the lay of the land and scope out possible apartments/areas?

Thanks!

-Mike
Hi Mike,

For a 2 bedroom apartment, your budget seems healthy.

For a more comprehensive map, you can try using .

Where you choose to reside may depend on your work location as i'm sure you'd like convenience. The best way to go about finding a place, would actually be engaging a professional agent. They would be able to provide you valuable information on all the different apt/condo and help you narrow down your search.

Cheers!
Syd

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39632
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: New American Expat coming in - advice on locations

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 May 2007 7:53 pm

Sydney C wrote:
For a more comprehensive map, you can try using .

Cheers!
Syd
Hey Syd,


:-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
sq009
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 5:16 pm
Location: River Valley

Post by sq009 » Thu, 31 May 2007 2:48 am

I would suggest river valley area. First of all, its cheaper than tanglin. And Since you mentioned girlfriend, most pubs and clubs are located a stone throw away. Environment is excellent with endless amenities. Surrounded by malls and supermarkets. Location is centralised and accessible.

Been staying here for the past 22 years. Absolutely no complaints.
In Pursuit Of Excellence and Perfection

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 9:07 am
Location: Hibernation

Post by huggybear » Fri, 01 Jun 2007 3:24 pm

he wants a 2 br.
in that budget .... only options in RV / Orchard will be older buildings such as UE square or The Richmond (behind Paragon)
newer buildings oreddi well through 5k.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Re: Eh?

Post by EADG » Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:30 am

could be worse though, if he were heading to Japan there'd be a lot more reason for such concern than here!

huggy's advice is actually quite practical, although I do see a lot of attractive western women here, and, truer words never spoke from SMS as usual - best wishes for your dad's health

to the OP, remember to advise your company that moving to Singapore is no longer the bargain it was only a year ago- I'm paying Tokyo rent-levels now, you don't have to, but you probably will

I personally would not use 'RVR' and 'cheap' in the same sentence, it's where I live and it's not
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Dolph wrote: Expat men don't seem worried about their plentiful statures vis-a-vis their Asian counterparts' slim and healthy builds, so what on earth makes you think it would be any different for women?
In my case, 25 years of Asian Experience and knowledge of literally dozens of failed marriages and so forth due to exactly those reasons. It is a unfortunate thing but statistically speaking a western male (regardless of his race) is more likely to have a fling with an asian woman than a Western female having an affair with an Asian Male. Unfair. Probably. But them's the facts bro. Take the advice as advice, not as a commandment. Always remember forewarned is forearmed.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests