Singapore Expats Forum

Do u like Singapore?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
BBC

Do u like Singapore?

Postby BBC » Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:42 pm

:D
maybe u are a foreigner, just work here, or a PR, will stay here for a long time, do you like here? why?

katman

Postby katman » Sat, 21 Apr 2007 1:51 pm

Gonna go down under. No Work-life balance .

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Sat, 21 Apr 2007 4:05 pm

Absolutely LOVE IT here! Have lots of friends, work is great, party a lil too much I guess and am living in the heart of Asia.. Singapores great! :D

Batik

Re: Do u like Singapore?

Postby Batik » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 1:29 am

BBC wrote::D
maybe u are a foreigner, just work here, or a PR, will stay here for a long time, do you like here? why?
:D :D
:) Hey,i like Singapore.I just recovered a new facial salon in SINGAPORE SHOPPING CENTRE called URONLY SALON.I am very happy and i feel very relax after the facial.
Where are you from?

BBC

Postby BBC » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:31 pm

Hi,Batik,

I come from China, and u?

Shazers
Regular
Regular

Postby Shazers » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:28 pm

katman wrote:Gonna go down under. No Work-life balance .

Allo Katman,

Oh maybe u need to find the rite people!

:wink:

Shazers 8-)

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 4:15 pm

yeh i have been thinking of going home - back to australia - i just cant seem to settle in here - not sure why....

hmmmm :???:
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....
I seem to be getting more "sunburnt" here then i did back home lol!

katman

Postby katman » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 6:54 pm

Kristil - me as well.
Well, shazers, may be you are correct. But I am with a 'perfect' one, but some how things arent as laid back as it was in Chicago for me.

MangoCar
Regular
Regular

Postby MangoCar » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 9:58 am

There are some obvious differences between asian expats and western expats in Singapore, not always but generally. Usually I finish work at 7ish, after dinner, I dont have much time for personal life, not mentioning OT (my office hour is said 6pm but nobody leaves at 6, a weird phenomena here). In my home country, I worked no later than 5:30pm everyday. Many times when I pass by some bars on my way home from my office, I can see a lot of westerners have already changed their dress and started their night drinking session. I do the same but much later, so I am always tired after a night drinking.

My personal impression is locals, especially professionals, work very hard here, and 7pm means normal for them. As an Asian expat, we could earn much more than locals but we are involved in similar life style here where work eats our personal time. I absolutely agree Singapore is a wonderful place to live as long as we can reach work-life balance.

Anyway, having lived here for 6 years, I realize it doesnt suit myself. I simply wish most of the time I could finish my work by 6pm and do some sports, meet my friends after that. I am happy that everything is getting ready for me to leave here.

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:51 am

security wise, Singapore is definitely much safer than my country but people back home are much more friendlier and helping compared to the locals here

to be honest, i haven't work in other countries apart from singapore so i can't do much comparison.

just looking at the brightside, i come to accept the fact that i am working here, so i might as well enjoy the time in Singapore.
and of course, meeting lots of people in this forum makes my years in Singapore brighter :)

for how much longer will I be in Singapore?
I have no idea .. just go with the flow :)

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Yes and No

Postby prkravi » Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:28 am

Well Yes because its a more secured place and the system is perfect.

And i guess its in your hands how you want to use your time in Singapore, it can give you a myriad of choices from pubs / Movies / Food courts / beaches / Islands around it etc.

But No if you ask me because my work life is really screwed up, getting to office and back home is a exhausting task by itself. I work in the IT field and needless to say its crazy. If you are in a more organised work environment and you can get to leave work by say around 6 then there are TONS of things to do here.

But with an IT guy i guess its the same in any part of Globe.

MangoCar
Regular
Regular

Re: Yes and No

Postby MangoCar » Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:27 am

prkravi wrote:But with an IT guy i guess its the same in any part of Globe.

No England, no Australia, no America, no even China mainland, generally though.
I work in IT too. In my experience, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan are very similar regarding work-life balance :lol: In many western countries, work time is clear and firm for employees, OT is occasionally required but not like here half to two hours everyday without being paid. I dont see the necessity to work OT everyday here, I more believe this is local's bad habbit under a sick competition pressure. If who leaves office punctually everyday at 6pm while others are still working, he/she would be regarded not busy or even lazy in the office. That's why I cant put rest of my life here even it's great in other aspects.