Singapore Expats Forum

Cathay Pacific Nostalgia

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
camperboy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 27 Dec 2006

Postby camperboy » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 2:44 pm

desijoey wrote:Not to burst ur bubbles but I have a strong feeling CX WILL have a chinese test.Coz they did specify we have to know English and one other Asian language.I'm pretty sure they would like us to know some Cantonese too if possible since we will be flying to HK and CX is a HK airline. :)


You sure?

cos i got selected for interview even though my language proficiency for mandarin is not stated in my resume.

:-| :-|

Tat means, no hope for me...

Hero83
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon, 05 Mar 2007

Postby Hero83 » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 4:17 pm

camperboy wrote:cos i got selected for interview even though my language proficiency for mandarin is not stated in my resume.


No worries, camperboy. I even stated in my resume that my language proficiency for mandarin is satisfactory only. Good luck to you!

desijoey
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri, 16 Jun 2006
Location: singapore

Postby desijoey » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 4:23 pm

Hero83 wrote:
camperboy wrote:cos i got selected for interview even though my language proficiency for mandarin is not stated in my resume.


No worries, camperboy. I even stated in my resume that my language proficiency for mandarin is satisfactory only. Good luck to you!


Hey guys no worries la...I didn't state anything about my language proficiency in my resume too.I'm just hazarding a guess.Might not be true.Chill! :)

happyfeet
Regular
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri, 16 Mar 2007
Location: singapore

Postby happyfeet » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 4:30 pm

Hi guys, i guess most likely would be reading a passage fluently cos FA would be required to make mandarin announcement too. Dun think will be a written test.

So dun worry so much. For those who is gg on the 26th Apr. You can get urself more prepare cos those who went for the 1st day would share their intv process here! :) Good lLuck!

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 5:03 pm

happyfeet wrote:Hi guys, i guess most likely would be reading a passage fluently cos FA would be required to make mandarin announcement too.


I would have thought so; when you fly SIA Singapore-Hong Kong the announcement is in English and Mandarin. However, I do not know if that is on the direction of the company or simply because some attendants speak mandarin.

mz^d
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed, 04 Apr 2007

Postby mz^d » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 5:05 pm

What about non-chinese candidates, are we required to take tests in our mother tongue? I didn't even pass my mother tongue, I was too busy checking out the rugby players during class :p ARGHhhhhhh

camperboy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 27 Dec 2006

Postby camperboy » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 5:32 pm

mz^d wrote:What about non-chinese candidates, are we required to take tests in our mother tongue? I didn't even pass my mother tongue, I was too busy checking out the rugby players during class :p ARGHhhhhhh


Yeah exactly. Thats what I want to know too.

There must a reason why they only put ASIAN LANGUAGE and not specifically mandarin, cantonese or other oriental languages... :)

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 9:54 pm

mmm. my cantonese is lousy, i am fluent in hakka only. well at least i got an A1 in chinese. :lol:

don't worry so much! as long as you can understand the language, shld be fine! :D
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

User avatar
abnegation
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed, 21 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby abnegation » Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:15 pm

Arrrggghh.

I can speak the chinese language but reading it will be a teeny problem. :x
★ abnegation; self denial

User avatar
theknees
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon, 19 Mar 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby theknees » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:17 am

well, i mean we don't have to know how to speak tamil or something if we fly to colombo right.

they can always teach me how to read the mandarin announcement later what! ha.

should i go brush up on my chinese these few days haha.
ღ i wanna kiss you underneath the stars //

User avatar
catchmeifucan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat, 07 Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby catchmeifucan » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:25 am

theknees wrote:well, i mean we don't have to know how to speak tamil or something if we fly to colombo right.

they can always teach me how to read the mandarin announcement later what! ha.

should i go brush up on my chinese these few days haha.


:lol: :lol: :lol: u're so funny and u have got a point here about not needing to know how to speak tamil. But that also mean that they are probably also looking for singapore based-indian flight attendants too. so no worries that no one can speak tamil during the flight from hongkong to colombo. :wink:
Last edited by catchmeifucan on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-~-~Growing my wings! Grow faster! I wanna Fly High & be a High Flyer hehe~-~-

camperboy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 27 Dec 2006

Postby camperboy » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:28 am

catchmeifucan wrote:
theknees wrote:well, i mean we don't have to know how to speak tamil or something if we fly to colombo right.

they can always teach me how to read the mandarin announcement later what! ha.

should i go brush up on my chinese these few days haha.


:lol: :lol: :lol: u're so funny and u have got a point here about not needing to know how to speak tamil. But that also mean that they are probably also looking for singapore based-indian flight attendants too. :wink:


knowing singapore, i think they would hire from all sorts of races la.. :lol:

or else how to be an equal employer... :lol: :lol:

User avatar
catchmeifucan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat, 07 Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby catchmeifucan » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:31 am

camperboy wrote:
catchmeifucan wrote:
theknees wrote:well, i mean we don't have to know how to speak tamil or something if we fly to colombo right.

they can always teach me how to read the mandarin announcement later what! ha.

should i go brush up on my chinese these few days haha.


:lol: :lol: :lol: u're so funny and u have got a point here about not needing to know how to speak tamil. But that also mean that they are probably also looking for singapore based-indian flight attendants too. :wink:


knowing singapore, i think they would hire from all sorts of races la.. :lol:

or else how to be an equal employer... :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: exactly thats wat i am trying to say about the speaking tamil part..since we are concern just about what if one can't speak English or chinese well..or can't read..
-~-~Growing my wings! Grow faster! I wanna Fly High & be a High Flyer hehe~-~-

User avatar
theknees
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon, 19 Mar 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby theknees » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:38 am

lol ya la. it'll be unfair if they hire just based on language alone.

cannot be they are only hiring indians for the colombo flights and chinese for the HK flights.

just give me hanyupinyin and i can read the chinese words already. lol.

at times like this, our beloved government will be saying "hua yu cool!"

:X
ღ i wanna kiss you underneath the stars //

User avatar
abnegation
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed, 21 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby abnegation » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 1:39 am

theknees wrote:lol ya la. it'll be unfair if they hire just based on language alone.

cannot be they are only hiring indians for the colombo flights and chinese for the HK flights.

just give me hanyupinyin and i can read the chinese words already. lol.

at times like this, our beloved government will be saying "hua yu cool!"

:X


HAHAHAHAHA. :lol: :lol:
★ abnegation; self denial


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests