Singapore Expats

120 V and transformers

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
chicagoans

120 V and transformers

Post by chicagoans » Fri, 13 Apr 2007 9:24 am

I will be coming to Singapore in June and the movers are coming in 4 weeks. Today I looked at my expensive kitchen appliances that I was going to bring, and they are all 120V, no dual voltage. I was wondering if anyone had experience with transformers on 120V appliances. Should I bring these with me and use a transfomer, or should I store them at home? Thanks for your help!

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:28 am

Transformers are big, ugly and generate heat - when we moved from the us, we sold off all our 110v appliances and bought new ones here, but then again, we intend to stay long term - no plans on going back, I do have a couple of household gadgets on transformers such as a couple of lights, but only because they were pretty unique but I am not really happy with transformers

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 13 Apr 2007 4:08 pm

Agree, sell or store your good stuff. Transformers are a waste of money and space.

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for your input!, Looks like my garage sale at the end of the month is going to have a lot more things in it! I'll be storing the expensive items. We are also coming over without an end date, so it could be a year, could be 10! Thank you again!!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 7:45 pm

chicagoans wrote:Thanks for your input!, Looks like my garage sale at the end of the month is going to have a lot more things in it! I'll be storing the expensive items. We are also coming over without an end date, so it could be a year, could be 10! Thank you again!!!
Be careful. I came here the same way. Well, I had an end date of 12 months but after the contract had been rolled over 8 times.........

Next month I pass a quarter of a century here! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans » Sun, 15 Apr 2007 3:05 am

Yes, I have heard that once we are there and stay a while we may not want to come back. I have heard only positive things about Singapore. My better half is already there working waiting for the family to arrive in June. Right now I'm over my head in getting rid of a large majority of our things!
I have learned from my husbnad though that prices are expensive on most things and so I will have to find the best places for the good deals, if there are any!

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Fri, 27 Apr 2007 2:47 pm

I have now lived here for two years and very much enjoy the country, the lifestyle and the people - Interestingly we now have 3 families who are friends all going thru the same path - Moved to Singapore, lived here for 2-5 years - moved away and have now moved back or are in the process of moving back. So be warned, it's hard to leave.