Singapore Expats

Mediterranean restaurant

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Nafo

Mediterranean restaurant

Post by Nafo » Thu, 12 Apr 2007 8:25 pm

Hi folks,
I am planning to set up a small Mediterranean restaurant here in Singapore.The space is going to be small but has got a friendly and warm atmosphere.Somehow I cant find any available space at city centre since the business should attract Expats(and available places that I found is incredibly expensive and the budget is slightly tight anyway).Can anyone advice where this business can be operated alternatively?
And one more thing!!!Do you locals like Mediterranean cuisine or it is only "once in a while" thing to you.
Cheers

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:34 pm

And further questions would be:

Is there a market for such in Singapore?

How big is this market?

Where is it located?

What are these people willing to spend?

How will I be catering for these people?

Is there competiton?

Where is the competition?

What is the competition doing?

How is their pricing?

How is their product?

How will I compete?

Etc etc.

A tip: Go to Streeters on Keong Saik Road and have dinner there, look at the menu, the prices, the service, the products, the venue and then think if you could do better and make sure their customers come to your place?
Time will come....

Nafo

Post by Nafo » Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks for recommendations.
Instead I went to "Werner's oven" at East Coast tonight and I am amazed by local crowd(I mean ratio locals to expats) .So I am more relieved now that locals also easily go with Western cuisine.I also want to check out week day crowd over there and then I really may consider this kind of "out of city" area.What do you think?
Thanks for your time anyway.

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Winxkid » Sun, 15 Apr 2007 6:03 am

it will be great to have Mediterranean cuisine by the sea. :D

An airconditioned wooden restaurant by the sea will be deeply apperciated by majority :D

angel_rose
Regular
Regular
Location: On earth "Values are only measured by the importance it has to you"

Post by angel_rose » Mon, 16 Apr 2007 4:54 pm

Nafo wrote:Thanks for recommendations. I am more relieved now that locals also easily go with Western cuisine.I also want to check out week day crowd over there and then I really may consider this kind of "out of city" area.What do you think?
Hi...my family used to run 24 hr restaurant at east coast and for sure that this place is the most happening...the rental is really affordable and the location is superb....weekday business was slow but you don't have to worry because yr cost would be covered by night and weekend crowd....good luck for your new venture :wink:

Nafo

Post by Nafo » Mon, 16 Apr 2007 8:36 pm

Hi,
The place I had mentioned was East Coast (or upper East Coast Road) Road actually but I suspect that you might be talking about East Coast Park.If so,ofcourse that places are very nice but not very easy to access unless you drive.I just didnt feel very comfortable to rent somewhere by seaside at this beginning stage.Am I wrong?Or is it still has to be considered?Btw,how about Esplanade?
Thanks for your time.

angel_rose
Regular
Regular

Post by angel_rose » Tue, 17 Apr 2007 3:55 pm

One of the biggest decisions you'll ever make, aside from who to marry and whether or not to have kids, is whether to open a restaurant.... :lol: :lol:
The restaurant business is very challenging to be successful in and having a strong location will enhance your chances for success. The key factors to consider in choosing the proper location are as follows:
1) rent affordability,
2) demographics match your concept requirements
3) trade area draw and
4) major market generators in the neighborhood.

if you think that seaside location is not very good option for you why don't consider Arab street if you are planning to start small??? it has very good prospect,trust me....... :wink: ....please,forget esplanade...there are so much competition here...and the rental is bloody expensive!!!!..or you can work with a local commercial real estate broker who is familiar with the restaurant business. Find out what existing restaurants have to rent or sell for. If you are purchasing an existing restaurant, look at their books and assets. Look at how much has been invested in the space. Is there much work to be done? Is the work that has been done recent? What are your potential earnings at this location?.....all the best with your finding nafo :) :D

Nafo

Post by Nafo » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 5:26 pm

Thanks

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:14 pm

Nafo wrote:Thanks for recommendations.
Instead I went to "Werner's oven" at East Coast tonight and I am amazed by local crowd(I mean ratio locals to expats) .So I am more relieved now that locals also easily go with Western cuisine.I also want to check out week day crowd over there and then I really may consider this kind of "out of city" area.What do you think?
Good you mention Werner's...

You know why locals eat there?

One word: Pork.

The German kitchen serves huge portions of pork and the Chinese love it. No other reason than that, Werner is a smart guy.

Regarding the area, it is Siglap actually at Upper East Coast Road indeed.

About where to open a place: That all really depends on what you will be serving for which target audience at what price, in other words: Marketing.

Google "the 7 P's of marketing" and fill in all of those (Product, price, place etc etc.).

The reason I am saying such: Werner's may be successful, but that has nothing to do with just the location. It is because he offers decent food at a decent price on a location that is known to have a good mix of locals and expats. So he found the right balance for a market that was not being served yet.

I suggest you first decide what you gonna serve fro which target audience. The find out where this audience may well live or is to be found during lunch and / or dinner time.

Then find out the competition and the pricing and the quality.

Then start looking for a place in the selected area and also make sure you got your suppliers well organized.

Good luck!
Time will come....

angel_rose
Regular
Regular

Post by angel_rose » Fri, 20 Apr 2007 4:31 pm

you can reach bigger market segments if you don't sell pork(Malays are the second biggest consumers here) and i'll become your new customer :wink:....
Nafo, you don't have to close your restaurant when nipah virus strikes again if you don't sell it... :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 5:00 pm

I am no fan of pork either angel rose, I was only pointing out that Werner's concept is a smart balanced one: big target audience, right pricing, good value for money.

Malays may be the second here, but still a minority by far.

Give me nasi padang anytime, no pork for me either! :)
Time will come....

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 8:14 pm

Singapore is a food heaven, everyone loves to eat and try new restaurants. No matter where is the place, someone will find it. Young Singaporean don't cook much. I'm not Singaporean but my collegue told me they have large kitchen but only use it to cook instant noodle or pasta. So if you want to open a restaurant here, don't worry where it is but make sure you do some marketing, PR and most important keep the price low............ :D ALL the best!

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:20 am

jamesbond wrote: So if you want to open a restaurant here, don't worry where it is but make sure you do some marketing, PR and most important keep the price low............ :D ALL the best!
Don't worry about the location, but do some marketing??????

Sounds like a contradiction interminus...
Time will come....

Nafo

Post by Nafo » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:40 am

I think the philosophy should be like "do it properly whatever you do" and Werners is doing it properly.
By the way I found an existing restaurant few days ago and I may take over it within this week.I will let you know and invite you over as my quest once its concluded.

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 1:32 pm

Let us know Nafo! :D
Time will come....