Singapore Expats Forum

Been to Saudi Arabia?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

fast_dolphin

Postby fast_dolphin » Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:49 pm

Having had two family members work there, and some close friends i will say this:

great work experience opportunity for you.
great chance to make cash (maybe not as an intern)
a real lesson in cultural sensitivity

Now, i don't want to offend but as a chinese singaporean you may find it hard to go from being part of a majority to being part of a minority. Two of my chinese singaporean friends who have often commented that they never understood why the minorities in singapore complained of 'racism' until they left and worked abroad (in the middle east, incidently!) as has one of my previous supervisors (HK chinese).

So in my opinion it is probably a great opportunity to expand your horizons and view point - and although you may say 'i am already culturally sensitive and have broad horizons' (i know i did many years ago) it won't be until an experience like the one you are potentially undertaking that you realize how much more there is the learn.

So my advice, go for it. It'll do you good as a person, look great on your CV and help getting any other lucrative jobs in the ME later on in life.

Go for it!

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 6:46 pm

can u let me know if u went ??
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:22 pm

I worked in Saudi for over a year.
It is very hot, but a dry heat unlike the humidity elsewhere.
The people are pleasant.(most)
I was grateful to be given the chance to see another part of this great planet, with its various cultures and races of people.
I respected there views and laws as it is their country.
I travelled from to Bahrain and over the causeway, rather than landing in Saudi.
Bahrain is easy reach from Saudi and more liberal and worth a look.
I was not based in Riyadh, but in Al-khobar.