Singapore Expats

finding a job for BF .. HELP!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
lalamama

finding a job for BF .. HELP!

Post by lalamama » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:01 pm

my boyfriend is an american .. he only has high school education and he is a truck driver in the states.. what are the chances of him getting a job here...its been 5 months of seperation ... why cant singapore be more flexible? .. education seems to be the greatest barrier..what kind of jobs are suitable for him

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:21 pm

Check out this "sticky" topic:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic39062.html

It gives you an idea about jobs in Singapore.

Good luck!
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: finding a job for BF .. HELP!

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:32 pm

lalamama wrote:my boyfriend is an american .. he only has high school education and he is a truck driver in the states.. what are the chances of him getting a job here...its been 5 months of seperation ... why cant singapore be more flexible? .. education seems to be the greatest barrier..what kind of jobs are suitable for him
So... the hard truth is this. Anyone can drive a truck. Why should Singapore let in your BF to drive a truck when anyone here could do the same job? They would only be taking a job from a local. Same is true for any blue collar or semi-skilled job... or even skilled labor.

Singapore is far more flexible than the US. Your BF is in the unfortunate circumstance of not being able to offer anything more than a local could provide, and under the circumstances, local employment will take precedence. Does this make sense to you?