Singapore Expats Forum

Natutal vision improvement? for real? no more lasik?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.

solarv
Chatter
Chatter

Natutal vision improvement? for real? no more lasik?

Postby solarv » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 8:49 pm

http://www.thebatesmethod.com/sg/index.htm

Anyone tried this method before? Tell me what you think of this...

serene987

Postby serene987 » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 9:11 pm

Hi

I previously looked at various non-surgical methods of correction of myopia. Most methods are not supported by strong evidence. I also saw the glasses sold at pharmacies- the one with holes... they look awful. Really can't imagine myself wearing them.

I think if your power is high enough- maybe more than 300 deg, I havne't seen anything that has good evidence for long-term results. Some of these methods are also expensive! When talking to docs - many of them are sceptical of these methods that promise too much.

I finally decided to go for LASIK, as that seems to be the most popular method for treating myopia. Now I have perfect vision without the need for glasses or contact lens...D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 8:56 pm

I'd say the bates methods is about the same a selling snake oil.

If what they are proposing is true, then using step-down glasses (talking about reducing the power by 50 degrees) in order to "heal thyself" then the opticians would be out of business within a year. Let's use a wee bit of common sense here. When does the average child replace their glasses? When they are about 50 degrees out. So if that's the case, then they should continue to wear the same glasses until their eyes get better according to the stepdown method. That obviously doesn't work. So who's scamming who?

Use a snakeoil salesman and make you eyes even worse. Where are all the clinical trials (I looked for some to be quoted but surprise surprise - I didn't find any - wonder why?!!?)

If the bates methods really worked and has been around for 80 years then it would be on the front pages of every medical journal and magazine and newspaper in the world. Especially in this country where the government like to pat itself on the back so much. Don't you think they would have already been on top of that. Especially seeing Singaporean are the most myopic people in the world (both figuratively and actually). :wink:

serene987

Postby serene987 » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 9:40 pm

Agree with above.

Anyway, solary, how high are your degrees?

solarv
Chatter
Chatter

Postby solarv » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:32 pm

serene987 wrote:Agree with above.

Anyway, solary, how high are your degrees?

150~200, I doubt i can go for lasik...any idea

serene987

Postby serene987 » Tue, 10 Apr 2007 9:36 pm

Hi Solarv

heard there's also neurovision. That's a newer technique- but it's expensive, and long-term results are not known.

I think as long as you need to wear glasses or contact lens, then lasik is useful. My degrees were much higher than yours... and I had a perfect result. let me know if you would like more info.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:07 pm

I agree with sms; Bates 'perfected' his method a century ago so if it is as successful as some claim why isn't it in everyday use? The answer is simple there is no evidence that prove it works, just anohter loony theory to empty the wallets and purses of those either gullible enough. :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series6/vision_correction.shtml