Singapore Expats Forum

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
adr3382

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Postby adr3382 » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 5:29 pm

Hey guys. Well the tickets booked the job contract is signed, as of the 6th of May I will be residing in Singapore. and I AM COMPLETELY TERRIFIED!! To be completely honest I have been to Singapore, once, for one day, a long time ago. I know many people who have loved it there and I am sure I will, but I am finding the whole prospect of making friends etc very daunting. So a desperate request to chat with some people on here in the hope of finding out more about the place and hopefully being able to meet up for drinks etc when I get there next month.

Cheers guys

Aidan
they say hard work wont kill you, but why take the chance?

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Friends

Postby Asdracles » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 5:32 pm

There are lot of friends in this sub-forum about meetings. Its really easy to meet new people here.

Im only here for 3 weeks, and I have already been in 6-7 expats gatherings. All differents: Movies, brunch, drinking, clubbing, ....

So I thinks its very easy for a foreigner (at least, was for me) to meet new people.

All help I can do, I will be glad of doing, as another forum people was very helpful with me before coming here.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 8:55 pm

Hi Aidan,

I came here without ever being to Aisa before. First I was very excited, couldn't wait for the day to leave... but the close the day came actually, the more I got afraid of what i am going to do... the more friends I had to say "good bye" to, the sader I got... and the more I thought, it was the wrong decision... but once in the plane it was ok. Once i got here, all was great. It took me a while to find this forum, but this really helps a lot. You meet lots of ppl, different gatherings, whatever you like. Help in any kind of official problem, someone know the answer or can at least tell where to check... just great !
Also through work you will get to know different ppl. it is so easy to make friends here. And the City is ust great. So many options, you can do whatever you like, buy whatever you like. You get food from all over the world. It is fantastic !
Guess the feeling is normal, when the date of leaving your home gets closer. Your feelings about it just go up and down... But belive me, once you are here you will love it !!!
we know what we are, but know not what we may be

adr3382

Postby adr3382 » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:14 pm

thanks guys that makes me feel much better.Germangirl did you go on your own? I have lived in Dubai for the last three years, but when I first came I did come with someone, is it harder doing it on your own? God I sound like such a drip
Last edited by adr3382 on Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:17 pm

adr3382 wrote:thanks guys that makes me feel much better.Germangirl did you go on your own? I have lived in Dubai for the last three years, but when I first came I did come with someone

yes, i left my family and friends all at home, also my boyfriend (who proposed to me just before I left) + my dog :)
i am here for a 2 years contract and then go back to the german headoffice.

but even if you come here alone, you get toknow lots of ppl very quick.

adr3382

Postby adr3382 » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:19 pm

he proposed to you before you left and you still left? How are you finding the long distance thing?
Last edited by adr3382 on Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:20 pm

yeah, well, he asked me if I will marry him once I get back after 2 years... he did not make me stop going... he more assured me that he will stay and wait for me.... and that we will go go through this together... :)

adr3382

Postby adr3382 » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:21 pm

and how are you finding that? Do you have msn by the way?

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:24 pm

no, don't hv msn...

well, of course it is not easy. but i like the way he is supporting me in this decision i made. he supported me from the first day my compandy made that offer to come here and open the new office. it is kind of a "one in a lifetime" opportunity, starting an office from zero in a place like this :) i couldn't refuse. and he couldn't join me due tohis work... but we work it out. i go back to see him in 2 weeks and can't wait :)

adr3382

Postby adr3382 » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:28 pm

thats really awesome, good on you both, I have so much respect for people whomake it work like that. And will make your relationship somuch stronger I imagine

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 9:33 pm

yeah, that's true...
you know, my best friend lives in New Zealand since 5 years, but she is still my best friend... by the way we talk, and when we see each other, its like nothing ever changed... if both parts are true and strong about it, distance doesn't matter.
and a change of place is always good. for your own personality same as for the ppl you might leave behind for a while....
I am sure you will like it here ! but i can understand your feelings right now. My last days back home, I felt different every day... but thats just how it is i guess :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:32 pm

adr3382 wrote:thanks guys that makes me feel much better.Germangirl did you go on your own? I have lived in Dubai for the last three years, but when I first came I did come with someone, is it harder doing it on your own? God I sound like such a drip

Hey, what you're feeling is just normal. Don't think that you're such a drip. There are nice people around this forum. And there's always something being organized. I'm sure you'd find new friends once you're settled in Sg.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:30 am

Hey Aidan

I cant seem to be able to pm you but thanks for your message.. if you have msn then send me your addy and I can add you and give you some pointers as have been here a few months..

cathea

Hi there

Postby cathea » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 1:51 pm

A newcomer to Singapore as well. Hope you will enjoy the stay :D

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby muratkorman » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 2:24 pm

Everybody feels more or less the same in the beginning. It is you to decide how long this will continue. Being an expat has many pros and cons, but I believe it is the best fit for people having explorer character. Doing this only for money won't make the person happy and it won't work for a long period.

I see that you already have some experience from the past and you are just a bit afraid of not finding any friends. If you are able to make friends easily, it applies to anywhere in the world. It has been only 1 month since I am here and I already have found some friends. I am sure you will be also successful. The local people are also very warm and nice so there is nothing to worry.

I couldn't join any meetings arranged in this forum yet because of finding a flat, moving in and so on, but I see that you can always find a chance for meeting new people.

I also appreciate Germangirl for continuing a relationship with such a distance and I know it is very difficult. Luckily I have convinced my girlfriend to come here and I don't need to suffer.

Let us know when you arrive and settle and we meet somewhere.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman