Singapore Expats Forum

Can you recommend a tailor for me?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JJBreeze

Can you recommend a tailor for me?

Postby JJBreeze » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 7:49 pm

Hey everyone!

I am setting off on a round the world trip in a few weeks time, and will be spending a week or so in Singapore. I have heard that there are some excellent (and very cheap!) tailors there. Is this correct?

When I get back from my travels i'll be finally starting work (after university and this year out), so I thought this would be a great chance to pick up a couple of nice suits.

So can you guys recommend a great tailor for me? I don't really know how much 2-3 suits would cost. I know there must be budget options, and of course more expensive options, so any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 8:49 pm

actually I'd like this kind of info from a different perspective.

I'm not on a budget but don't want to take chances on bad tailors (did that once in Thailand, bad results). I have a HK tailor from when I lived in Tokyo, he'd some to the trading floor with swatches, already has our measurements, and a month later he'd be back with the goods. And the quality was pretty good.

But HK & Tokyo prices nor salaries are not the same as here.

6 of his shirts will cost the equivalent of SGD$542 - how does that line up with the norm here?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 9:17 pm

EADG wrote:actually I'd like this kind of info from a different perspective.

I'm not on a budget but don't want to take chances on bad tailors (did that once in Thailand, bad results). I have a HK tailor from when I lived in Tokyo, he'd some to the trading floor with swatches, already has our measurements, and a month later he'd be back with the goods. And the quality was pretty good.

But HK & Tokyo prices nor salaries are not the same as here.

6 of his shirts will cost the equivalent of SGD$542 - how does that line up with the norm here?

The tailor i use is very good, they have hundreds of overseas clients, I was very pleased with my light weight mohair suit I purchased at 500$, they used to be on the bridge at change alley, but have since moved, just around the corner, due to re-development. try www.tjtailor.com for the address. he is very well known in the area, so the new pemises should be easy to find, in Raffles place. ask around for TJ's:

Our new address:
24 Raffles Place
#01-23 Clifford Centre (right opposite Guardian Pharmacy)
Singapore 048621

I had the first fitting on Wednesday and it was finished for Friday. Remember with tailors these days, the measurments are taken, and the actual sewing is outsourced these days, to machine shops. Not like 30 years ago, when the same guy that measured you up, did the actual sewing has well.

So you have room to bargain, but 500$ is fair, and the work is good, they have been around change alley since i was here in 1970, it's an old family business, with brothers and sister also in the trade.

I think shirts are around 50$! Although depends also on the textile used.

Christl

Postby Christl » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:54 am

can anybody recommend a tailor that does not only do his "standard" stuff but can also make a dress according to a picture or drawing? i got some nice pics of 60s stuff here and would like to get 1 or 2 dresses :) any advise would be great
Northern Soul ist kein Spass

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:11 pm

Christl wrote:can anybody recommend a tailor that does not only do his "standard" stuff but can also make a dress according to a picture or drawing? i got some nice pics of 60s stuff here and would like to get 1 or 2 dresses :) any advise would be great

Take it to the place above! You'll be surprised at what tailors can do, In fact I would say, it's a poor tailor, that cannot make a dress! That's speaking from my mothers experience, who could make anything from wedding dresses, to suits!

The skill is in the measurements and cutting! Just tell TJ you was recommended from the expats website.