Singapore Expats Forum

What do you do when you get homesick *sob*

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Kristii
Regular
Regular

What do you do when you get homesick *sob*

Postby Kristii » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 9:10 am

HEY!!!

Ive been here now for over a month - but im really started to get homesick and miss my my friends and family and pets back in Australia!!! It doesnt help as well that all my friends are emailing me telling me to "Get my ass back home" hahhahaha!!!

I havent met any friends as yet - will be heading out this sat night for the lady's night - but i was just wondering - what do other expats do when they are homesick???? Im going back home for a month in May - which cant come quick enuf!! ahah!! Its great here but im missing home like crazy!! But i want to stay here!! OMG im so confused!! :shock:
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....
I seem to be getting more "sunburnt" here then i did back home lol!

Louiza

Postby Louiza » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 9:49 am

Hi Kristii,

Good question, I would like to know too...
I guess making new friends help?

Have been stuck at home ever since I arrived just under 2 weeks ago, trying to catch up on work, and in between that, going to the supermarket to look at vegemite...and all the food that I have cravings for and somehow superhard to get here.... But hopefully, I can catch up with the work and start exploring Singapore next week!

So far, I've only had 1 major homesickness 'episode', but certainly doesn't help hubby-dearest said - well, why don't you go back to Sydney then!

Looking forward to going to Melbourne in June :)
Let me know if you want to meet up for coffee and vegemite on toast or something, hehe... (can't PM you since I'm a newbie here)

Louiza.

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 9:59 am

Hey Louiza!!!
So goo to see a fellow Aussie hah!!!

Yeh i have had a cpl of homesick "episodes" - not fun!! All my friends email me and say they have done this or they are going there etc etc and im like!!! I DONT EVEN HAVE ANY FRIENDS YET!!! hahahahah!!!

Catching up would be good! Im going to try and organise and Aussie night in a cpl of weeks - get all the aussies together - and anyone else of course - to have a few drinks etc....You should come!!

P.S - i bought vegemite at cold storage!!!

hahahahhahah!!

My email or MSN is Kristii_24@hotmail.com!

Feel free to add me to msn - or send me an email anytime!!
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....

Louiza

Postby Louiza » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:39 am

Must bite the bullet and buy that vegemite!!
(The jars that I saw was rather large, I'll never finish it before it expires! Hubby thought it's the supermarket's way of making money :? )

Have added you to msn, shall see you there!

PS How are you finding telly here - we haven't subscribed to cable yet, the free-to-air stuff is pretty blegh :cry: I miss Oz telly channels!

petit_fleur

Postby petit_fleur » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 1:50 pm

Hi Kristii

Hope you will feel a little better soon. It takes time to make new friends and one month is kind of a short period to meet and know people. Eventually things will be a little more settled and it will be better. Vegemite and pies and stuff helps at times. I used to ask friends to chalk up on stuff for me from food to clothing to magazine when they travelled :P .

petit

lauren84

Postby lauren84 » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Kristii,

I am also homesick. I have been here for 2 months now and I have no job and very few friends. Like you I am hanging out for my trip back home to Australia. I am finding it really difficult to get a job here which means I have a lot of time by myself I think this is the main problem.. Too much time to think about how much i miss home.

I hope you feel better soon.

Lauren

M-T

You can...

Postby M-T » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 6:14 pm

You can buy Tim Tams at the Candy Store at Millenia Walk. Probably at Marketplace as well. But I think (once you've eaten the Tim Tams) the best thing you can do is make some new great friends who will soon make you feel like SG is your home.

hello_20

welcome

Postby hello_20 » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:03 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to singapore.

Yes, when you start off in a new place you will sure feel homesick. Don't worry, you are not alone. We have all in some degree one time or another felt it but today we can say we have somewhat overcome it, not totally though. I miss Canada, the nice cool place.

Join in some of the events organized by people in this forum and after a while you will feel more at home. The Canadian group meets on the first Friday night of every month from 7:30 pm onwards at Muddy Murphy’s Irish Pub, #B1-04, Orchard Hotel Shopping Arcade (Tel: 6735-0400). Look for the Canadian flag or ask the Muddy staff. Complimentary finger food served from 8:15 pm onwards.

Hope you get settled in soon and get out to meet more of us folks.

Cheers.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:18 pm

Kristii, I understand you. Keep yourself busy and try to get yourself a social network.
I've been here for a month now, but before that I lived with my boyfriend in Bhutan, a really isolated small country in the middle of the Himalayas. Its a absolutely beautiful country with lovely people, but there's NOTHING to do. "Nothing" to eat and nothing to go shopping for.
I was without job for 8 months, just waiting for my boyfriend to get back from work. That sucked!
So now I got myself a job, even if it is not the dreamjob, it is something that makes me feel useful and that will keep me busy. It is also something that is my own.
Get to know people and start to make friends! There is a lot of people in the same situation here in Singapore, so we just have to stick together.

You will make friends on Saturday! Start with me if you like! Haha!
See you Sat!
Camilla :cool:

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:09 am

hahah for sure!!! cant wait to meet you guys!!!

cya then ! :D

kirstyL
Regular
Regular

lonely....im so lonely

Postby kirstyL » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:21 am

Hi girls,

yes we all know how u feel, i work but dont seem to do much other then work so still get bored alot and lonely. I am from Queensland so miss it heaps all the time, i even miss the stupid shopping there, its hard to find clothes and the food u love, the coffee here sucks (no nescafe blend 43!) But this is what i did, i searched and searched until i found tim tams then i searched and searched until i found cadbury snack chocolate ( which can be found at the chocolate shop cocoa tree at harbour front shopping centre). Other then that if i am really missing everyone i give them a call and say where the bloody hell are ya!

I would say the only fix is to find someone here in sg who is from where u are from, get talking and make friends, the accent will fix it all the time. For me i dont have one anymore so I really love hearing it!

So i guess this saturday will be a good start for you then Kristii!

They say you can either miss home or find it where ever you are.....

westoz

Postby westoz » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:15 pm

I am guessing that i may be fairly unique here. it seems i am the only guy who is trying to find ppl to hang out with. for the last month i have been at the swissotel on stamford using email, hanging out by the pool and wandering around town till my fiancee gets back from work.
we finally move into a place this weekend and would like to expand our circle of friends. anyone can get me on dtritus@hotmail.com or pm if you can.
sam (thats me)

westoz

Postby westoz » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:15 pm

I am guessing that i may be fairly unique here. it seems i am the only guy who is trying to find ppl to hang out with. for the last month i have been at the swissotel on stamford using email, hanging out by the pool and wandering around town till my fiancee gets back from work.
we finally move into a place this weekend and would like to expand our circle of friends. anyone can get me on dtritus@hotmail.com or pm if you can.
sam (thats me)

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:19 pm

dont worry we're all on the same boat.

But like others said, once you make some friends here, you'll feel more belonging... :wink:

I am definitely now feel more like home in Singapore because of some great friends I met from this forum!!! :)

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 1:32 pm

Hey guys

Promise it does get better the more you settle into the place.. I have been here 'properly' now for 6 months and really do love it.. I have made quite a few friends since I have been here and we normally go out in quite a big bunch so if you fancy coming along just let me know ok?! :D