Singapore Expats

another taxi thread

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
EADG
Reporter
Reporter

another taxi thread

Post by EADG » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:45 am

(seems to be no end to these...)

so here's my question - if you allow yourself succumb to the system and call a taxi at rush hour (anywhere from 17:30 19:59:59 in CBD) to pay an exorbitant fee

and the taxi company says the taxi will be there in nn minutes

and the taxi arrives in nn+3 minutes

do you still have to pay the booking fee?

seem like an increase of taxis not arriving in the time frame they advertise, and while I can understand and forgive a minute here or there, as we're paying a premium for this service think they should be responsible and not laugh it off as "oh, traffic jam boss" yet again

they might be other taxis in the area that could get there on time

there's at least one spot around Suntec where the taxis park and wait for calls, while there's a queue at each taxi stand

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:21 am

I hate trying to get a cab in the city between 5pm and 11pm, and usually take the MRT. Or avoid the city altogether if I can.

Try taking a picture of those cabs hanging around at Suntec and send it to the papers. Hopefully it will be published and incense people enough for something to be done about it.

You could also negotiate with the driver to accept a lower fee as compensation, or call the taxi company and complain (while you're in the cab of course, and talk loudly) but go easy on the girls who answer the phone, they are victims of the lousy system too and already stomach a lot of crap from irate callers like me!

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:41 am

A walk from suntec to city hall MRT via city link is about nn minus 5 minutes.
Time will come....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 6:20 pm

I don't think it is worth the sweat. It is just one of life's minor irritations.

Sure, they should get there on time and I will tell you what happens. There has been such a volume increase in taxis that a driver will tag a fare in the hopes he will get there in time, even when he is a distance away. Then, the traffic eats him up.

I figure the taxi drivers don't exactly make a killing anyway. They have to rent their taxis for $92 per day ($121 for a Mercedes). Then, the spend about $30 per day on petrol. That's $122 they must pay everyday before they make a profit.

They average about $14 per hour in fares... more in peak, much less in off peak... so they must work 9 to 10 hours just to make the taxi payment... after that, they earn money for themselves.

So, I don't stiff a driver even when he is wrong. I may tell him he is wrong and to get his act together but that is about all. Even those who fill in the back of the bell curve have to earn a living.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 9:12 pm

um, all good info but just wanted to know the rule or law here - do you still have to pay the booking fee?

Since I live and work in the city I don't have the same options. Working at Suntec the walk to the MRT would be pointless as I live too far from the station and the walk is >10 min; I usually take the bus and taxis are for special occasions. Like when I'm bushed from work or am carrying one or two basses on my shoulders on my way to a gig or rehearsal.

On those special occasions I don't mind paying the premium. And I don't consider holding people to what they say they will deliver as stiffing, my point being that they stiff us by committing to fares they know they can't make in time, which is a problem when you are under a time constraint - if they can't make it in time another taxi might or you could make other arrangements. It's the principle, and, robs you of the choice.

On other occasions those 'other arrangements' for me are taking the bus, it's sometimes faster, sometimes the same amount of time, and always way cheaper.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:49 pm

EADG wrote:um, all good info but just wanted to know the rule or law here - do you still have to pay the booking fee?

Since I live and work in the city I don't have the same options. Working at Suntec the walk to the MRT would be pointless as I live too far from the station and the walk is >10 min; I usually take the bus and taxis are for special occasions. Like when I'm bushed from work or am carrying one or two basses on my shoulders on my way to a gig or rehearsal.

On those special occasions I don't mind paying the premium. And I don't consider holding people to what they say they will deliver as stiffing, my point being that they stiff us by committing to fares they know they can't make in time, which is a problem when you are under a time constraint - if they can't make it in time another taxi might or you could make other arrangements. It's the principle, and, robs you of the choice.

On other occasions those 'other arrangements' for me are taking the bus, it's sometimes faster, sometimes the same amount of time, and always way cheaper.
I have to admit that it really chaps my butt when I need to get to the airport and the guy shows late... puts pressure on my whole schedule. And, it chaps my butt to call a taxi to avoid a long line, only to get a 12 to 15 minute time that is then even longer because of the wait.

I have no idea if the booking fee is refundable by statutue or regulation. You could search lawnet to find out (for a $25 fee).

It's wrong that it happens... and so is the clown in the Mercedes who nearly rips the fender off my bike to save 2 nanoseconds of drive time. It just is what it is.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:41 pm

Speaking of the law, SE, how did the defamation threat turn out?

(sorry EADG for hijacking your thread for a while)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:23 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Speaking of the law, SE, how did the defamation threat turn out?

(sorry EADG for hijacking your thread for a while)
A costly lesson in Singapore law. I conclude that Singapore defamation law is really designed to curtail criticism of the incumbents... in whatever position that may be.

Now back to our regular programming.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 7:31 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:A costly lesson in Singapore law. I conclude that Singapore defamation law is really designed to curtail criticism of the incumbents... in whatever position that may be.
Sorry to hear.

zjules
Regular
Regular

Post by zjules » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 1:32 pm

i dont believe they earn an average $14 per hour. Ive just been moving apartment recently and called a cab a few times after work. $4 booking fee, $2 peak hour fee, $1 something else fee, $2.50 on the meter to start, so thats $9.50 before i even get in...

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 4:12 pm

zjules wrote:i dont believe they earn an average $14 per hour. Ive just been moving apartment recently and called a cab a few times after work. $4 booking fee, $2 peak hour fee, $1 something else fee, $2.50 on the meter to start, so thats $9.50 before i even get in...
Peak charges apply only at peak. You get minimum drive distance for your $2.50. Off peak, you flag a cab... you pay only $2.50.

Ask a taxi driver... ask a bunch... you'll get the same answer.

Then do a bit of searching around to see what a taxi driver brings home. Lucky at $3,000... $100 per day. Taxi is charged 7 days a week, 365 days a year... what do you think the average hourly rate is on a Sunday?