Singapore Expats Forum

NEXT SIA RECRUITMENT: 21st-22nd APRIL =)

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:00 pm

chai ching wrote:actually i do have this thinking same like you also. but what if i reach there, cant imagine what will happen to me if i get reject down immediately right in front of so many peoples for them to see me so embarrassing. dont you think so too? but i really do wish to go and have a try.

some of my friends advise me that no harm trying out. but one of them say must be really slim. if you are not slim, cant meet their criteria also. so thats whys i have never been to SIA walk in interview before.

only gone for Silkair, Qatar and Emirates. but yet these three are also not successful for me.


i think there's no harm trying out since you've got nitec cert! but you must be prepared for rejection, also.. when i went for the jan one, i've seen girls asked to leave because they haven't physically received their cert or they don't meet the requirements and all at.. like, at the door. they don't even give those girls a chance to enter the room.. but then again, you have N levels and nitec. like your friend said, no harm trying! :)

User avatar
zombofi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007
Location: Woop Woop

Postby zombofi » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:21 pm

chai ching wrote:actually i do have this thinking same like you also. but what if i reach there, cant imagine what will happen to me if i get reject down immediately right in front of so many peoples for them to see me so embarrassing. dont you think so too? but i really do wish to go and have a try.

some of my friends advise me that no harm trying out. but one of them say must be really slim. if you are not slim, cant meet their criteria also. so thats whys i have never been to SIA walk in interview before.

only gone for Silkair, Qatar and Emirates. but yet these three are also not successful for me.

zombofi wrote:
chai ching wrote:what their requirement is that i dont have an "O' level or a Diploma cert?

xmischax wrote:cheer up, chai ching! :) may i ask what requirement do you not meet?


Oh! But you can still give it a shot?


chai ching my dear. you gotta have more belief in yourself. I'm facing the same situation as you...or something like that aye. I mean i did my 'A' levels in Sydney and i checked with SIA if that's accepted and they said i need to get certification from my sch in Sydney that it is an 'A' level equivalent. So i emailed my sch and they directed me to the Board of Studies there.

Then i checked with the Board of Studies and they told me they can't do it. That MOE has to do it. And so i call MOE only to hear that they don't do such certifications and 'A' levels is just unique to Singapore. Quite myopic view but nvm................. it was quite frustrating :mad: but then i've decided what the heck, i know i finished my pre U there so i'm just going to go for it.

Also, about your weight worry...they do not want bones either. As long as you are of healthy BMI, i think it should be ok :wink: i don't fall into the slim category either haha.

and i also have a breakout issue to worry about atm.... I feel like i'm at war with time :cool:

BUT I'm not going to give up. Against all odds but nevertheless i'll never know till i try.

I have become a bit more 'hu hah!' when i recently was listening to this Westlife song "Flying Without Wings" where there are a few lines which go something like "So impossible as they may seem, you've got to fight for every dream cuz who's to know which one you let go would have made you complete". That was like Phwoar! to me..

Just my 2 cents worth 8-)

Actually i dont even know whether my post makes sense cuz i was just typing away....i think i may have jumped here and there. Woops :P

What i'm trying to say is Go For It!

I'll See You There :D

onee
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 30 Nov 2006

Postby onee » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:31 pm

yeah!
dungiveup. :D

anyway.
i heard ppl sayingthat having a dip in hospitality n tourism mgt or anything regardin tourism.. have an added advantage during e interview.

is that true? however, i know that, ultimately, its based on yr performance during e interview.

hope to hear yr reply soon!
=D

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:34 pm

zombofi! you nailed it! :D

you know, kym ng went through 10 inteviews to become a singapore girl!

don't give up! just go and do your thing! the rest will take care of itself :D

User avatar
zombofi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007
Location: Woop Woop

Postby zombofi » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:38 pm

thanks xmischax :oops:

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:42 pm

hehehe don't think so much girls! just go and give it a shot! like i always say.. you never know until you try! it might just be your lucky day! :D

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon, 06 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby chai ching » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:54 pm

thanks for your encouragement! thats true of what you say it here. but im still afriad of giving it a try.
i know that SIA walk in interview will be always a lot of crowds. but still cant face those peoples. just cant imagine what will happen to me.

i know that we only get to live once and if we dont cherish it and do whatever we like. we will regret it forever. though i know that it come every two months for holding a walk in interview. so how about you?
are you going to give it a try also?

xmischax wrote:hehehe don't think so much girls! just go and give it a shot! like i always say.. you never know until you try! it might just be your lucky day! :D

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon, 06 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby chai ching » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:56 pm

yup we all know that Kym Ng try for 10 times until the last 10 times she finally and manage to get in. Eight days magazine even advertise her in front cover page. she telling us about her flying experience and how she try and try until she make it finally


xmischax wrote:zombofi! you nailed it! :D

you know, kym ng went through 10 inteviews to become a singapore girl!

don't give up! just go and do your thing! the rest will take care of itself :D

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 3:58 pm

chai ching wrote:thanks for your encouragement! thats true of what you say it here. but im still afriad of giving it a try.
i know that SIA walk in interview will be always a lot of crowds. but still cant face those peoples. just cant imagine what will happen to me.

i know that we only get to live once and if we dont cherish it and do whatever we like. we will regret it forever. though i know that it come every two months for holding a walk in interview. so how about you?
are you going to give it a try also?

xmischax wrote:hehehe don't think so much girls! just go and give it a shot! like i always say.. you never know until you try! it might just be your lucky day! :D


true! when i tried for it in jan, it was like, a thousand over people! kinda scary how long the line is! don't worry about other people, it's about you! :D wanna go with us? hehe. that might soothe your nerves a little! you know, support is important!

yeapp, i hope my 2nd time this time is the charm! i have a different problem, the age problem! lol but whatever! i'm just gonna try! it's kinda fun, actually. lol

User avatar
zombofi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007
Location: Woop Woop

Postby zombofi » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 4:01 pm

xmischax you should be 18 right? Thats the age Intrinsic Dreamer is and she got in. So yea you should be able too ;)

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 4:20 pm

yeaa, but i'm born in 1989 you know!

i have o levels and 1.5years of customer service experience, starting college this july actually. i'm not really worried about qualifications but as you know.. weight, height and age is what i'm really thinking about!

:lol:

chai ching
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon, 06 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby chai ching » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 5:01 pm

before that, i actually have this thought of taking "O" level papers.
but my coleagues say that so long i never study already. dont think i can study again. hmm.... what do you think? i also do have this crazy thinking of just taking "O" level so that i can join in and try for SIA.

but i know that not because of wanting to join airline. when i go for other interview. still can be use for "O" level for other admin interviews.

fizus wrote:chai ching, are you planning to take your O's? my mum is taking her O's now :) its never too late to better yourself!

if you want to enter airline careers i guess O levels is the most basic. or you could try tiger airways or jetstar if you want, and gain some experience in this industry. all the best!

User avatar
zombofi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun, 28 Jan 2007
Location: Woop Woop

Postby zombofi » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 5:04 pm

chai ching wrote:before that, i actually have this thought of taking "O" level papers.
but my coleagues say that so long i never study already. dont think i can study again. hmm.... what do you think? i also do have this crazy thinking of just taking "O" level so that i can join in and try for SIA.

but i know that not because of wanting to join airline. when i go for other interview. still can be use for "O" level for other admin interviews.

fizus wrote:chai ching, are you planning to take your O's? my mum is taking her O's now :) its never too late to better yourself!

if you want to enter airline careers i guess O levels is the most basic. or you could try tiger airways or jetstar if you want, and gain some experience in this industry. all the best!



screw your colleagues... you determine the course of your life chai ching.

if you really want to, then please do go ahead and take your 'O's.

Please stay away from anyone who detracts you. They should be supporting not opposing aye :mad:

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 5:11 pm

yeahh man! SCREW YOUR COLLEAGUES! i mean, studying is good! for self improvement or more qualifications.. this is the first time i heard anyone encouraging someone NOT to further their studies! well maybe they meant it will be difficult to go back to school but nothing in life come easy, right! chai ching, just do what you feel is right! you just have to be accountable for yourself. :)

User avatar
xiangzhou_1984
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue, 06 Feb 2007

Postby xiangzhou_1984 » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 6:18 pm

You could get by pretty well even if you don't have your 'O' levels. It just means doing something different from what most Singaporeans are doing. But then again, having something to fall back on wouldn't be that bad at all. A couple of decades ago, a diploma would have been pretty sufficient. But that's not the case anymore. You would see some people without much education doing pretty well for themselves, not because they got lucky or anything, but it's just they have the mindset and strongest desire to succeed because they have no other alternative; that is to get a good enough paying job and feed their family.

We make choices eveyday, some minor, some major. Whatever it is, don't regret it. Tackle all the problems that come with your choice positively. It is much better than wallowing in self pity and thinking about the past. My girlfriend is going to join ethihat very soon, she's gonna be based there. I do not know if she's doing to be okay there, but one thing I do know is she made her choice, and she is happy. And that's all one could ask for, isn't it? :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests