Singapore Expats

Tax woes.....

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
pco27

Tax woes.....

Post by pco27 » Sat, 24 Mar 2007 9:27 am

The company i work for paid for airfare and accommodation in a hotel for the first 6 weeks before i found my own place, which they now also pay for!!! (sounds great eh...).

Now that it is "tax" time the company wants me to pay tax on the airfare, the hotel, and all the rent of the appartment!!!

I'm wondering if this is standard practice over here? seems a little over the top. Any advice would be appreciated or perhaps a good tax accountant you can refer.

cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Mar 2007 1:35 pm

The fact that you received something with monetary value not amounting to a gratuity/gift but directly attributable to the production of income for your employer would mean that it's taxable. Not sure where you come from but most countries would consider car allowances, housing allowances, airfares, home-leave payments as a form of income and therefore taxable. No they are not over the top. You just seem a bit naive and also failed to do your due diligence before accepting a overseas job assignment.

Don't feel bad however, you are not alone. Just have a read through these forums pages! :?

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/resour ... nefits.pdf
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AdamC
Regular
Regular

Post by AdamC » Sun, 25 Mar 2007 4:20 am

God bless

sleep well dude :D