Singapore Expats Forum

Don’t bring that virus to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

fun2sh

Don’t bring that virus to Singapore

Postby fun2sh » Thu, 26 Aug 2004 1:00 pm

Yesterday after long time I received an invitation from this friend
to visit this pub called Insomnia in Chijmes. The party was supposed
to start at 9p.m. but I reached there early, my friend and her group
were not there yet. I thought that I will just hang around and come
back later. When I came back at 9:20 my friends were already inside
and there was a long queue outside. Well, I waited for 25 mins. in
the queue. Meanwhile, I chatted with two guys who were in front of
me in the queue, Stefan and Marco from Germany!! Nice guys! They
have been in Singapore for a week now and have planned to visit KL
and Bangkok next. Meanwhile, the queue moved and my number came. I
was really shocked to know from the Caucasian guy at the door that
this is a special party and only members and regulars are allowed.

Then I asked him, "I have been here quite few times and I didn't see
you checking any membership cards or anything and there's nothing
written on the information board as well! It just says Women and
Men's Party on Wednesday."

His reply was, "I don't care I can't let you in!". I felt so bloody
insulted and knew exactly why he just can't let me in even I'm
paying cover. Although most of the people in the queue were
tourists, over 90 % of them were Caucasians.

I know this is very common in western countries. In fact, I faced
the same problem when I visited Frankfurt on a business trip. But I
was always so proud to tell that this will never happen in my
adopted home, Singapore. How proudly I used to tell this to those
visitors from Europe!
Couple of months back I remember similar thing happened to our
friends.It was a same place Insomnia. Let's come together and boycott this place Insomnia and end racism.

Cheers

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:25 pm

Err, I have to ask the obvious here: what race are you then?

(Although if you've never experience racism here, the answer must be "Chinese".)

nicole

Postby nicole » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:42 pm

Probably you should just write the management a letter to express your anger. I believe the owner is Singaporean who used to study in Perth. Go on, write them a letter! Kool down now girl!

LoisLane

False empathy

Postby LoisLane » Sun, 29 Aug 2004 5:04 pm

fun2sh, re yr post below:
you have NO idea what racism is! I suggest you go out of singapore and get first hand experience in another country where there are few chinese ,then you might understand how the non-chinese HERE feel. how many non-chinese friends do you have.. real friends.. not caucasian i mean? how many non-chinese, non ang moh acquaintances do you have? No need to answer here, just think about it in your own life.. think about who you mix with at work, who you sit next to, what goes through your mind when you see another non chinese/white person... what goes through your mind?

what were your first thoughts as a child when you were growing up, what did your parents teach you or tell you about the 'other' races here.. any little derogatory remarks made, any general sweeping statements about those races and their lifestyle?

Were you told not to go near them or play with them or maybe it was more subtle, like when you went to play with them they immediately called you back, "girr girr (sic), come here, don(sic) be naughty" and ping! immediately your brain said, dont mix with a non-chinese !

So, no need to reply to this post with any retorts, just have a think about it first, you know contemplate your navel and see what comes up.

I]Couple of months back I remember similar thing happened to our
friends.It was a same place Insomnia. Let's come together and boycott this place Insomnia and end racism. [/I]

kiss_snowhite

Postby kiss_snowhite » Tue, 31 Aug 2004 2:03 pm

Get a life, man!! There are many other places where you can enjoy yourself!
kisses..muacks!!

Global Citizen

ColourBlind

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 6:14 am

LoisLane wrote:fun2sh, re yr post below:
you have NO idea what racism is! I suggest you go out of singapore and get first hand experience in another country where there are few chinese ,then you might understand how the non-chinese HERE feel. how many non-chinese friends do you have.. real friends.. not caucasian i mean? how many non-chinese, non ang moh acquaintances do you have? No need to answer here, just think about it in your own life.. think about who you mix with at work, who you sit next to, what goes through your mind when you see another non chinese/white person... what goes through your mind?

what were your first thoughts as a child when you were growing up, what did your parents teach you or tell you about the 'other' races here.. any little derogatory remarks made, any general sweeping statements about those races and their lifestyle?

Were you told not to go near them or play with them or maybe it was more subtle, like when you went to play with them they immediately called you back, "girr girr (sic), come here, don(sic) be naughty" and ping! immediately your brain said, dont mix with a non-chinese !

So, no need to reply to this post with any retorts, just have a think about it first, you know contemplate your navel and see what comes up.

Yeah, Lois tell it like it really is! : :)

When I was growing up, I had to deal with asinine questions such as why my eyes are big or my nose pointed by a majority that never took the trouble to learn the differences that exist amongst us all or that being different is not a bad thing!! Funnily enough, it never occured to me to ask the same as I just accepted things for the way they were.

Very prevalent in the older Chinese generation but children learn what is taught and practised at home and the Chinese culture and history is teeming with tales of barbarians ie. any poor soul that lacks Mongoloid features (anthropology def.) and is non-Chinese. While this may explain away the ignorance of these older, ignorant fools, it doesn't excuse why these attitudes are still in existence today after years of living side by side.

While there many forms of racism , racism is what it is, make no mistake. Strangely enough, I've never experienced any form of racism living abroad and yes have always been a minority there too.

P.S. Fun2sh, now that the shoe is on the other foot, it doesn't feel too good does it? BTW, its quite common for most clubs abroad to do face checks before letting patrons in as it creates sort of a hype. Maybe Insomnia is doing the same) All this means is it doesn't hurt to be female and beautiful! :wink:

I leave you all with some words from the funky divas 'En Vogue' to ponder over....

Free Your Mind

Free your mind
And the rest will follow
Be color blind, don't be so shallow
Befor you can read me, you gotta learn how to see me....