Singapore Expats Forum

Wonder

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

juanlxndr

hello

Postby juanlxndr » Tue, 20 Mar 2007 1:35 am

hello everybody, can i ask something? i'm a foreigner in singapore looking for a job in manufacturing industry, i have the necessary experience as a supervisor or maintenance, i have had some interviews last week to mnc, i think that i am pretty much qualified for the position as a production supervisor, the only problem is that i cannot speak mandarin, after hearing that i was kind off confuse, why does company here in singapore accepts people that doenst know how to speak english since singapore is an english speaking country, please dont mind me asking since singapore is an open country right? but i said to the interviewee that i am currently learning mandarin though still a beginner , cause it is very hard to learn unless that you interact with them everyday right? i'm really excited working singapore whatever the position is, cause i feel that singapore in general is a very friendly and open country but i wasnt given the oppurtunity because i cannot speak mandarin
looking for tennis buddies

Justine128

Hi

Postby Justine128 » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 1:38 am

That is because many chinese people in this industry that you will potentially be supervising are from the poorer sector, and many of them converse in Mandarin or other chinese dialects, their knowledge of English is limited. If they are no kids and perhaps in their thirties and above, they could have dropped out of school and have not been in exposure to much English speaking environment. There are however many indians (and some malay and chinese folks) who though from the same background, can speak English. Try to look for a company that has indians etc, it is also a numbers game, the number of applications and interviews you go to as well, so just keep on going, I am certain you will land a job in a company that employs foreigners willing to do up your work permit if you don't already have one. If you don't have an employment passport, it could deter some companies from hiring, they may consider the work permit application a hassle at times.
Justine128

Return to “General Discussions”