Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for friends to go for musical concert

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
blueocean
Regular
Regular

Looking for friends to go for musical concert

Postby blueocean » Thu, 15 Mar 2007 9:16 am

Hi Morning,

Is anyone here interested on the Concert on 24th March 2007, next Saturday?

Details :

VENUE : Esplanade Concert Hall

Elgar Anniversary: Doubling Up (SSO)

The details http://www.sistic.com.sg/cms/events/index.html?content=184

There is a variety of seats to choose, from $16 onwards. Please let me know who is interested, we might be able to make a group booking.

Remarks:
If someone here has the OCBC Arts Card Holders or member of Friend of SSO, there will be a further discount.

Cheers
Joy

CEH

Postby CEH » Thu, 15 Mar 2007 3:51 pm

Yes, I'd like to go! I was intending to go anyway, I just haven't got round to booking a ticket yet. I can see that you are too new to be able to PM me (you have to have made 5 posts) so I will PM you with my contact details.

:D

blueocean
Regular
Regular

Postby blueocean » Thu, 15 Mar 2007 6:10 pm

Oh dear...

I didn't know all the restriction here. Yes, i've replied your msg.

And for those you are interested, you are welcome to email me.

Joy6ee@gmail.com

Cheers
Joy

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:54 am

hey girls (is it that a fair assumption 8-) ) I would love to join too, I haven't tried a concert here before, tried opera, ballet, dance, stage show, but not really a concert!! would love to try out, but is there a reason why you guys are thinking about this one in particular? any review on this?

I've also missed out all the mosaic shows this week, so disappointed...not free to check out tomorrow or sat night neither SIGH! :cry:

blueocean
Regular
Regular

Postby blueocean » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 9:17 am

Bonbon wrote:hey girls (is it that a fair assumption 8-) ) I would love to join too, I haven't tried a concert here before, tried opera, ballet, dance, stage show, but not really a concert!! would love to try out, but is there a reason why you guys are thinking about this one in particular? any review on this?

I've also missed out all the mosaic shows this week, so disappointed...not free to check out tomorrow or sat night neither SIGH! :cry:

Hi

There is no particular reason, I like musical instrument especially String instrument. I like vocal too.

For me, I attended a SSO concert before, very grand and sound prefect in the Esplanade Concert Hall. In fact, I like to close my eyes and enjoy to the music in the concert hall.

If you like to try this out, why not joinning us? Pls let me know by today or this weekend. I’ll book the ticket soon.

As for the seating section, you have your preference. If you prefer the seat nearer to the stage, of course the price will be different. Please check out the details on the website.

Else your guy can book the ticket online on your own and we will see you there. =)

If you are interested, Pls PM me, we can exchange the contact no.

[i]Remarks:
You no need to seat very close to the stage but in the average, any way musical concert is about “Listening”

CEH

Postby CEH » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 9:35 am

hey girls (is it that a fair assumption ) I would love to join too, I haven't tried a concert here before, tried opera, ballet, dance, stage show, but not really a concert!! would love to try out, but is there a reason why you guys are thinking about this one in particular? any review on this?

Like Blueocean I too have been to an SSO concert before, they are a good orchestra and I like the concert hall venue. Being a classical music fan ( I play the cello myself) I will consider going to any of their concerts but I particularly want to go to this one because the are playing music by some of my favourite composers, particularly Elgar and Britten. Actually this is probably a good concert to come to if you haven't heard much orchestral music before as it is all fairly accesible stuff, much easier to appreciate than Shostakovich of somebody like that.

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:17 pm

ahhaha guys on the contaray, I have, I used to play in an orchestra :) back in NZ . I play flute..and I'm an organist by teacher's degree.

I have been to quite a few in London.

and I do listen to classical at home, and of course at work 94.2, or 96.3

However, dont take it the wrong way, I've never been to an *Asian* orchestra before, not that I doubt on the quality, just never ever been to one played by Asians, AND in ASIA!

I shall let you know by midnight tonight, is that alright?

keith425
Regular
Regular

:P

Postby keith425 » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 1:15 pm

Elgar! So will they be playing Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 AKA the graduation song?

kidding :P

blueocean
Regular
Regular

Postby blueocean » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 1:47 pm

Bonbon wrote:ahhaha guys on the contaray, I have, I used to play in an orchestra :) back in NZ . I play flute..and I'm an organist by teacher's degree.

I have been to quite a few in London.

and I do listen to classical at home, and of course at work 94.2, or 96.3

However, dont take it the wrong way, I've never been to an *Asian* orchestra before, not that I doubt on the quality, just never ever been to one played by Asians, AND in ASIA!

I shall let you know by midnight tonight, is that alright?

sure no worry, i shall wait =)

prefer more ppl to join =)

CEH

Postby CEH » Fri, 16 Mar 2007 2:43 pm

[quote]I've never been to an *Asian* orchestra before, not that I doubt on the quality, just never ever been to one played by Asians, AND in ASIA!

-the interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to make any difference!Orchestras effectively just play what the composer wrote, bit of space for interpretation I suppose, but it is really the influences on the composer that matter most. At the last SSO concert that I went to they played a piece by a Chinese born composer living in the US. The music was in the western classical tradition and style but you could hear the chinese influence. Western-style classical musicians are steeped in western classical music, no matter their origin, -that's their influence.