Singapore Expats Forum

Your opinions wanted: Avenues to attract expat eyes

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
gracelynn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon, 02 Jan 2006

Postby gracelynn » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 8:16 pm

seasider wrote:grace you keep asking the same question about which magazines to target expats, which I have already answered. What do I know? I'm your target market. Middle-aged, overweight, fairly affluent expat wife.

I may be ancient and pre-internet but I waste half my life on it, however I never buy things I can't see and touch, clothing or otherwise, so I don't recommend online selling as your only outlet.

Why not sell at hotel fairs, beloved of the bored expat wife? Look up Singapore Fairs.


hehe, thanks for your input. hotel fairs...that's a new avenue..didn;t even cross my mind - thks for the contribution.

i do hold an open house at my place in sembawang, so if you would like to have a look at the items i have, just email me.

if i may ask, where do you get your clothes in Singapore since you do not buy online?

seasider
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon, 25 Oct 2004
Location: No longer in Geylang
Contact:

Postby seasider » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 8:28 pm

I'm Big by Singapore standards but borderline by western standards - size 14-16.

I shop for every day items at most of the UK brand shops - M&S, Top Shop, Warehouse, Dorothy Perkins, etc. Went in River Island the other day and will be going back there to try some things soon! Glad to have Gap in town for jeans.

For more special things, e.g., dresses, I tend to stock up when I visit the UK or Oz, although I now have a friend with a boutique on Club Street, where I have bought a few pieces off the rack and plan to get some more custom-made.

It's not just a problem being a bigger size here, but also tall - and at 1.7m I'm not THAT tall. Everything local seems to be in the wrong proportions - even at British India. I don't have big boobs but the darts on tops are always too high, for instance.

gracelynn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon, 02 Jan 2006

Postby gracelynn » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 9:26 pm

seasider wrote:I'm Big by Singapore standards but borderline by western standards - size 14-16.

I shop for every day items at most of the UK brand shops - M&S, Top Shop, Warehouse, Dorothy Perkins, etc. Went in River Island the other day and will be going back there to try some things soon! Glad to have Gap in town for jeans.

For more special things, e.g., dresses, I tend to stock up when I visit the UK or Oz, although I now have a friend with a boutique on Club Street, where I have bought a few pieces off the rack and plan to get some more custom-made.

It's not just a problem being a bigger size here, but also tall - and at 1.7m I'm not THAT tall. Everything local seems to be in the wrong proportions - even at British India. I don't have big boobs but the darts on tops are always too high, for instance.


i'm a plus size myself, so i understand where you are coming from. At least you are still able to fit into topshop & warehouse - those are so totally out for me. I'm a UK18, which is like a US14 and i'm 1.6m 'short'. pants at M&S just don't fit cause of the rise, not to mention the length which can be quite easily fixed!

one other brand you can try is The Station which is available at robinsons centrepoint. They do have reasonably priced (less than S$80) bigger cutting tops and pants. you can also try embre also at robinsons centre point.

I'm bringing in apparel from the US at very affordable prices - mostly casuals from S$32 onwards for tops and S$45 onwards for casual dresses and S$70 onwards for more formal ones. Size max out at 3X, which is UK22, though some cuttings can fit larger.

just google maximumappealonline (one word)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon, 25 Oct 2004
Location: No longer in Geylang
Contact:

Postby seasider » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks, yeah those brands have just recently been of use to me as I have lost 10kg, so I do understand your plight!

Oh I forgot about Principles and Coast at Robinsons, too. Joan Allen, Liz Clairborne and another one I can't remember do bigger sizes but I don't like their clothes. There is also a boutique in Tanglin Mall but their clothes are a bit weird and hippyish.

I'll take a look at your link. :)

gracelynn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon, 02 Jan 2006

Postby gracelynn » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 9:37 pm

seasider wrote:Thanks, yeah those brands have just recently been of use to me as I have lost 10kg, so I do understand your plight!

Oh I forgot about Principles and Coast at Robinsons, too. Joan Allen, Liz Clairborne and another one I can't remember do bigger sizes but I don't like their clothes. There is also a boutique in Tanglin Mall but their clothes are a bit weird and hippyish.

I'll take a look at your link. :)


thanks for looking. it would be lovely to hear what you have to say about my product line so far.

FastCashh
Regular
Regular
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue, 06 Mar 2007

.

Postby FastCashh » Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:46 pm

webpage advertising is cheap and easy to maintain but u need good knowledge to be in SEO top few.
anyone heard or used contexual advertising online before?
i would reccommended putting up advertising in green book yellow book, etc .leaflets , namecards, sourcing for potential. forums chatrms advertising, referral programs, newspaper [/img]

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: .

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:23 am

FastCashh wrote:webpage advertising is cheap and easy to maintain but u need good knowledge to be in SEO top few.
anyone heard or used contexual advertising online before?
i would reccommended putting up advertising in green book yellow book, etc .leaflets , namecards, sourcing for potential. forums chatrms advertising, referral programs, newspaper [/img]


I would advise against doing this unless it is allowed by the admins of the forum/chatrooms. Otherwise you risk getting unceremoniously booted out. Just like on this board. We provide a free classifieds section for usage but do not allow advertising in the forum threads directly. You can, however, talk to admins about purchasing advertising space on the forum in the way of banner advertisements.

sgsearch
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 28 Mar 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby sgsearch » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 6:02 pm

In my opinion there are many ways to advertise your products starting from this forum in the advertising section.
to advertsie on the web, you need to have a website, so you can submit it to the serach engine like google, msn, yahoo....
and also you ahve to submit your website to Directories online, because the serach engines target the directory often as a sources.
Also you have to invest some money to advertise with google adword program, this is the effecient ad program On Internet.

the above is online advertisement
Off line advertisement you can contact the strait times paper, today... they have offers to advertise with them.
here you can learn about advertsiement and more things www.1scroll.net


Good Luck

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Postby Winxkid » Wed, 11 Apr 2007 6:20 am

its a slow growth business


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests