Singapore Expats Forum

Earthquake?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sinvan

Postby Sinvan » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 6:07 pm

I wonder if there are any seismic standards for buildings here and any training for kids at school to prepare them for an earthquake?
Actually, I did not see any instructions about an emergency procedure in my condo building ether ....
Life is wonderful, but amusing

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 1:43 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Good point SE. It'll take a proper event to get them to wake up.
No common sense whatsoever. Can you imagine suntect falling over on them !!!! Then it'll be "nobody told us to move away"
Evacuate a buidling means it's a danger right ( fire. bomb, earthquake) what part of your brain figures it's OK to stand next to the danger doh!!!!

I just thought Philip Morris were giving out free smokes at the smoking area :D Haven't seen that many people on one spot since the FREE Hello Kitty incident :shock:

Actually my point long ago, very short sighted, and it will take a catastrophe before anyone wakes up, and i guess even then, they will have to employ foreign talent, to look into the future! Does that mean i'm eligible for an EP :lol: :cool:

When people do courses in safety, it does actually help to see things from a different point of view.

You wouldn't believe that a slight scratch on the rotor blades of a helicopter, could be enough to ground it, just listening to a motor running, was enough, to bring it to a standstill. Safety is very important, and i've yet to feel comfortable, in some of these buildings. In Taiwan even in the very old apartment blocks there are firefighting equipment on staircases!

Although I have had quite enough of earthquakes in my time, I'd rather do without, My worst was in Athens when the building crached around me, it was a miracle nobody was hurt, if you've ever been surfing, you know what i mean, keeping your balance! By the way, just out of curiosity are all building built to earthquake standards here?

It does appear that quakes could be susceptible to hit hard sometime in the future in Singapore.

Sinvan

Postby Sinvan » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 4:47 pm

Hey ksl,
I think the building standards is the bigest secret here :-)
Nobody is answering my and yours question. :-) What if the answer will be too disappointed?
Life is wonderful, but amusing

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 6:07 pm

Sinvan wrote:Hey ksl,
I think the building standards is the bigest secret here :-)
Nobody is answering my and yours question. :-) What if the answer will be too disappointed?

Well not much that one can do about it really, just be cautious, although I am quite confident that new buildings will hold up quite well to a shockwave of 6 .5 for a good minute, old building will not, they will start crumbling at 5.5 to 6 and will probably not be standing very long at 6.5.

Although it obviously depends on many factors, like distance from the epicenter and all that, with Singapore being so far from the epicenter, the actual shock will fizzle down to a 4 to 6. if it's an 8, i would think.

Singapore is relatively safe, although if the worst comes to the worst, suicide maybe an option, then getting trapped under all the rubble, I hate closed in spaces :lol: But do not follow the mass hysteria! That would be a certain disaster for being trampled to death.