Singapore Expats Forum

Choice between Koh Samui and Krabi?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
autumn_colors

Choice between Koh Samui and Krabi?

Postby autumn_colors » Sun, 04 Mar 2007 8:04 pm

If I had a choice of a beach holiday, which one should I go for?
To Koh Samui or Krabi?

MangoCar
Regular
Regular

Postby MangoCar » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 9:45 am

Dont like Krabi, went but not impressed. Always love Phuket, went twice and enjoyed twice. Next stop I want to try is exactly Koh Samui.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 3:42 pm

I didn't like Koh Samui very much. Of all the Thai islands and beach holidays I've had, that was the most unsatisfactory.

Prefer Phuket, Koh Lanta, Coral Island and hopefully Railay, because that's where I'm off to in a few weeks :)

Which bit of Krabi are you hoping to go to autumn? What didn't you like about Krabi Mangocar?

(it is always interesting to get other peoples opinions of these places - this could be a good discussion).

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 4:39 pm

Haven't been to Krabi - yet - but went to Koh Samui about 18 months ago and had a good time, however made sure we were off the main strip as it seems a bit tacky. Even had timeshare type people hassling us - thought I was back in 1980s Tenerife. :roll:

We stayed in Bophut at the Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa - lovely little place. Hired a jeep to get around the island but often just walked into the village to eat.

MangoCar
Regular
Regular

Postby MangoCar » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:32 pm

Loops wrote:What didn't you like about Krabi Mangocar?

went there in march 06, weather sucked, rained, water was not clean, fish were lazy, felt grey, but phuket, sunshine, white beaches, colorful fish...seems always. i love lively night markets in phuket too but didnt find similar impression in krabi. however, dived into massage every night there, cheap but nice.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:37 pm

where did you stay? We're going to Ton Sai Beach near Railay - I hope the weather is a bit better than when you went, it sounds grim.

My favourite trips were to:

Koh Lanta in 04, lovely beaches, bungalow/chalet accommodation everywhere (no big hotels) and not very well known at the time (it is probably a bit busier there now)

Phuket in March 05 - stayed at a place right in the south called Baan Krating which was stilted bungalows, very off the beaten path, near Nai Harn beach.

and Coral Island which was last year and very nice place to stay if you don't want to do anything apart from laze around.

I think the main thing I didn't like about Samui was that it was a bit seedy. The big beach town (is it Chaweng?) was dodgy, even in the daytime. Strangely enough, even Patong seems better! Beach access was a bit of a joke (they could learn from Phuket on that one), and the beaches weren't very clean. The water wasn't clear either, although it was high season. I don't think I'd ever bother going back there.