Singapore Expats Forum

someone help

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Kristii
Regular
Regular

someone help

Postby Kristii » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 2:32 pm

:???:
Ok so ive just moved here from Australia- my partners working over here.. and i keep seeing job ads that you need "n level" or "o level" etc.. can someone please explain what that means?

Thanks!! 8-)
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....
I seem to be getting more "sunburnt" here then i did back home lol!

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Re: someone help

Postby hei guess what » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 3:27 pm

Kristii wrote:"o level"

refers to the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level Examination taken at the end of the 4th year of secondary education.

http://www.seab.gov.sg/

N = Normal level

A = Advanced level (6th form)

puneet
Regular
Regular

Postby puneet » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 3:28 pm

lol , O level is like wen u complete secondary school here , its called O level and N level is basically completing certificate courses , if u havea degree look at somethin higher , as these O level and N level jobs dont pay that much , they are basic jobs that kids will straigh outta school or outta army will go for , but if u jus wanna keep urself occupied then no harm doing it

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 6:14 pm

OK kool thanks for the reply's... so if i have my school certificate - year 10 and a diploma - wat level would that be?? lol im so sorry for my ignorance lol :-|
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:23 pm

Year 10 would be the equivalent to the "O" levels. Year 12 (like the US system is equal to "A" levels. "N" levels and a buck will get you a cup of coffee and that's about it. I would guess that your diploma is granted at completion of year 10. If so, then it would be recognized as "O" level equivalent.

If you are from a non-traditional source, you may have a problem with only having an "O" level educational diploma here. Unless, that is, you have generous amounts of experience in a highly desirable specialty where there are not sufficient local with the knowledge or expertise.

Good Luck in your quest however.

sms

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Tue, 27 Feb 2007 9:43 am

My diploma is a college diploma in Business admin with a high destinction in legal studies... i just wasnt sure wat that would be? So you think that diploma would be equivalent to my year 10 ????? omg!! i shouldnt have spent all that money on college fees if thats all it was gonna get me! lol!

thanks anyway! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:12 pm

Without sufficient data from the asker, it's rather difficult to give accurate answers. :wink:

In the US a 12 year completion of High School is called a diploma as well.

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Tue, 27 Feb 2007 9:47 pm

haha i know i know sorry! :?

thanks for the info tho!! 8-)