Singapore Expats Forum

Chewing gum in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 5:41 pm

Plavt wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:It's a nasty, unhygenic and filthy habit . . . allow the state to help you kick it!

Agreed wholeheartedly, as for it being a 'funny law' I am not sure. I remember reading somewhere the reason the government banned it was the yobs that live in Singapore were sticking it on the doors of the metro trains causing serivice delays and presumably other places.

Chewing gum was banned along with spitting, littering (used tissues) and such to improve sanitation at a time when TB was a problem. It's OK with me... no gum stuck under the restaurant tables to stick to my knee... or on the street to stick to my shoe.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: ...

Postby EADG » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 5:56 pm

getting carded for gum? hilarious

is there like an age limit, or consumption limit, or some other reason to have yet another venue to provide personal information to places it shouldn't be?

ringo100 wrote:You can buy chewing gum in loads of stores in Singapore - Watson’s, Guardian, any dentist, some multi-purpose clinics etc.

In Watson’s/Guardian you just need to ask at the chemist counter and show your ID.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 1:00 am

EADG wrote:getting carded for gum? hilarious

is there like an age limit, or consumption limit, or some other reason to have yet another venue to provide personal information to places it shouldn't be?

ringo100 wrote:You can buy chewing gum in loads of stores in Singapore - Watson’s, Guardian, any dentist, some multi-purpose clinics etc.

In Watson’s/Guardian you just need to ask at the chemist counter and show your ID.

Personally I'm all for it, fine the farm animals, its a disgusting habit to spit it out on the street. I was horrified and angry, when i found a Pigeon that was subjected to a glue trap, although much worse than chewing gum, once its on your shoes and all sticky its a pain to get off!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 9:39 pm

well, as with cigarettes, which I dislike intensely, I don't think they should be outlawed (perpetuates social Darwinism) but I often give the hairy eyeball to those who throw butts out car windows or on the ground

last thing this place needs is more rules

ksl wrote:
EADG wrote:getting carded for gum? hilarious

Personally I'm all for it, fine the farm animals, its a disgusting habit to spit it out on the street. I was horrified and angry, when i found a Pigeon that was subjected to a glue trap, although much worse than chewing gum, once its on your shoes and all sticky its a pain to get off!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

simonL

Postby simonL » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 2:33 am

I remembered people were sticking the gums onto walls and grounds at public places. after a while, the gums harden and it was extremely difficult for the cleaners to remove. it became very unsightly and hence it was banned maybe?

ringo100100

Postby ringo100100 » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 1:09 pm

It's not banned. It is restricted. You won't get fined for having chewing gum and it is sold certain shops here.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 2:27 pm

So, do mentos come in longer chewing, sugarless varieties? :D

But yes, I would have preferred if gum and cigs switched places.

txbrown

Postby txbrown » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 3:08 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
jamesjo wrote:i hate its. :mad:

I find its to be quite tasty with a béchamel sauce.

Chewing gum, on the other hand is a filthy habit. (Habits are slaves of Hobits, WIMH)

(Bugger this new laptop with its awful keyboard!)

No, smoking is a filthy habit. I see nothing filthy about someone trying to freshen their breath.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 5:48 pm

healthwise, no doubt. but cigarette butts are easy to sweep away, whereas gum takes a lot more effort to scrape off...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:37 am

txbrown wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
jamesjo wrote:i hate its. :mad:

I find its to be quite tasty with a béchamel sauce.

Chewing gum, on the other hand is a filthy habit. (Habits are slaves of Hobits, WIMH)

(Bugger this new laptop with its awful keyboard!)

No, smoking is a filthy habit. I see nothing filthy about someone trying to freshen their breath.

Yes, smoking is a filthy habit.

Chewing gum is a filthy habit. It's not just how awful it looks when people are masticating endlessly . . . it's what they do with the gum after they've relieved it of its flavour

'nuff said Image

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:53 pm

actually at first I feel kinda weird

when I was a kid I used to chew .I like chewing gum

but problem is some people are dam irresponsible.
Anyhow split and stick at lift buttons

I do happen to step on used chewing gum on the floor.

dam disgusting.

actually you still can legal to chew gum in sg.

the gum is for tooth but funny part you have to write your name on a form while you buy the gum .

kiven78

Postby kiven78 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 7:42 pm

indeed chewing gums has more cons than pros,all we get are vandalized public properties and great inconveniences to all those who come in contact with poorly disposed gums.Kudos to those who make it disappear in our SG =)
'I rather fail the world than allow anyone to fail me'