Singapore Expats Forum

Chewing gum in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sfho

Chewing gum in Singapore

Postby sfho » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 3:32 pm

:???:

Does Singapore really bands chewing gum?? I am from HK and I LOVE chewing gum...is it really that straight in Singapore that if you are caught, they are going to hit u in ur butt??

Thanks

sfho

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Chewing gum???

Postby saint73 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 5:04 pm

sfho wrote::???:

Does Singapore really bands chewing gum?? I am from HK and I LOVE chewing gum...is it really that straight in Singapore that if you are caught, they are going to hit u in ur butt??

Thanks

sfho

:D Singapore had banned for chewing gum for long ago...
:D NOt hitting the butt but for fine $$$$$$5k :wink: :wink:

Everyone can do anythngs as long u din get caught.... :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks

sfho

There is no ban on chewing gum anymore, that we were told by customs, although you should double check, there is a ban on selling it however, which is not the same. We have ours sent from Taiwan.

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 6:45 pm

ksl wrote:

Thanks

sfho

There is no ban on chewing gum anymore, that we were told by customs, although you should double check, there is a ban on selling it however, which is not the same. We have ours sent from Taiwan.

I thk you can buy chewing gum a few nt dozen of gum or custom suspect you importing...for nt personal usage... :)

:P Singapore banned chewing gum in 1992, saying discarded wads were littering its streets, its buildings and its public transit systems.

The penalty for smuggling illicit chewing gum, or even buying it by mail-order catalogue, is up to a year in jail plus a fine of about $7,800.

The chewing gum ban in Singapore was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004, chewing gum of therapeutic value has been allowed into Singapore following the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (USS-FTA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gu ... _Singapore

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 7:46 pm

It's available at some dentists' offices - that's where I get mine.

sfho

Postby sfho » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:06 pm

so my question is....will I be fined for buying, storing and chewing??? hehheeee

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:47 pm

Buying, storing and chewing - NO. Spitting out, sticking or throwing down anywhere other than a trash bin, preferable wrapped - possibly!

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:00 pm

well thought all the posts above have answered your question :???:

you can't buy here in Singapore anyway. you can buy anywhere else and bring it back to Singapore, as long it's for personal consumption, and make sure you dont bring lots lots of course....

And if you do chew, I chew while shoppeing I dont see police stop me saying it's illegal?

and of course after chewing, you respect the rules, just be prudent not spitting it out everywhere etc...

? not that hard right? :-|

sfho

Postby sfho » Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:37 am

well...thx...

how about if i tell my family to mail me chewing gum from Hong Kong from time to time?? am I against the rules or laws for doing so???

btw, as you can see....I am really desperate about chewing gum....hahhahaaa

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:05 pm

You can buy chewing gum in loads of stores in Singapore - Watson’s, Guardian, any dentist, some multi-purpose clinics etc.

In Watson’s/Guardian you just need to ask at the chemist counter and show your ID. They have a good selection as well, Wrigley's etc.

It is a myth that it is banned. It is only restricted. The same way a pub requires a license to sell alcohol, a shop needs a license to sell chewing gum. Chemists/dentists get the license by demonstrating a health benefit to the user.

tuk boy
Regular
Regular

Postby tuk boy » Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:16 am

ban ban ban, fine fine fine, welcome to singapore :D

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 4:17 pm

It's a nasty, unhygenic and filthy habit . . . allow the state to help you kick it!

'nuff said Image

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 4:21 pm

Vaucluse - unless it nicotine-supplement gum, which helps some of us other people with filthy habits (mine is just smoking!). Your habits, on the other hand...well, best not go there :P Nice to see you back on the forum and in form. Cheers, P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 9:05 pm

Bonbon wrote:well thought all the posts above have answered your question :???:

you can't buy here in Singapore anyway. you can buy anywhere else and bring it back to Singapore, as long it's for personal consumption, and make sure you dont bring lots lots of course....

And if you do chew, I chew while shoppeing I dont see police stop me saying it's illegal?

and of course after chewing, you respect the rules, just be prudent not spitting it out everywhere etc...

? not that hard right? :-|

No the above posts didn't quite get it right. Yours is the first that has. The police came to my workplace when I first arrived here in 2007 and explained all sorts of things to new staff- including the fact that chewing gum can be brought in for your personal use only. As an avid 'chewer' I asked them how much is 'personal use'. They weren't really able to answer other than if it's for your personal use then it's fine.
Suffering frequently from sinus troubles as I do, I LIVE on Airways Chewing gum. It really helps me breathe freely and I always bring a few packs of 4 back each time I go home to Oz. I'm very pleased though that it can't be bought here. People can't be trusted generally to do the right thing regarding the disposal of chewing gum. A small place like Sg would suffer terribly with so many people living here. Airwaves chewing gum can't be bought at pharmacies here.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 9:46 pm

SFHO,

You can bring in gum for personal use. If you bring a lot, think about opening the cartons before you pack them so it's obvious that you're not trying to sell them, since sellers prefer to leave the packaging intact.