Singapore Expats Forum

depressed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tilo

depressed

Postby tilo » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 6:31 pm

i recently have bee fired from my job...i feel really low about myself. it was a conspiracy between my boss and a another boss...they feel im a threat in the company..as there was a collegue who was caught dealing with illegal things in the company..and was reported by me to my boss...my boss was not happy as got scolding from senior mgmt...after this my life was miserable..they were finding faults with me..i decided to look for another job and took an emergency leave for a job interview..they fired as i lied on the leave...they even blacklisted me...i was shamed in front of all my collegue....

after i left i saw the satisfied faces of my boss...i cried all day....till this day im feeling miserable...wish i never worked there worked with such horrible people...i was a good performer until being too honest landed me in misery...

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:52 am

congratulations, welcome to the rest of the world, you would not be the first person to have an unsettling job experience, you're in good company

you need to learn that there are more important things than all that, and that the next job should be better

dust yourself off, walk away, and get back on your horse, and don't dwell on it - it sucks, but looking forward is the only way

a few mixed metaphors there but I'm sure you get what I mean

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:48 pm

Jerks are every where, you will adapt to them. What is important is your well being, maintain your integrity at all costs, and be proud of it! Jobs come and go these days, get used to the changing environment, gain more flexible skills, that will enure your employment chances.

Work is work, not enjoyment, you go there get paid and go home. Keep it that way, unless it's a hobby.

Rule 1. Think about yourself, before others!
Rule 2. Life is for living and not working
Rule 3. Don't undervalue your abilities and character
Rule 4. We are born to die, so enjoy life the best you can, and be thankful for the chances you have, many never even get the opportunity, in this world. Take a yardstick and put the poorest at one end, and the wealthiest at the other, then consider, how lucky you are, to be where you are.

Wealth is not important, surviving is!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 1:30 pm

ksl wrote:Work is work, not enjoyment, you go there get paid and go home. Keep it that way, unless it's a hobby.

Wealth is not important, surviving is!

Afraid I have to disagree with you on this one.

This is the problem with 99.99% of all people. They accept that your premise is correct.

In 1977 I gave of a "JOB" (well respected one at that - which provided me with sufficient money and position in the community). I was 29 years old and the District Director in Washington DC of the largest tax preparation firm in America. I resigned on my birthday to do just that. I took my hobby and made it a well paying job (what I used to pay to do I now got paid to do it! :cool: ) That "non-JOB" took me all over the world. Again, before I had to pay to go places not paid to go. It's also how I ended up in SE Asia 25 years ago.

What was that hobby turned subsistence provider. My Avatar says it all. Most people are afraid to take that step off the abyss into the unknown. Having said that, most people who are into charitable works/organizations already know what I'm talking about (as well you should ksl seeing you did charitable work with asylum seekers in the past also). Most of these people left the corporate world to do jobs that gave them something much, much more valuable than money. Personal Satisfaction & personal integrity are the two most important things in the world.

Otherwise I have to agree with the sentiments of both EADG and ksl. Pick yourself up and get back on the horse! Otherwise you'll never ride again.

sms

Strong Eagle

Re: depressed

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 4:24 pm

tilo wrote:i recently have bee fired from my job...i feel really low about myself. it was a conspiracy between my boss and a another boss...they feel im a threat in the company..as there was a collegue who was caught dealing with illegal things in the company..and was reported by me to my boss...my boss was not happy as got scolding from senior mgmt...after this my life was miserable..they were finding faults with me..i decided to look for another job and took an emergency leave for a job interview..they fired as i lied on the leave...they even blacklisted me...i was shamed in front of all my collegue....

after i left i saw the satisfied faces of my boss...i cried all day....till this day im feeling miserable...wish i never worked there worked with such horrible people...i was a good performer until being too honest landed me in misery...

a) Don't take it personally. They would have done it to anybody.

b) There are people without ethics, morals, or scruples in every walk of life. They are an unfortunate fact of life. When you are screwed you are screwed. It has nothing to do with you or your actions. They are scum, plain and simple, and too often it is the good guy that gets screwed when dealing with scum.

c) Be proud of yourself. You did the right thing. Celebrate your sense of ethics and right from wrong. Rather than feeling depressed consider that what and who they are is now out in the open. Don't you feel better that you are not like them?

d) Did they do anything about the illegality? If not, report them. And if they are blackballing you, threaten them with a defamation lawsuit and if they laugh at you, do it. Through personal experience I have learned that the plantiff holds all the cards in a defamation lawsuit.

You sound like the kind of person many companies would like to have on board. Consider this as an opportunity and a lesson, not a loss.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 7:11 pm

tilo, the other posters are right. you did the right thing. sure, you lost a job, but your bosses lost a lot more than that. you're the one who comes out better and stronger, so take heart.

my friends runs an executive search firm - can't promise anything but you could email him and be in the database when suitable jobs come up. PM me if you want more details.

Sunnygal

Postby Sunnygal » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 7:41 pm

Hi thr Tilo...
Pls dnt feel sad abt this situation... Thr are so many other things out there to do. I totally understand wht u must b gng thru!

But the whole event was not more important than ur life, smile, health and happiness...
In future days u will get something else. But for now i think u have to take the oppurtunity to go out and meet ppl and soon start looking for a new job to keep u busy again!!!

:-)
Dnt worry we all are here to give u loads of company!

Regards
Sunnygal

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 8:46 pm

Take heart from the posters above tilo since they are likely in a better position to understand. That said I have been in similar situations which make me so angry there are times when I could blow a few fuses, since that's the way they treated you they cleary weren't worth working for in the first place.

tilo

tq

Postby tilo » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 8:04 pm

tq everybody for those comforting words...im ok now...feel much better..it scary coz i never taught in my life i will be fired...wind in my hair tq you so much for ure offer but i have an offer for a job now..cant believe such people exist in a multinational...i have written a letter to my senior boss and he is a nice person and understanding...he was not aware of this as he was overseas and these people took this opportunity to bring me down...god will deal with them...

Victor_rs

Postby Victor_rs » Wed, 28 Feb 2007 7:03 pm

The void is a chance to Face the beast fAce to faCe. Being afraid of feeling the animal inside you is human. Cry and anger is part of you as dead is part of life.

I’m sure that everybody here will support you in your suffering but it may not help to reborn in a rotten world. Not everybody would like to ride again in the same way. Maybe the solution is to kill the horse and walk under two legs.

I’m one that thinks that being optimistic is not the only way. Even more, it can be dangerous. I suggest getting angry and finding a way to develop your frustration in a free way. Psychological counsel, meditation, kill your boss in your dreams, run away. After all you probably won’t have your job back but you can see the world from another perspective. Thinking in a logic way, who won’t sacrifice a colleague to be safe?, The misery of human being is the reality that scares, the idea that your good values are a weapon against your security.

Losing a job is a terrible thing, but trying to be a good fellow after being terrorised can be overwhelming.

I’m asking myself many questions:

If I were in your place what should I do? To be honest imply a risk of going against corrupt interest of people over me. To be dishonest can be safer but can drive you crazy.

If I were into your colleagues place what should I do? To scarify the honest one when dishonesty is easier in a company “it’s maybe not that bad”