Singapore Expats Forum

Any Londoners/English here in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Any Londoners/English here in Singapore

Postby HunBunny80 » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 4:05 am

Hi everyone.
Just wondering how many people here are from London/UK?
I'm moving to Singapore soon and I think I will miss the English sense of humour. It would be nice to talk to people from home.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 9:48 am

LOL how much research have you done about expat life in Singapore? There are many, many of us, although not all from London. Tons of Aussies and Kiwis too, with whom I've found we Brits unsurprisingly share a sense of humour.

You'll be fine.

2die4
Regular
Regular

Postby 2die4 » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 5:06 pm

hahaha! how many, you asked? A LOT! you won't find any difficulty locating them... especially here... they're all up and about... :wink:

Welcome in advance!
"Quod me nutruit, me destruit..."

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Any Londoners/English here in Singapore

Postby Rich D » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 8:41 pm

HunBunny80 wrote:Hi everyone.
Just wondering how many people here are from London/UK?
I'm moving to Singapore soon and I think I will miss the English sense of humour. It would be nice to talk to people from home.

This is a local forum for local people - there's nothing for you here!!! Do you like the League of Gentlemen?

However, if you like a tin barf then I'm sure you'll find a few chinas although you'll have to put up with a few septics.

Get the picture?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

newboy123

Postby newboy123 » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 2:14 pm

i left snow bound london a couple of weeks ago and believe me you'll be fine; loads of expats, really friendly locals, though as you feared humour totally lost on them and sarcasm is just met with a blank face... it's great fun here though

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 8:24 pm

Cheers newboy123.
Mind if I ask whereabouts Singapore are you living at the moment?

newboy123

Postby newboy123 » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:53 pm

I've just moved to Club Street; the Emerald Gardens after going insane in a hotel for 3 weeks, but am in the process of finding an apartment...

yourself?

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:33 am

I'm still stuck in london. Hopefully be there by June.
I was thinking of an area to live to but I have to sort out an aprtment before getting there.
Let me know if you have any tips. I like to live within youngish expats and local crowds (late 20 to early 40s).
Whereabouts were you thinking of looking?

newboy123

Postby newboy123 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:17 pm

i've asked all over the place and have recieved a variety of responses. To be honest the centre of singapore is so small you can live anywhere and you still won't feel as though it's a hassle to get to see people. Holland village is quite busy with expats, the east coast has the sea and the feeling of being away from the office but the centre/river valley/orchard has everything on your doorstep but is a little more pricey. Wherever you live taxis are dirt cheap, the tube is fast, cheap and efficient so i reckon just find an apartment you like and not worry too much about location.

Rich

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hei guess what » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:23 pm

newboy123 wrote:just find an apartment you like and not worry too much about location.

Or you could find a place
(a) within walking distance to the office
(b) within staggering distance from the local pub
(c) both the above :mrgreen: :P [-X

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:25 pm

I met someone from England here the other day. I was shocked. thot they only stopped here on a bathroom break on their way to austraila. sad to say helooked like he was about to burst into flames as it was sunny out.
:cool:

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:44 pm

If I was young free and single (which I'm not.........not even one of those :wink: ), I'd want to live somewhere like newboy has moved to (Emerald Garden) - it is pretty much right in the middle of things.

But there are loads of places around there which would be good. River Valley area seems a good location. You can walk to Clarke/Boat Quay and Orchard really easily, plus there are buses for when you first get here and look and I semi-quote huggybear here "like you're about to burst into flames every time the sun comes out" :twisted:

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 9:19 pm

LOL. Well, I'll take your advice into consideration.
I am looking for 3 bedroom apartment, dont mind the 3rd room being a study but budget is $3000 to $3500. Facilities are important. It must have a decent pool and gym.
I think I will fly to SG to look at some developments next month or so.

Regards,
Jacqueline

newboy123

Postby newboy123 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:50 pm

seems like i sparked a bit of debate there anyway... i reckon 3 bed with that budget you might be limited right in the centre but anywhere outside you'll be able to pick and choose

i'm sure i'm about to be shot down.... bring it on you lot

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 5:59 am

I realised I don't have many options in city centre so I am looking around East Coast area. Someone suggested Tanglin.