Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
henrycameron

Re: RE: Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by henrycameron » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 3:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
henrycameron wrote:Is there any vacancy for driver in Travel Agency?
Are you a Singaporean ? If not what passport / pass do you have in Singapore?
I am not a Singaporean. I have Employment pass.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 10:17 pm

henrycameron wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
henrycameron wrote:Is there any vacancy for driver in Travel Agency?
Are you a Singaporean ? If not what passport / pass do you have in Singapore?
I am not a Singaporean. I have Employment pass.
Tough getting a pass as driver for TA then.

Oh, do find A TA who pays enough for EP.

Karl1988

Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by Karl1988 » Mon, 16 Jan 2017 3:25 pm

Hi all,

My partner (24f) has been struggling to even get an interview for any of the jobs she has applied for. We're expats from the UK and have been in Singapore for almost 4 months now (loving the place by the way!). She's got qualifications in Business Admin but due to strict local laws she's not even getting an interview. She's currently on a LTVP. Any advice on the job hunt? She's even happy to be on a local wage, just something to keep her busy and earn some income.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Mon, 16 Jan 2017 7:21 pm

Karl1988 wrote:Hi all,

My partner (24f) ... She's got qualifications in Business Admin but due to strict local laws she's not even getting an interview.... She's even happy to be on a local wage, just something to keep her busy and earn some income.
Uhm, do you know how condescending that sounds "even happy to be on a local wage"? Business Admin qualifications are usually from universities that have no brand name/ image in Singapore, and at 24 she is highly unlikely to have experience that is much, if any, value. Basically, she is probably looking at entry level admin & receptionist roles, and as she is probably monolingual, that will count against her.

To be more helpful - try the International Schools. They often have teacher assistant/ secretarial roles (AIS for example) and being monolingual not so much a problem for the English medium ones

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Jan 2017 11:19 pm

okonu wrote: Uhm, do you know how condescending that sounds "even happy to be on a local wage"? Business Admin qualifications are usually from universities that have no brand name/ image in Singapore, and at 24 she is highly unlikely to have experience that is much, if any, value. Basically, she is probably looking at entry level admin & receptionist roles, and as she is probably monolingual, that will count against her.
and getting LOCs for entry level jobs are getting harder and harder.

Good luck to the OP anyway !

Karl1988

Post by Karl1988 » Tue, 17 Jan 2017 9:30 am

okonu wrote:
Karl1988 wrote:Hi all,

My partner (24f) ... She's got qualifications in Business Admin but due to strict local laws she's not even getting an interview.... She's even happy to be on a local wage, just something to keep her busy and earn some income.
Uhm, do you know how condescending that sounds "even happy to be on a local wage"? Business Admin qualifications are usually from universities that have no brand name/ image in Singapore, and at 24 she is highly unlikely to have experience that is much, if any, value. Basically, she is probably looking at entry level admin & receptionist roles, and as she is probably monolingual, that will count against her.

To be more helpful - try the International Schools. They often have teacher assistant/ secretarial roles (AIS for example) and being monolingual not so much a problem for the English medium ones
I certainly didn't mean to sound condescending so apologies for any offence! Looking through these forums alot of people weren't going for jobs available that were below their expected wage. Thanks for the advice!

terralovina

Post by terralovina » Wed, 31 May 2017 11:30 am

If she is still doing job hunt atm, I would highly suggest her to take some classes/courses to advance her skills & qualifications. The courses will keep her busy and at the same time giving her higher chance to get hired here. Best wishes!

kingmichael

Re: Any photography jobs???

Post by kingmichael » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:48 pm

gfunk777ph wrote:Any photography jobs???

Just resign from a cruise ship and looking for a job here in Singapore. Any help???
Not exactly photography, but just saw the following part time job on Tall Ship Royal Albatross. I've been onboard that ship and she's a beauty. With your cruise ship experience, it might be your cup of tea! Just a thought... https://www.tallship.com.sg/careers/

Mike

kratos

Post by kratos » Sat, 09 Dec 2017 3:51 pm

Hey,

I have received an offer from a company in singapore and the EP processing is underway. While I was almost done interviewing with this company - I had scheduled a interview with another company in Singapore. Both these companies are great, have good teams but I feel I might be a better fit culture wise in the second company.

I could really use some advice as to how to proceed now. Also, what happens if I receive the EP approval from the first company and there is a go ahead for EP processing from the second company?

How does MOM responds to two first time EP applications..?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Dec 2017 8:21 pm

kratos wrote:Hey,

could really use some advice as to how to proceed now. Also, what happens if I receive the EP approval from the first company and there is a go ahead for EP processing from the second company?

If you don't yet have an IPA then filing a new application is no issue....
BUT!
if you get notice that an IPA has been granted, they you are between a rock and a VERY HARD place. First of all, The second employer is going to know that you have an existing IPA in the wild. The second thing is now you have to beg the first employer to withdraw the IPA as the second application will be dead in the works until the first is withdrawn by the first employer. The third thing that can happen is the first employer can be a right royal arse and not withdraw the IPA and then you are stuck. It may cost you some money to get the employer do withdraw as he may very well ticked off having wasted time on you in the first place (time is money) OR the employer may just wait until the IPA runs out (either 3 or 6 months - odds are the second employer wont wait that long) The old sayin' a bird in the had is worth more than two in the bush, springs to mind. AND the forth thing that can happen is if you DO managed to get clear of the first employer in time and take up the offer with the 2nd employer, you have already shown the 2nd employer what kind of an employee you are, e.g, your word is worth a tinkers' dam, so at the first sign of a downturn guess who will be going out the door first? Good Luck with your greed. #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kratos

Post by kratos » Sun, 10 Dec 2017 3:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
kratos wrote:Hey,

could really use some advice as to how to proceed now. Also, what happens if I receive the EP approval from the first company and there is a go ahead for EP processing from the second company?

If you don't yet have an IPA then filing a new application is no issue....
BUT!
if you get notice that an IPA has been granted, they you are between a rock and a VERY HARD place. First of all, The second employer is going to know that you have an existing IPA in the wild. The second thing is now you have to beg the first employer to withdraw the IPA as the second application will be dead in the works until the first is withdrawn by the first employer. The third thing that can happen is the first employer can be a right royal arse and not withdraw the IPA and then you are stuck. It may cost you some money to get the employer do withdraw as he may very well ticked off having wasted time on you in the first place (time is money) OR the employer may just wait until the IPA runs out (either 3 or 6 months - odds are the second employer wont wait that long) The old sayin' a bird in the had is worth more than two in the bush, springs to mind. AND the forth thing that can happen is if you DO managed to get clear of the first employer in time and take up the offer with the 2nd employer, you have already shown the 2nd employer what kind of an employee you are, e.g, your word is worth a tinkers' dam, so at the first sign of a downturn guess who will be going out the door first? Good Luck with your greed. #-o

Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it. I kind of knew what I wanted and felt it was only right to go with the first company, considering so much effort has already gone into it. The pay is identical though.

nahkaiser

Post by nahkaiser » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I am Dan and I'm a national of Vietnam. I have 2.5 years of experience working for a tech startup as a full-stack developer and I am currently looking for opportunities in Singapore to expand my experience. To be upfront, I will need help from the company to apply for a work permit to come work in Singapore. Any advice about this would be much appreciated. I'm contactable via [email protected].

Thank you! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:11 pm

All you have to do is find an employer who is willing to try to hire you. The work passes are tied to the employer, therefore the employer has to apply for the pass for you. So. You need to find an employer who is interested in you and you in them. Once the contract details are satisfactory, then you either verbally or physically sign on the dotted line (contracts for foreigners are not valid until such time as the work pass has been approved). Only then will you get a valid pass. The work pass is NOT transferable between companies, so if you quit your job you lose your work pass and end up on a SVP (social visit pass valid for a maximum of 2 week~1 month - depending on your passport). From that point it is then up the the MOM if a) the company has sufficient quota available or is otherwise not allowed to hire any more foreigners; and b) you qualify for the position, experience and salary for the given position vrs the company should hire a local.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jemison

Post by jemison » Tue, 17 Apr 2018 3:38 am

Hi there. I would like to ask you about remote jobs for software engineer in Singapore. I live in Vietnam. I have 5 years of experience working for iOS app developer. Is there any company in Singapore that is recruiting that position? Thanks you. :)

singapore_job

Jobs in Singapore

Post by singapore_job » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 9:53 am

Hi,
I am a citizen of India and need an EP to work in Singapore.
Infosys made me an offer but could not get an EP.
Next Cognizant failed to get an EP.
Now Comtel solution is trying to get an EP.
Client is OCBC.
All in, for 3 months OCBC has asked company after company to get me an EP but all have failed.
Something wrong with me or with these companies?
Earlier Midntree got me an EP in 2010.
Is Comtel Solution able to get EP these days?
Thanks,
Vikash