Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 9:15 pm

Adel, I'm glad to see you have finally seen the error of your ways and have improved your English to a level that looks like it belongs on this board and not SGForum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

travellar

Post by travellar » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 7:09 pm

4d3L,
I appreciate your response.
Please accept my best wishes.

ciudad bristol

Post by ciudad bristol » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to move from the UK to Singapore. I'm an experienced trade advisor to the business community working at leading UK and international trade bodies and membership organisations. I have extensive experience of managing and marketing projects/products and knowledge of the latest trade policies and legislation and technical standards.

What do you think my chances are of getting a job in Singapore and also do you have any advice?

Cheers

Nick

Roldan R

Post by Roldan R » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 1:02 am

A year after that I was promoted as head nurse in a government hospital here in Singapore.
Is that why you are still posting from the Philippines, spammer?

imhoglo

Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by imhoglo » Wed, 20 May 2015 12:59 am

Hi everyone,

I am a 28-year-old Norwegian teacher looking for a job in Singapore so that I can move there to live with my boyfriend who lives and works there. My subjects are English (M.A.) and French. First of all I'm wondering if anyone here knows if it's possible for me to find a teaching based job by visiting Singapore? Is it a good idea to go to SG to present myself when looking for a job, or should I remain in Norway while I'm looking? Also, do you know if schools accept applications from expats/visiting foreigners without a work visa? Finally, of course I would like to work as a teacher but I wouldn't mind working in other positions either, so do you have any suggestions for what/where a foreigner like me can turn to find something? Previously I have been working as a museum guide, a dance instructor, a nursing assistant and as a hotel receptionist.

Thanks!

donderrickng

Post by donderrickng » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 4:16 pm

Yes, Singapore is a hotbed for jobs in so many industries. But it's also great for setting up businesses whether it's brick & mortar or click & mortar. But in recent years, the internet business seems to be booming and everyone I know has some sort of business running online.

Kepler47

Post by Kepler47 » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 4:20 am

Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum. I am job hunting for a fitting postion in Singapore. I've applied to a lot of positions but I have not gotten any feedback at all.

Sex: Male
Nationality: Zambian
Qualifications: BSc Hons Computing Degree + Advanced Diploma Computer Engineering (Both UK)
Speciality: IT Infrastructure Management
Experience: 8 years

Thing is I have good exposure and skills for the majority of jobs I have been applying to but I have struck no luck. I know it's a competitive job market out there, are there any reputable SG recruitment agencies you can advise I sign up with that can give me a better success rate?

Thanks in advance.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 22 Nov 2015 5:03 am

Unfortunately for you, I judge that your chances of being able to find a job and employment pass are going to be very low.

First, infrastructure jobs are leaving Singapore, both because companies are moving servers, etc to co-located mega datacenters or moving them out of the country entirely... think Malaysian technology corridor.

Second, more and more infrastructure is being remotely managed and configured, usually from tech centers in the Philippines, India, or Malaysia.

Third, when it is actually necessary to go onsite, the tasks are being farmed out to rented suppliers who work for multiple different clients. It takes fewer and fewer techs to manage infrastructure directly onsite anywhere.

IF you are fortunate enough to find someone interested in you, you're going to have to compete against plenty of local talent, as well as foreign talent from India and elsewhere. Without a differentiator, and being as you are not local in town, you are will find an uphill battle to be selected.

Finally, the company that wants to hire you must apply for and receive an employment pass for you. Over and above the fact that the government wants companies to hire locals, you have a second strike against you... you're not from the "usual" countries where IT people come from. MOM may decide you don't fit in.

Kepler47

Post by Kepler47 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 2:57 am

Thanks Strong Eagle for you detailed reply, definitely something to think about.

The HQ of the NGO I work for is in Malaysia. We have a Citrix Server with Amazon Singapore for our financial SaaS functions, so I do agree with you on increase in the IT service outsourcing trend.

I really understand that IT infrastructure management faces a lot of competition, especially in the ASEAN region. I will keep trying my luck though, who knows, something good might just turn up. I know the region and country I live and work will definitely work against me, that's why I have never attended any local universities here. To be frank I have a better chance of landing a job in the EU or US. At least I have had positive response from those regions.

I have seen several IT Management jobs on jobstreet/central, linkedin and other job boards that fit me well. My skillsets match the job ads perfectly well. Though I've not had any positive feedback. Perhaps targeting NGOs would yield better results, I am just thinking out loud here. I would love to find something before March next year.

Ali2016

Re: counselor job in Singapore

Post by Ali2016 » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 11:55 pm

hnj wrote:What can I do with my counseling degree?

I realised this was posted a long time ago. I am moving to singapore soon and wondered if you had any luck with finding a job within the field?

Ali2016

Post by Ali2016 » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:09 am

Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore from the uk very soon (moving because my fiancé has been offered a job there) and would like to know the chances of me finding a similar job to what I do in the uk.

I have a bachelor degree in psychology and a postgrad certificate in cognitive behavioural interventions. I have worked as an assistant psychologist for 4 years and more recently 2 years working as a psychological wellbeing practitioner within the nhs. I have plenty of experience working with clients with depression and anxiety.

I want to know if I would be able to find a practitioner role in Singapore without a master or doctorate degree? If not, what field can I go into?

Thanks in advance :)

dreamyjez

Post by dreamyjez » Wed, 06 Apr 2016 4:01 pm

Ali2016 wrote:Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore from the uk very soon (moving because my fiancé has been offered a job there) and would like to know the chances of me finding a similar job to what I do in the uk.

I have a bachelor degree in psychology and a postgrad certificate in cognitive behavioural interventions. I have worked as an assistant psychologist for 4 years and more recently 2 years working as a psychological wellbeing practitioner within the nhs. I have plenty of experience working with clients with depression and anxiety.

I want to know if I would be able to find a practitioner role in Singapore without a master or doctorate degree? If not, what field can I go into?

Thanks in advance :)
Wow i am also a psychology graduate, but I went into HR, as it is pretty difficult to find a practitioner role in SG without at least a Master. I don't think the regulations have changed much. I think there is association for such professions in UK too right? Similarly, we have a Singapore Psychological Society and Singapore Association of Counselling etc. You can check them out for the eligibility and possible job openings.

Alternatively you can also check out hospitals in Singapore if they are looking - Singhealth, Insititute of Mental Health etc.

My guess is that if you want to practise psychology or counselling here, you need at least Masters. If you want to do therapy, maybe a post grad cert is fine but it depends on the employer.

All the best!

heartart

Post by heartart » Sat, 16 Apr 2016 7:29 pm

okay

BrentB

Post by BrentB » Thu, 19 May 2016 5:17 am

Do I have much of a chance working in Singapore? I am applying now, but am in the early stages and have not yet received feedback.

Degree: Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration
Post-Grad Experience: 3.5+ years
Industry: Life Insurance
Current Title: Contracts and Compensation Coordinator, Lead
Experience: Commission data and contract compliance analytics, excel (Pivot Table, VLookups, etc), customer relations,

Not sure how much information I am able to provide - I'd post my LinkedIn but I'm not sure that is allowed or not.

I've noticed there are a handful of Life Insurance companies headquartered in Singapore, so it gives me hope. But I'm not sure if Singapore prevents expats from working at those companies or not (I've been applying for Assistant Manager type positions). Truth be told, my dream industry would be the media/film/entertainment, but I know that is not reasonable for me to pursue in Singapore without experience. Also, I am willing to work other industries (probably prefer it, actually!).

Let me know what you think or who I can talk to - I've uploaded my resume to recruiting firms but haven't heard back from any of them (just general job posting email).

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 May 2016 6:07 am

Singapore doesn't prohibit foreigners from working in most jobs but the government does make it a preference to hire locals over foreigners unless the company can demonstrate that the skills they need cannot be found locally.

Accounting and related degrees have a large number of local graduates. I judge a company would be very hard pressed to explain why you would be needed over a local, and thus, I judge your chances of securing employment in this sector to be dismal.