Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
skkamandy

Re: Thanks

Post by skkamandy » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:23 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: They'll hire anybody... but what recommends you? You've got no network, no history. You are a CV... and unless it is spectacular... well... why you instead of the guy that can come in tomorrow morning for an interview?
Thank you.
So the companies will consider ppl who have worked in well-known companies like MNC?

I have a chance (offer from parent company in SG ) to relocate me to SG in 2004. However, I rejected it at that moment because of salary cut.
Kam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:55 pm

When you looked at the pay cut, did you factor in the difference in tax rates? Singapore's got one of the lowest income tax rates in the world. You might have actually gotten a raise in disposable income.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 3:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When you looked at the pay cut, did you factor in the difference in tax rates? Singapore's got one of the lowest income tax rates in the world. You might have actually gotten a raise in disposable income.
I agree with SMS as it is I think the top three lowest personal tax rate.

Now, I am thinking out aloud.
The only drag about this is the rebates that comes with it is in the Gahmen hands i.e. the rebates rarely goes to your hand per se.Therefore you are not able to use this rebates the way you see it fits. The Gahmen tells you what you can and cannot do which is basically micro managing the people itself. The rebate money basically stays with the Gahmen . As the Chinese saying goes "It is either left pocket or right pocket" and "Right hand gives out and the other hand takes back"
All my years in SG from Telecom shares to Annual budget rebates etc, I hardly see the rebates money goes to my bank account per se.
There is always strings attached to it.
In Euroland , OZ and NZ, those that is on the lower income bracket gets some assistance from Gahmen if you are PR for more than 2 yrs or its citizen per se. Some will be paid out directly to the agencies or ministries and some will be given out in cash.
During the CHCH earthquake, people are not able to access to ATMs and banks, the Social Developement Ministry gave $1K per person and $500.00 per child under 14 for every household in CHCH. No string attached.
The same thing was done during the Queensland Flashflood.
These are some examples of "human compassion" at work.
SG Gahmen , much to be desired.
I was involved in the Hotel New World Collapsed incident in the 80s, the relief is mediocre and appalling. Sigh ...................
Think about it........................
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

noskich
Regular
Regular

Taxes

Post by noskich » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 8:24 am

For the ones only interested in taxes 0 is way better than 7 or 10 percent.
All of the well paying countries in Middle East (UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman) plus Bahamas, Brunei, Monaco.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:02 am

You can't always work in the Bahamas or Brunei or Monaco. Who wants to work in the Middle East?

We are talking about a nice place to live with most, if not all OR MORE of the comforts of home. Big difference.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 3:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You can't always work in the Bahamas or Brunei or Monaco. Who wants to work in the Middle East?

We are talking about a nice place to live with most, if not all OR MORE of the comforts of home. Big difference.
Well, as I wrote `For the ones only interested in taxes`...
And you cant always work in Singapore either can you?
Who wants? In Bahrein 60% of population are foreigners, in Dubai maybe even up to 80%.

What is a nice place is totally subjective. I do not think Westerners are lacking any comforts in Dubai unless they are gay that love to show up in public or women that cannot live without dressing up extravagantly.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 3:52 pm

noskich wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You can't always work in the Bahamas or Brunei or Monaco. Who wants to work in the Middle East?

Well, as I wrote `For the ones only interested in taxes`...
And you cant always work in Singapore either can you?
Who wants? In Bahrein 60% of population are foreigners, in Dubai maybe even up to 80%.

What is a nice place is totally subjective. I do not think Westerners are lacking any comforts in Dubai unless they are gay that love to show up in public or women that cannot live without dressing up extravagantly.
I wonder how many Jewish people are working there....... :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Latest Kelly Guide

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:29 am

You can download the newest Kelly Salary Guide at the following link:

http://www.smartmanager.com/web/sg/smar ... /home.html

rapapo1

Post by rapapo1 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 8:40 pm

Hey! I am new to this forum but I went through the posts about jobs. What I got (correct me if I am mistaken) is that basically it is not easy to get a job since citizens of Singapore are first choice. But when you get a job you might get the advantage (higher salary) of being foreigner and especially Caucasian.

1) My question is if I get the advantage if I don’t come from Western Europe but let’s say Poland.
2) Also among the job categories I haven’t found one that suits me. I have been working as a consultant and business analyst in one of top consulting companies (so called big 4 company). Also I had an internship in India and short scholarship in Germany (so there is international background). Do I have any chance to get a job for business/strategy/operation consultant or analyst. I do not have much IT background – more project office management, market/strategic analysis experience (about 2 years of experience and master degree in economics).
3) If yes – where should I look first (big multinational corporations coming from “western world”
Last edited by rapapo1 on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapapo1

Post by rapapo1 » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 9:26 pm

Hey!

Does anyone have a clue about things I asked? Maybe just about type/size of companies that most expats you know work for (p. 3)?

That would be really helpful.

Or did I write sth wrong?

rapapo1

Post by rapapo1 » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:11 pm

seriously? nothing?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:32 pm

You do realize it is the evening dinner/supper time now don't you? Maybe people wont be too put off by your pushiness and will answer you when they log in later. One of our moderators, x9200 is Polish I believe, so when he sees this, maybe he'll give you the straight skinny, though you might not like it.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 9:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You do realize it is the evening dinner/supper time now don't you? Maybe people wont be too put off by your pushiness and will answer you when they log in later. One of our moderators, x9200 is Polish I believe, so when he sees this, maybe he'll give you the straight skinny, though you might not like it.
To be fair, rapapo1 has posted since early July and while I would like to help, I know nothing about the big 4 and that field. Let's see if there is someone who knows something who can help. :-/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 9:45 pm

:oops!: :shit:

Sorry about that. I didn't bother to check the time stamps!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:47 pm

I can only try to answer your 1st question and a bit elaborate from somehow broader perspective.
I think it does not matter that much what country within EU you are coming from, more where you are graduated from, with what degree and your employment track record. There are at least two main factors behind the apparently higher (if the case) salaries of the Caucasians - (1) the expat package; (2) willingness to accept lower salaries by people coming from the Asian countries (mainland China, the subcontinent). Additionally I would not say this is an universal truth - many companies, esp. Sate owned or big MNCs with corporate culture do not really distinguish or better say discriminate. If you are aiming at a 4k salary you should forget about any noticeable expat package. Also in the area you mentioned your main concern (my gut feelings, I am not related) should be not to find a job but to get a work pass. It looks to me you very much overestimate your value as a Caucasian and for MOM, the deciding body, it means nothing, plus MOM has a list of recognized academic institutions - are you graduated from one of them? Overall, what matters is what unique qualities you can bring to the table. You have not mentioned anything that seems to give you such advantage. What is your total employment time in this Big4 company? For the work pass you stand better chances to get it with bigger, better established companies but then they may want to hire somebody cheaper and I have the impression they should have no problems with the more local candidates.