Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Jobs in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:25 am

singapore_job wrote:Hi,
I am a citizen of India and need an EP to work in Singapore.
Infosys made me an offer but could not get an EP.
Next Cognizant failed to get an EP.
Now Comtel solution is trying to get an EP.
Client is OCBC.
All in, for 3 months OCBC has asked company after company to get me an EP but all have failed.
Something wrong with me or with these companies?
Earlier Midntree got me an EP in 2010.
Is Comtel Solution able to get EP these days?
Thanks,
Vikash
You have all sorts of problems.

a) You're not being paid enough. How do I know? If you were being paid more, you'd probably have an EP.

b) You are going to be body-shopped, ie, contracted to a third party by the firm that hires you. Singapore doesn't like that any more. They want companies to hire permanent staff, preferably Singapore citizens.

c) You are Indian... so many threads will tell you why this is a hindrance these days.

d) Maybe it is you. Is your degree legitimate and easily verified? Is your work experience sufficient for the job? Are you a job hopper? Have you been in Singapore before and left.

I'd get plan B started... I don't think you're going to have any more success with Comtel... that's only my SWAG.

SankarLP

Post by SankarLP » Thu, 17 May 2018 7:48 pm

I am looking some home tutoring jobs in Singapore and I have found this https://www.crappy-link-removed/singapore/
Could you please suggest me,

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 May 2018 8:34 pm

SankarLP wrote:I am looking some home tutoring jobs in Singapore and I have found this https://www.crappy-link-removed/singapore/
Could you please suggest me,
I'll suggest to you that you are a spammer. If you are looking for home tutoring jobs in Singapore, why are you posting from India?

jimmy759

Post by jimmy759 » Sun, 04 Nov 2018 4:13 pm

Dear Sir,
I'm Jimmy, I'm the one who is hanging out around the world. I have no home, my home might be somewhere with someone I'm still pursuing for, since it resulted from my family background.
My first job is salesperson in Sri-Lanka and Nigeria in 2010 at one company, my second job is Administrative assistant in Ethiopia in 2012. In 2013, I'm at Davao city, Philippine. at the end of 2013, I came to Singapore. last year, I's in Kiribati, a smallest nation in the world, locates at Pacific ocean.
Before, I also have been to Ghana, Fiji island, India, Iraq, Dubai of UAE, Thailand, Laos and others. But Singapore is my favorite.
I can do sales job inside store, supermarket, office, such as telemarketing, as long as I'm familiar with the product I sell.
I'm the one who is working under endless tour :D
I even don't know what exactly I can do as a career.
Still pursue what I do want, what I can do for the society, for the people , for the community.
By the way, I love Singapore.

Sham Kero

Post by Sham Kero » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:44 pm

Hi All

I just landed in Singapore and I will be here for the next 3 months.

I am from UK, London.

Can anyone suggest either a recruiter or a person within a company, who are looking to hire a Product designer/ Project Manager.

Any piece of information will help.

My girlfriend just moved in Singapore 2017, so me and my partner are trying extremely hard to make these 3 months come to good use rather then me applying by online and waiting for a rely by email.

Many Thanks
Sham

Sham Kero

Post by Sham Kero » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:49 pm

Billie Olson wrote:My girlfriend is a lawyer and as we are going to move to Singapore and she is interested in the job. Could you please give me a hint, which website going through for her to find decent job? Will be happy to hear any jobs tips, taking into account that job could be connected with Asian clients. Thank you a lot.
I have started using Linked In and so far I have found this being the most useful tool to meet people within direct business in relation to what I do over in UK and arranging interviews.

If you have any friends in Singapore, its always worth asking them for recommendation.

Wish you and your partner all the best.

Ronald Cover

Post by Ronald Cover » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 8:18 pm

I am 28 years old, I recently moved from the States here and now I work as a freelance programmer. Who has the experience to tell me what documents I need to arrange so that I could officially get a job here? Can someone suggest companies that can help me with this?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:00 pm

Ronald Cover wrote:I am 28 years old, I recently moved from the States here and now I work as a freelance programmer. Who has the experience to tell me what documents I need to arrange so that I could officially get a job here? Can someone suggest companies that can help me with this?
You better not be working as a freelance programmer as that would be illegal. Whomever is hiring you as a freelance programmer is violating the law.

To get a job here, find a company willing to hire you. They will apply for an employment pass, and if the pass is approved, you will be able to work for that company and live in Singapore.

berdavid88

Post by berdavid88 » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 7:57 am

Hi all,

I have visited Singapore last year and since then can’t help but thinking to move there. I am 30 years old and just finished University in London at an average Uni. However, I have work experience in different areas. At my last job I was working as a resources planner(buyer) for a busy brewery. I had to use SAP and excel on a day to day basis.

Since then I have changed my job and pursuing my dream to become a Financial Accountant. I work as a finance assistant for a telecom company using sage 200 and excel on a day to day basis. Mostly doing accounts payable activities but learning towards to became a financial accountant and doing my ACCA. I am planning to finish it in 2-3 years and would move to Singapore. What’s are the chances to get a visa/sponsorship and a decent salary in accounting once I have done my acca and have around 2-3 years working experience in accounting along with several additional years previous working experience?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:56 am

berdavid88 wrote:What’s are the chances to get a visa/sponsorship and a decent salary in accounting once I have done my acca and have around 2-3 years working experience in accounting along with several additional years previous working experience?
About zero.

In addition to my comments in the post I reference below, I would note that accounting jobs are very much the kind of job that the government wishes to reserve for the local population. Students graduating with degrees in accounting and business need career paths and jobs, and it's pretty hard to justify hiring a foreigner.

As to my other pessimistic (but realistic) views of foreigners finding a job in Singapore, read this.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=129649&p=806401#p806401

berdavid88

Post by berdavid88 » Fri, 29 Mar 2019 2:46 am

Thanks for your reply. That’s a bit disappointing but I accept it. I guess Singapore is great partly because it’s immigration policy and I want the country to stay great even if that means I can visit it only for holidays. I will come back for sure. Thanks

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 Mar 2019 3:23 am

berdavid88 wrote:Thanks for your reply. That’s a bit disappointing but I accept it. I guess Singapore is great partly because it’s immigration policy and I want the country to stay great even if that means I can visit it only for holidays. I will come back for sure. Thanks
The best way to get to Singapore is to get transferred in by an MNC. For example, I know a woman who heads up the payables section of an MNC in Singapore. The reason she is there is that she knows the company systems and processes backward and forward and she's senior.

Another example or two: Company upgrading accounting systems and brings in expat talent to implement and train. Hangs on as manager afterward. Or, new SAP based CRM system being implemented. Foreign talent comes in to make it run. Or, MNC is creating an accounting service center... brings in talent to make it happen.

berdavid88

Post by berdavid88 » Fri, 29 Mar 2019 4:51 am

Hi,

Thanks again for the reply. In fact, I just started to work for a multi company and they do have office in Singapore but at the moment I am not sure what are the possibilities to get a transfer. I will see it in the future. And the SAP you mentioned is a good idea as I am really into SAP and ERP systems just need to learn more but I am not planning to move anywhere for a couple of more years so the time is on my side.

Thanks again for your response, will come to your site time to time to get information.

Take care

hiteshmehtani

Post by hiteshmehtani » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 9:05 am

Hi,

I am in Singapore on Dependant Pass since 2 weeks. I started applying for Jobs the day i landed here. I have posted my resume on almost on the recruitment sites. Also have share my resume with many people on LinkedIn but yet to receive a single interview call. I have 12+ years of experience as a Business Analyst. Can somebody help me how to go about the job search. It would be of great help

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:31 am

hiteshmehtani wrote:Hi,

I am in Singapore on Dependant Pass since 2 weeks. I started applying for Jobs the day i landed here. I have posted my resume on almost on the recruitment sites. Also have share my resume with many people on LinkedIn but yet to receive a single interview call. I have 12+ years of experience as a Business Analyst. Can somebody help me how to go about the job search. It would be of great help
Read my threads about the difficulties that foreigners and those on DP face trying to find work in Singapore.