What is the going price for maids in Singapore?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
lstrike

Post by lstrike » Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:21 pm

Hi,

I would like to know what is the going rate for maid services in Singapore?
John Lee

jskogsta

Re: What is the going price for maids in Singapore?

Post by jskogsta » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 5:53 pm

lstrike wrote:Hi,

I would like to know what is the going rate for maid services in Singapore?
From what I hear is that you should budget for 1000 SGD/month. Includes all, but I also believe that you have the 5000 SGD bond or something up front that you have to pay (as an insurance... or something).

??

/Jorgen

lstrike

Post by lstrike » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 3:47 pm

Thanks Jorgen,

I really appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
John
John Lee

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 4:14 pm

The 5K bond is usually arranged by a bankers bond/insurance policy for a couple of hundred. You don't have to fork out 5K up front. You will have the maid agency fee to deal with though. Again, only a couple of hundred because the agencies shaft the maid instead. The (the maid) get royally screwed coming and going! The have to pay (if from the 'peens) an exit permit fee, the 'peens agency fee (several months salary) and the local agency here's fee (up to around 6 months salary. Basically they have to work here for 1 year before they see any month that actually belongs to them. (Just think - just to earn $350/mo. ) :oops: Sorry, touchy topic.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 2:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The 5K bond is usually arranged by a bankers bond/insurance policy for a couple of hundred. You don't have to fork out 5K up front. You will have the maid agency fee to deal with though. Again, only a couple of hundred because the agencies shaft the maid instead. The (the maid) get royally screwed coming and going! The have to pay (if from the 'peens) an exit permit fee, the 'peens agency fee (several months salary) and the local agency here's fee (up to around 6 months salary. Basically they have to work here for 1 year before they see any month that actually belongs to them. (Just think - just to earn $350/mo. ) :oops: Sorry, touchy topic.
Yes it is! I'm happy to see the Philippine government trying to make a stand ST 22nd February. doubling of wages to 400$, the government will train them, they will also attend language courses. Of course Singapore are saying its market forces, that determine income!

They haven't had an increase since 1970. I hope all Countries jump on the band wagon and stop the slavery, although i am aware it will also effect families here on lower income, that need two people working to survive.

This would be a good time for the Singapore government to throw in some subsidies for those on low income, that need maids for their dependants. The problems arise in monitoring the subsidies, which are always abused. :???: so it's got to be the lesser of two evils, i suppose.